Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023

Long story short, 8 GB RAM is still completely fine for a Mac, even if it doesn't make sense for most Windows PCs anymore. More RAM will always be better, but if you don't already have an idea of how much memory you need in a computer, save some money and skip the more expensive memory options.

There is a plethora of reviewers that think 8 GB in a Mac is enough.

Last edited:

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

I completely agree. This is the reason I get frustrated by statements like: "No M2 MacBook with only 8GB of RAM is ever worth it." It is hyperbolic and demonstrably false. For typical college students, office workers, and people that just want a reliable home computer, these are great laptops. And, these folks make up a big potion of the consumers. We are not talking about a niche use case. We are talking about a large use case....perhaps the largest.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
First off, the fact that the Op has a work computer that satisfies his heavy lifting needs is in fact important because it relates to the less pressing requirements he has for his personal computer.

Again, my point is that a work computer is not a personal computer and a personal computer is not a work computer. It's generally unwise to use a work computer for personal tasks and vice versa. So, unless the OP's personal needs are really low outside of their career, that is not a good metric ever.

Second off, of people have opinions about 8GB, many of which are running stupid speed and swap tests….. but the proof is in the pudding and people use these computers everyday to do actual work and studies without problems.

First off, "the proof is in the pudding" is meaningless here. You're talking explicitly and solely about customer satisfaction. Nothing else. You're also talking about a demographic of folks that don't want to spend any more money on a Mac than they absolutely have to. However, as is the case with all computers, you get what you pay for. Except, for some reason Apple thinks selling a computer costing more than $950 with 8GB of RAM is acceptable and, for some reason, folks will not only buy it anyway, but waste time on these forums to defend the merit of doing so.

Third off, this swap memory thing has been completely debunked. Most people keep their laptops for 5 or so years and they will be just fine.

That statistic is grossly outdated. The economy is trash. Most people buying any MacBook Air will be trying to hold onto it for as long as possible. I guarantee you that there will be M1 MacBook Air owners still trying to use their Mac in 2020, assuming it still even works by then. If you bought a base model M1 in 2020 and are financially well off enough, you might look into getting an M3 model. Most of us aren't that wealthy.

Fourth off, what matters is how people use their computers and if it performs smoothly and meets their requirements. All the rest is just BS. Just searching for problems that don’t exist.
You are conveniently leaving out money as a factor. Some of us can't afford to spend $1099 and only walk away with 8GB of RAM, no matter how good of a job Apple does at making me forget that RAM is still RAM and that, for the average use case, 8GB of RAM isn't a comfortable amount anymore. It's great that you live in a much wealthier world than that. But you ought to consider that for many of us out there, a Mac is a serious investment and it's seldom inconvenient to buy a low-end model with the idea that it'll be replaced in 3-5 years (like it's still the 2000's).

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I can play that game too!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sorry-apple-turns-8gb-memory-153336101.html

https://cybernews.com/tech/8gb-mac-painfully-slow-browsing-what-i-did/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-is-wrong-about-macbook-memory/

https://itnerd.blog/2023/11/09/__trashed-13/

https://www.macworld.com/article/2130071/entry-level-m3-macbook-pro-8gb-memory-ram-performance.html

I completely agree. This is the reason I get frustrated by statements like: "No M2 MacBook with only 8GB of RAM is ever worth it." It is hyperbolic and demonstrably false.

Incidentally, you're actually taking offense to it like I insulted your child or significant other and conveniently ignoring the actual point which is that any M2 MacBook with only 8GB of RAM is a bad value for the cost. Cool that it works for you. Very glad YOU enjoy it. And I never said that there aren't people out there that also enjoy it. But NONE of that negates my point at all.

For typical college students, office workers, and people that just want a reliable home computer, these are great laptops.

For the cost, they are sub-par. There are plenty of sub-par value computers that are great and that people enjoy using. Those two are not mutually exclusive. Incidentally, I don't mind using an 8GB of RAM equipped Apple Silicon computer from time to time. Though, long term, I can tell you right now that I'd hate it even for casual uses.

And, these folks make up a big potion of the consumers. We are not talking about a niche use case. We are talking about a large use case....perhaps the largest.
Yes. Again, you're talking about people who literally buy the cheapest thing they can afford because money is at a premium and Apple doesn't sell any notebook computer under $999. You are also talking about people that don't understand specs and are only looking at price tags. There are swaths of Windows users that go into Costco and Best Buy all the time overjoyed that they can spend $400 and walk out of there with something running Windows 11 Home with S Mode, 8GB of RAM, and a 128GB eMMC drive because that's all they can afford. The same is absolutely true of anyone who believes that the only computer to buy is a Macintosh but can't afford to buy anything lower than the base model.

