Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vengapat

macrumors regular
May 12, 2016
Thankfully this hasn't happened to me even after playing Civ 6 for a few hours. Kinda scared to boot into windows now. Hoping to see some sort of fix soon.

I would get rid of your Bootcamp partition until a fix is released. My problem didn't occur right away either.

TheMarkness

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
The thing is.. no one who didn't install windows faced the same problem.

Any one guys??

A good test is to crank your speakers up max volume say 80% iTunes and 90% Windows and listen, you can't notice it normally because typically only one speaker will cut / limit protect. If you load the youtube video I posted or launch something like a mono podcast that sends same audio to both channels pan left and right to notice. I don't honestly think Bootcamp destroyed speakers, mine sound fine as long as I don't push over that limit.

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
All those who install bootcamp on 15" have this problem? Or just some?
I haven't experienced this problem and I played games with bootcamp over my speakers. I think I'm going to continue to do so, but leave headphones plugged in just to be sure.

serniko97

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks.
If they are all faulty I will replace them one by one at Apple Store until they solve the issue.
I'm very angry because computers so expensive can't have these faults.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stores don't have BTO configs except 2.9/1TB/460. And only select locations have that.

With 50 or so combinations on 15" between colour, CPU, GPU and storage support for these is going to be interesting.

lukicharms

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
I got my MacBook 15" 2.7ghz/512/455
Was working fine until I installed windows 10 with bootcamp. While in bootcamp the right speaker made a loud crackle sound and started rattling, i took it to the apple store and got it swapped out. I just installed bootcamp the same way adjusted the sound and the same loud crackle came from the right speaker... I will be going to the apple store in the morning to get it replaced yet again and keep away from bootcamp until the problem is fixed.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I heard that buzz sounds in windows briefly, then have been using earphones ever since. The speakers are fine.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
Alright, I've been plugged into my speakers every time I use windows and it's fine. I've played more than a few hours of COD on windows and haven't run into any problems. I just make sure the headphone jack is plugged in when I boot into it. I won't boot into it without headphones until I've heard something further

TheMarkness

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Anyone here tried the driver the apple insider article is referring to ?

Installed and made no difference for me (not sure where they got it pointed to them). I only had the 2-3 pops first boot up into Bootcamp, no more sense but I assume the damage was already done then? I can listen to my speakers all day long @ 65%~ish under 70, hours on end Mac and Windows sounds excellent, soon as I go above that with music it cuts the highs on the right side.

HarryCX

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
New York City
I have the exact issue. Installed Windows in Boot Camp and only performed the activation (no gaming, no music, etc.). Just tested my speakers under macOS and the right one now has horrible distortion at max volume. Will bring it to an Apple Store tomorrow.

15'', 2.7GHz, 460, 512GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.