Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I hear this sound sometimes. Maybe it's just coincidence but I heard it once right when I clicked the trackpad in, so I felt like the sound originated from right under the trackpad.

Yeah, if I get my hands on the right tool I'm going to remove the battery and see what's going on under there. I think it's trackpad-related also.

EBH

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Hi i have the same problem with i5, got its exchanged for a new one and its still making the metallic pin-drop sound even when the machine is off. I went to the apple store yesterday and the genius rep said it was normal which is stupid really,i showed him those pictures above he opened the back casing and tightened some screws of two brackets but thats about it but no joy the noise is still there. Its definitely not the hard drive or optical drive going faulty!. :mad:

The fact that they swapped the first one seems to indicate that Apple doesn't have a clue about this. What do you think the chances are that a fix from Apple will become available? If this applies to every single 2010 15" sold then they really must act...

geeza3k

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
The noise is not made by provoking or shaking it, its reproduced thru normal movement let say using the trackpad or perhaps moving it from the desk etc. It also does the clicks when the machine is off so it cannot be the sms. Both i5 machines i have had in the two weeks reproduce this sound, its a mystery...

i did escalate it, so we see what happens i forgot to mention the genius rep herd the noise and tried to offer me a 3rd exchange on my i5 within two weeks to quickly resolve this issue but i denied because i know for a fact the problem with still be there!

patrickf666

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
same problem here...with the MBP 2009 C2D and the MBP 2010 i7...
it seems to be a "unibody problem"....

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The noise is not made by provoking or shaking it, its reproduced thru normal movement let say using the trackpad or perhaps moving it from the desk etc. It also does the clicks when the machine is off so it cannot be the sms. Both i5 machines i have had in the two weeks reproduce this sound, its a mystery...

i did escalate it, so we see what happens i forgot to mention the genius rep herd the noise and tried to offer me a 3rd exchange on my i5 within two weeks to quickly resolve this issue but i denied because i know for a fact the problem with still be there!

I hope they can definitively tell you what it is. It doesn't bother me but it's made me insanely curious!

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
california
How could it be the SMS if the sound is made when the computer is off and people with SSDs hear it? I also no longer think it's the brackets but that doesn't mean it has to be the SMS.

it is in my case. This thread got completely hijacked by people who heard ANY kind of noise. The noise that i was originally talking about has to be the sudden motion sensor, because it only happens if the computer is on, it comes directly from where the hard drive is, and I have eliminated the wobbly brackets from the equation. So for me, the mystery is solved. As for everyone else, I can't say.

OlegShv

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
outer Shpongolia
I have a similar kind of clicking noise in my 15" 2.53 GHz i5, even when the machine is off. I can confirm that it originates somewhere near the trackpad. I plan on replacing the stock HDD with hitachi 500g7200 drive this weekend. I will try to find the cause when I will take the machine apart.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

Any word?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I brought back my i7 15 inch MBP because of clicking. The apple employee said that it was the fail safe motion sensor for the HD and that it was engaging more than it should. They replaced the machine no problem

netadmin

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Orange County
I've had the same noise since I got mine last month. I don't have SSD but it does it when the Mac is powered off to. 2010 MBP i7 15" with high-res.

Anyone know what I have to do to get it replaced with a brand new one? I ordered it online do I just take it to the apple store and demand a new one?

macphin

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
Obviously this can't be brackets, because these brackets are used as fixing for the back case. So when you tighten the back case with screws, they are not moving anymore.

jon31rm

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2007
In my experience, I've noticed two types of noises.

The first is a tapping, dull clicking noise that I have beyond doubt determined is the result of the bracket part in the center of the computer. The noise can be replicated by moving the computer on a non-flat surface.

The second noise is a soft, high-pitched CLINKing noise, like tapping a dinner plate with a fork. This noise was observed periodically while using the trackpad.

I just had my trackpad replaced for a non-related issue, and have yet to hear the second described noise since it was replaced last week.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The fix posted above works. I removed the piece this morning and have been using my MBP on my chest for about an hour in bed. This is when the noise is most apparent - on an uneven surface in a quiet room - but it has been completely silent. I would also hear it randomly when clicking the trackpad, but that is also gone now. I'm SO happy to have finally found out what caused this annoying noise.

It made me question the build quality of the machine I spent $2400 on and is supposed to last me through med school. I started to think that it was just the bottom case pushing against the screws making creaking noises.

Thanks so much for posting the link to the Apple boards!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.