Fun fact, you'll have those same people buying the M2 model and not the M1 model out of perception that the M2 model is current generation and that the older one won't be a good value. Clearly, customers care about value. M2 vs. M1 is understandable marketing to a computer novice. 8GB vs. 16GB is not.

The thing you talk about here is more nuanced than you are giving credit for. Incidentally, I suspect you don't really care about these merits as much as defending the fact that you purchased one of these machines and are insulted by the fact that I don't think they're of good value. Maybe try not to take these things so personally...?

• Haha
Reactions: B.Bain

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sorry-apple-turns-8gb-memory-153336101.html

https://cybernews.com/tech/8gb-mac-painfully-slow-browsing-what-i-did/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-is-wrong-about-macbook-memory/

https://itnerd.blog/2023/11/09/__trashed-13/

https://www.macworld.com/article/2130071/entry-level-m3-macbook-pro-8gb-memory-ram-performance.html

Incidentally, you're actually taking offense to it like I insulted your child or significant other and conveniently ignoring the actual point which is that any M2 MacBook with only 8GB of RAM is a bad value for the cost. Cool that it works for you. Very glad YOU enjoy it. And I never said that there aren't people out there that also enjoy it. But NONE of that negates my point at all.

For the cost, they are sub-par. There are plenty of sub-par value computers that are great and that people enjoy using. Those two are not mutually exclusive. Incidentally, I don't mind using an 8GB of RAM equipped Apple Silicon computer from time to time. Though, long term, I can tell you right now that I'd hate it even for casual uses.

Yes. Again, you're talking about people who literally buy the cheapest thing they can afford because money is at a premium and Apple doesn't sell any notebook computer under $999. You are also talking about people that don't understand specs and are only looking at price tags. There are swaths of Windows users that go into Costco and Best Buy all the time overjoyed that they can spend $400 and walk out of there with something running Windows 11 Home with S Mode, 8GB of RAM, and a 128GB eMMC drive because that's all they can afford. The same is absolutely true of anyone who believes that the only computer to buy is a Macintosh but can't afford to buy anything lower than the base model.

Fun fact, you'll have those same people buying the M2 model and not the M1 model out of perception that the M2 model is current generation and that the older one won't be a good value. Clearly, customers care about value. M2 vs. M1 is understandable marketing to a computer novice. 8GB vs. 16GB is not.

The thing you talk about here is more nuanced than you are giving credit for. Incidentally, I suspect you don't really care about these merits as much as defending the fact that you purchased one of these machines and are insulted by the fact that I don't think they're of good value. Maybe try not to take these things so personally...?
The issue is not how I feel personally. The issue is that you are making blanket statements that are misleading. And you keep doing it, e.g. "You are also talking about people that don't understand specs and are only looking at price tags." and "you're talking about people who literally buy the cheapest thing they can afford because money is at a premium and Apple doesn't sell any notebook computer under $999." That is just plain not true for me, my family and many others. Also, I can afford to buy any computer Apple makes. And, I got in the position of being able to buy whatever I want by getting good value in my buying decisions. So, I got the base model because I thought it was a good value for my needs....just like all of the other base MBAs I have purchased over the years. I measure value by a number of parameters including quality of build, reliability, operating system, speakers, trackpad/keyboard, customer satisfaction, ecosystem, and most importantly how well it meets my needs. You are measuring value by one parameter: $/GB RAM.....regardless of how well the computer meets the needs of the consumer.

You keep assuming you know better than millions of consumers about what they need and what they value. Next time try to make your comments relevant to your requirements and your use case rather than sweeping generalizations about others.

Last edited:
Reactions: B.Bain and jdb8167

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The issue is not how I feel personally. The issue is that you are making blanket statements that are misleading. And you keep doing it, e.g. "You are also talking about people that don't understand specs and are only looking at price tags." and "you're talking about people who literally buy the cheapest thing they can afford because money is at a premium and Apple doesn't sell any notebook computer under $999." That is just plain not true for me, my family and many others. Also, I can afford to buy any computer Apple makes.

The statement in bold tells me everything I need to know about how out of touch you are with the average low-end Mac purchasing demographic.

How many people do you consult for when it comes to tech purchasing decisions? Do you do this sort of thing for a living or is this something you dabble in whenever a friend or relative asks?

