Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Insanely Great Mac, Walmart has issued a statement announcing that it will be offering a "limited supply" of the new iPad beginning at 12:01 AM local time at its 24-hour stores in the United States. Walmart's sales will start eight hours before Apple's own retail stores open for business Friday morning.
If you want to be the first person amongst your friends and colleagues to have the new iPad, you will need to head to your local Walmart. Starting at 12:01 a.m. local time on March 16, a limited supply of the new iPad will be available at your local 24-hour Walmart. Other retailers' doors don't open until 8 a.m. local time, so you can get to work on time and beat the rush by coming to Walmart.
walmart_logo.jpg

Several retailers in Australia also offered midnight sales of the new iPad, meaning that some customers have already been able to purchase the device. The teardown experts at iFixit were first in line at a Telstra store in Melbourne and have been dissected an LTE iPad over the past several hours.

Article Link: Walmart to Offer New iPad Beginning at 12:01 AM Local Time

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
One of the most fun games to play at Wal-Mart is to count the people who aren't wearing shoes.

I think I'll wait a little longer after midnight.

badtzwang

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I wonder if this is sanctioned by Apple. It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that Apple would allow.

jeffereyj

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
"If you want to be the first person amongst your friends and colleagues to have the new iPad"

massive eye-roll

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I don't know why, but I feel weird about buying one at Walmart as opposed to the Apple Store or Best Buy.

You can't beat the time though: either shop up at Best Buy or Apple at 8AM or Walmart at midnight....tough choice...

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
One of the most fun games to play at Wal-Mart is to count the people who aren't wearing shoes.

I think I'll wait a little longer after midnight.

So you're that creepy guy standing next to the women's underwear staring at people.

Last edited:

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
"There are 3029 Walmart Supercenters nationwide, and most are open 24 hours"

100,000 iPads = 33 per store and I doubt they'll even get that many...

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Thinking of going to Walmart at Midnight, grab a new iPad, then take it over to the Apple store to brag to everybody waiting in line. HAHA -- I have mine already, and it's not even 8am!!

"See? Retina Display..." I can just imagine the gasps, jealousy, and utter salivating of the iCampers.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
I don't know why, but I feel weird about buying one at Walmart as opposed to the Apple Store or Best Buy.

You can't beat the time though: either shop up at Best Buy or Apple at 8AM or Walmart at midnight....tough choice...

I called my local Wal-Mart, the employee didn't understand that an iPad isn't a Kindle. Then reported a 8:00AM release tomorrow. When asked to check with his superiors, he reported that they have a total of five black 16GB wifi iPads. Which is surprising, considering it truly is one of the largest stores in the region. :roll eyes:

And he mentioned something about an "armed guard" "keepin' em safe." When questioned about his shoes though, he had no response.

----------

Thinking of going to Walmart at Midnight, grab a new iPad, then take it over to the Apple store to brag to everybody waiting in line. HAHA -- I have mine already, and it's not even 8am!!

"See? Retina Display..." I can just imagine the gasps, jealousy, and utter salivating of the iCampers.

Someone did that to us with the iPhone 4 release. The general opinion was not favorable.

Plus you will get jumped. But hey if you want to do that sort of thing, go get jumped.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
I have been to my local 24 hour WM a couple of times this weeks and asked different employees about it. Every single one is clueless as all heck.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I was kidding, I have one coming via FedEx tomorrow morning, so I don't have to worry. White 64GB AT&T 4G model....so I think I will get my sleep tonight.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
I'm scared to wait in line at Walmart for a launch. I tried that one year and it was not a good experience. But on a regular day I love me some Walmart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.