Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
As DigiTimes reports Apple will "soon" release a 14" widescreen iBook and a 15" in 2006.
This proves my theory that soon there will be no 4:3 displays anymore in Apple's line-up. I'm betting my money on a 13" widescreen Powerbook as soon as they go G5, leaving only the 12" iBook and the emac with a 4:3 display.

With Quanta Computer recently securing orders for a new model of the Apple iBook, Asustek has lost its status as the sole contract maker for the popular consumer notebook series, sources close to the deal revealed yesterday.

Quanta, already the biggest contract maker for Apple’s PowerBooks, will start to ship 14.1-inch widescreen iBooks as early as the fourth quarter of 2005, the sources said.

Asustek has also received orders for a new model, the 15.4-inch iBook, which will be launched in 2006, plus follow-up orders for the 12.1-inch iBook and 12.1-inch PowerBook, the sources said.

Both Quanta and Asustek declined to comment on their reported deals with Apple.

However, if the 14.1-inch widescreen notebooks prove popular, Asustek stands to lose a chunk of its OEM notebook business, as the product would replace Apple’s standard 14-inch model, which is manufactured by Asustek, sources in the notebook sector said.

Asustek estimates that it will ship 1.5 million OEM notebooks in 2005, of which 1.2-1.3 million units will go to Apple, sources said.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
It would be good if iBooks got 14 inch wide-screen (1152x768?)

But I doubt they will make 15 inch iBook...

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Yeah, the thing that is weird is that the 14" is supposed to come out 4th quarter 2005 and 2006 already the 15" iBook? This would only make sense if they needed a bigger enclosure for a G5 for example but then why alter the 14" until 2006 at all? I suppose a 14" widescreen ibook makes sense, the 15" half a year or a year later is just weird.
Oh well here comes the speculation.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
I think a 15" iBook makes perfect sense if Apple releases a Powerbook HD. (higher-resolution display)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.