I ask because I actually DO this stuff for a living. And when I'm off the clock, I still do it! I live and breathe this stuff and for everyone I consult, I do so, not from the standpoint of a techie. But from the standpoint of someone who wants a computer to last as long as humanly possible. Not someone who can afford to buy any computer Apple makes. There are fewer people like you in that regard.

Incidentally, I'm guiding people not toward whatever fits snugly today. But what will be continuing to run smoothly several macOS releases down the road, because, UNLIKE you, most of the people I'm guiding CAN'T afford to buy any computer that Apple makes and they need to spend WISELY to make sure that what they buy lasts them as long as possible.

And, I got in the position of being able to buy whatever I want by getting good value in my buying decisions.

Shortchanging yourself on RAM doesn't sound like the how-to-get-rich strategy that will ultimately make a difference. Then again, you can afford to buy low-end Macs every 3-5 years rather than spending the $200-400 extra to stretch that out to 7-10 years, clearly overlooking the fact that this is poor value, even RAM is not something that ultimately matters to you.

So, I got the base model because I thought it was a good value for my needs....just like all of the other base MBAs I have purchased over the years. I measure value by a number of parameters including quality of build, reliability, operating system, speakers, trackpad/keyboard, customer satisfaction, ecosystem, and most importantly how well it meets my needs.

But not longevity and future-proofing because you're rich and can afford to buy something new whenever you want. Got it.

You keep assuming you know better than millions of consumers about what they need and what they value.

I have 28 Apple certifications. I have 5 Jamf certifications. I've got 11 Microsoft certifications. I work with tech-illiterate consumers EVERY FREAKIN' DAY OF MY LIFE and have for several years. When I'm not a tech practictioner, I'm a tech consultant. It is literally my bread and butter to make sure my users are on not only what will serve them today, but what will serve them well into the next decade. Yeah, I definitely know better than millions of consumers who don't care about specs differences nor understand the potential long term ramifications therein. But, please, go ahead and enjoy your M2 MacBook Air and tell me all about how long 8GB of RAM will be good for, since I'm guessing your vast wealth also afforded you a crystal ball. :rolleyes:

Next time try to make your comments relevant to your requirements and your use case rather than sweeping generalizations about others.
My requirements and the requirements of the thousands of folks I support are two different things. Incidentally, you might want to heed your own advice.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023

Whatever. You want a participation trophy? 4" or 8"? All that proves is that there are opinions both ways. You are not the absolute authority. To chastise others for their opinion and elevating your opinion to the only one that matters is just plain silly.

I have 28 Apple certifications. I have 5 Jamf certifications. I've got 11 Microsoft certifications. I work with tech-illiterate consumers EVERY FREAKIN' DAY OF MY LIFE and have for several years.

And who is this supposed to impress? If you want to toss out credentials so be it. I have been in this game longer than you. I have written operating systems. I have written compilers. I have written interpreters. I have developed WEB applications. I have written device drivers. I have managed multi-million dollar installations. I have authored 28 articles on computer systems. I have 50 or more certificates that have been obtained over the years. I have worked with tech illiterate users for dozens of years.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Whatever. You want a participation trophy? 4" or 8"? All that proves is that there are opinions both ways. You are not the absolute authority. To chastise others for their opinion and elevating your opinion to the only one that matters is just plain silly.

You post articles to prove a point. When someone else posts articles (let alone by prominent Mac publications like Macworld), it's silly? Double-standard much?

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the only opinions being chastised here are mine. But whatever, man.

And who is this supposed to impress?

It was countering the person I was replying to who suggested that I didn't know what I was talking about. I know what I'm talking about. This is my livelihood and life. It's not meant to impress anyone who isn't a recruiter and it's certainly not meant to impress you.

If you want to toss out credentials so be it.

I really don't and for the reasons above. But you do you, man.

I have been in this game longer than you. I have written operating systems. I have written compilers. I have written interpreters. I have developed WEB applications. I have written device drivers. I have managed multi-million dollar installations. I have authored 28 articles on computer systems. I have 50 or more certificates that have been obtained over the years.

None of that is even remotely applicable to the topic at hand. Literally everything I've done with my professional life has been in service to end users. If you want to have a proper pissing contest, then at least compare apples to apples.

I have worked with tech illiterate users for dozens of years.

Not sure how I'm supposed to react to this one. Great? Good for you? So have I? Like, what am I supposed to do with that?

To put it bluntly and quote your phrase, "Incidentally, you might want to heed your own advice".

I already do. I speak from experience WITH THE COMPUTERS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. I have used Apple Silicon Macs with only 8GB of RAM and for incredibly basic computing tasks. Unless you don't browse the web much, or are good about only running one or two things at a time, it's better than a 2018-2020 Intel MacBook Air, but still not ideal for the long haul. I have evaluated that separately for both my own use cases, as well as the use cases of several Mac users that I've consulted for. I am more than confident in my findings. Thanks for caring, though!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Well, I got the space gray 15" M2 MBA today. To me, it's pretty darn sweet. I still like my 13" M1 MBA (prob will sell, but heck, may keep it for a bit too...we'll see). But after just brief use tonight, I'd say:
  • Screen is huge! I set the resolution to 1920x1243 so it is about same pixel size as the M1 13", but getting a lot more content on the screen. Very nice.
  • Speaker quality is much richer. Even though no grills on the left/right of the kayboard, it sounds much better playing music.
  • FaceTime with my daugher away at college tonight was much sharper on her end (and seemed maybe a little clearer to me, but could be placebo).
  • Screen seems a tad brighter at same 50% setting I had on the 13" M1
  • Speed and performance I'd say is about the same. Not running benchmarks, but just using MS Office apps and Chrome mainly so far.
  • Getting used to the non-wedge design, which I always liked. I'm sure I'll adapt. For the footprint, almost seems too thin!
  • I kinda preferred the narrower keys on the top function row of the 13" M1, but not to big of a deal.
Anyway, all positive so far and at $1000, I think a pretty decent deal. Until I see the M3 Air specs probably in a few weeks :)

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Yeah, I definitely know better than millions of consumers who don't care about specs differences nor understand the potential long term ramifications therein.

wow! you truly know more than millions of consumers and what these consumers know about RAM?
You must be running a multi million dollar company and still got ''some spare'' time for forums such as this one...
Could you please state your knowledge of millions of consumers with hard facts please? tnx!

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The statement in bold tells me everything I need to know about how out of touch you are with the average low-end Mac purchasing demographic.

How many people do you consult for when it comes to tech purchasing decisions? Do you do this sort of thing for a living or is this something you dabble in whenever a friend or relative asks?

I ask because I actually DO this stuff for a living. And when I'm off the clock, I still do it! I live and breathe this stuff and for everyone I consult, I do so, not from the standpoint of a techie. But from the standpoint of someone who wants a computer to last as long as humanly possible. Not someone who can afford to buy any computer Apple makes. There are fewer people like you in that regard.

Incidentally, I'm guiding people not toward whatever fits snugly today. But what will be continuing to run smoothly several macOS releases down the road, because, UNLIKE you, most of the people I'm guiding CAN'T afford to buy any computer that Apple makes and they need to spend WISELY to make sure that what they buy lasts them as long as possible.

Shortchanging yourself on RAM doesn't sound like the how-to-get-rich strategy that will ultimately make a difference. Then again, you can afford to buy low-end Macs every 3-5 years rather than spending the $200-400 extra to stretch that out to 7-10 years, clearly overlooking the fact that this is poor value, even RAM is not something that ultimately matters to you.

But not longevity and future-proofing because you're rich and can afford to buy something new whenever you want. Got it.

I have 28 Apple certifications. I have 5 Jamf certifications. I've got 11 Microsoft certifications. I work with tech-illiterate consumers EVERY FREAKIN' DAY OF MY LIFE and have for several years. When I'm not a tech practictioner, I'm a tech consultant. It is literally my bread and butter to make sure my users are on not only what will serve them today, but what will serve them well into the next decade. Yeah, I definitely know better than millions of consumers who don't care about specs differences nor understand the potential long term ramifications therein. But, please, go ahead and enjoy your M2 MacBook Air and tell me all about how long 8GB of RAM will be good for, since I'm guessing your vast wealth also afforded you a crystal ball. :rolleyes:

My requirements and the requirements of the thousands of folks I support are two different things. Incidentally, you might want to heed your own advice.
So, how exactly are you going to future proof this thing by purchasing more RAM? Eligibility for MacOS updates have nothing to do with the RAM in your computer. It is solely based on Model and Year. In the case of MacBooks, you generally get 5-6 years of updates.

Also, in 5-6 years apple care has long expired. You probably dropped the computers a few times. Maybe it got knocked off a table a few times. It's beat up. Keys are worn. Battery is losing life. So, you go shopping. Look, the new model has MagSafe, a better camera, slightly bigger screen, Touch ID, new M chip with incredible battery life, and oh yeah.....it gets the latest OS updates with some features/functions that you value. Hey, you got 5-6 great years from your old MBA but it's time to trade it in for $150 and get a new one on sale for $899 at BB or wherever. That's $750, or less than a Starbucks drip coffee per week. Does this sound like a rich guy buying strategy? Does this sound like a crappy value? Should a person really buy RAM they don't need on a bet that they will want to keep that computer well past its eligibility for OS updates? Not to mention the fact that they might need to replace the computer anyway because of wear and tear. Maybe. Perhaps. But, not necessarily a good investment or value proposition.

Tying to keep a laptop as long as humanly possible is not always the best strategy to maximize value.

Reactions: jdb8167

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Again, my point is that a work computer is not a personal computer and a personal computer is not a work computer. It's generally unwise to use a work computer for personal tasks and vice versa. So, unless the OP's personal needs are really low outside of their career, that is not a good metric ever.

Someone that he’s self employed don't need to have two separate computers (work and personal), special if they working from the house.

You are conveniently leaving out money as a factor. Some of us can't afford to spend $1099 and only walk away with 8GB of RAM, no matter how good of a job Apple does at making me forget that RAM is still RAM and that, for the average use case, 8GB of RAM isn't a comfortable amount anymore. It's great that you live in a much wealthier world than that. But you ought to consider that for many of us out there, a Mac is a serious investment and it's seldom inconvenient to buy a low-end model with the idea that it'll be replaced in 3-5 years (like it's still the 2000's).

If you’re looking at your Mac as a serious long term investment for the next 7-10 years, then instead of buying base model Mac, you should invest in higher models with more RAM (and storage).

That's why they give several model options plus BTO... even if it's costly.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Someone that he’s self employed don't need to have two separate computers (work and personal), special if they working from the house.

If you’re looking at your Mac as a serious long term investment for the next 7-10 years, then instead of buying base model Mac, you should invest in higher models with more RAM (and storage).

That's why they give several model options plus BTO... even if it's costly.
I get your point about buying more RAM if you are going to keep the laptop for 7-10 years. I just see that as being unlikely. There are exceptions, but as I said, laptops get beat up and worn down. Battery life fades. Apple care expires. Eligibility for MacOS updates elapse after 5-6 years regardless of RAM because they are based on Model/Year. New and improved features are added to the latest models that consumers may need or value, such as Touch ID or better FaceTime camera. Tech devices are, by their nature, rapidly depreciating items. Keeping a laptop for 10 years might not always be the best way to optimize value, which is a subjective thing based on individual consumer requirements and preferences.

For me, there is no way I can look at almost any piece of tech and say, "Oh yeah, I am likely to still want to use this thing a decade from now." because I have no idea what other technology options or requirements I might have in 10 years. Given the fact that components might wear out or break in the intervening time anyway, trying to future proof against a decade of technology advancement seems like a poor bet.

For example, in 5-6 years, Apple might finally make an iPad that gets me to abandon a laptop all together. Who knows...just one example.

Last edited:

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I get your point about buying more RAM if you are going to keep the laptop for 7-10 years. I just see that as being unlikely. There are exceptions, but as I said, laptops get beat up and worn down. Battery life fades. Apple care expires. Eligibility for MacOS updates elapse after 5-6 years regardless of RAM because they are based on Model/Year. New and improved features are added to the latest models that consumers may need or value, such as Touch ID or better FaceTime camera. Tech devices are, by their nature, rapidly depreciating items. Keeping a laptop for 10 years might not always be the best way to optimize value, which is a subjective thing based on individual consumer requirements and preferences.

For me, there is no way I can look at almost any piece of tech and say, "Oh yeah, I am likely to still want to use this thing a decade from now." because I have no idea what other technology options or requirements I might have in 10 years. Given the fact that components might wear out or break in the intervening time anyway, trying to future proof against a decade of technology advancement seems like a poor bet.

Maybe it’s important for you to have the latest and the greatest, and thats why it’s a poor bet, but you shouldn’t consider wear out or break as part of it, it might happen or not…

In the end it’s only computer, many don’t care if it’s brand new one or a 10 year old machine, as long as it serves their needs. And more RAM and bigger storage will increase the possibility to keep it longer.

Whether you see it as good value or not is another story, but that doesn't mean others think the same as you.

PS, My last MBP worked for 9 years without any issues, then took another couple of years till it die… I would say I got great value for how much it cost.

Last edited:

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Maybe it’s important for you to have the latest and the greatest, and thats why it’s a poor bet, but you shouldn’t consider wear out or break as part of it, it might happen or not…

In the end it’s only computer, many don’t care if it’s brand new one or a 10 year old machine, as long as it serves their needs. And more RAM and bigger storage will increase the possibility to keep it longer.

Whether you see it as good value or not is another story, but that doesn't mean others think the same as you.
Oh, I agree 100%. It is very much a personal decision, and the notion of "value" is very much dependent on individual consumer preferences.

Honestly, I am not a person that buys new tech every year to have the last and greatest. What usually triggers me to start looking around is when I am no longer eligible for OS updates.....usually after 5-6 years.

BTW - One of the things I value as a consumer is the Apple ecosystem and unfortunately, having an up to date OS is often necessary to take full advantage of that ecosystem.

Reactions: geta

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I hope the OP enjoys his MacBook Air. It's a shame when such threads get sidetracked by the seemingly inevitable arguments, in this case what constitutes enough memory. We all have our opinions, and personal experiences of using Macs. Mine are these: I began using Macs professionally in the mid-90s for desktop publishing to produce a magazine. I used a Performa 450 desktop machine. It was an entry-level model and there were various other Macs far more powerful and with many superior attributes –larger hard drives, faster processors, more memory, etc, but the prices were hugely prohibitive and I bought what I could afford. I succeeded in publishing my magazine.

Since then, my G3 iMac, also entry-level and used for DTP/magazine work, my MacBook 2009, MacBook Air (eleven inch) 2015 and MacBook Air 2016 have all been entry level machines. The technology has evolved and been refined over the years but each machine has more than sufficed for what I needed to do. Each one was in service for several year (not just three but much longer). I am using the eleven-inch MacBook Air (4GB memory) for editing work even now. It remains on a recent upgrade to Catalina from Mojave due to the 4GB memory limitation but it has been a wonderful workhorse for nine years. Nine years!

So, my point is that trying to argue in the definitive ways reflected in some earlier posts is surely futile if trying to genuinely ascertain where the amount of memory lies in the importance of personal computer usage. My own conclusions from experience are that it depends on the user and the usage. No surprise there. Apple's global success is shaped by numerous technological and business decisions. I would say that a not insignificant one of these would be the awareness that selling a computer that was 'no good for the job' would damage the company's business interests and eat away at its market. I think it's remarkable how powerful, useful and reliable all their machines tend to be (dodgy keyboards and the like excepted).

Would I like my next laptop to come with more memory at the entry level. Of course. I'm no different from others who like a bang for their buck. But I don't think I'd have sleepless nights worrying about the efficiency of my MacBook Air (in relation to the work I do) if I went for the entry level machine. I would simply expect it to do the job. Anyone with more demanding tasks would surely have the sense to do due diligence and buy the right machine for their own user requirements. Again, no surprise. That's the reality as I experience it and see it. Presumably millions more Mac users share a similar experience.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Thanks. I see that it is on sale at Best Buy for $999.
I'm still in absolute awe of how cheap you can a Mac in the US. I keep seeing absolutely killer deals on the US sites for places like Amazon and Best Buy, but up in Canada, we get a sale prices of like $50 off a $2499 computer, and they expect us to get all excited about it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm still in absolute awe of how cheap you can a Mac in the US. I keep seeing absolutely killer deals on the US sites for places like Amazon and Best Buy, but up in Canada, we get a sale prices of like $50 off a $2499 computer, and they expect us to get all excited about it.

Base models really have plunged here

999 is the new regular sale price for 15 inch air

Cheaper than ever accounting for inflation and all that

arcite

macrumors 6502a

This right here man. In most other countries in the world Macs are EXPENSIVE and vastly marked up (due to taxes, duty, currency differences). Americans are truly spoilt. They live in a land of plenty, where the latest tech gets vast discounts on special holidays like Black Friday. Anyway, 8 gigs is perfectly fine for MOST people. I’m not sure what others are doing on their AIR, which doesn’t have a fan —- so it’ll throttle if you throw too much at it anyway.

My 15 Air has the default 8 gigs, and sure, I get memory pressure from time to time (yea, the stat bar goes brown), big deal; it‘s usually due to a poorly optimized web page hogging memory. Mac OS itself is very memory efficient, and I wager for the vast majority of 15 air users out there, 8 gigs is perfectly fine, even for the next 5 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.