Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
I know this has been noted in the comments for the news story, but just wanted to separate this out.

When a 15" has the CPU and HD matched to the 17", the price for the 15 is actually $100 more. $2899 15" vs $2799 17"

Then you get a bigger screen, extra USB, 8x SD, and FW800.

I know most of those are impossible to put on the 15" (the SD particularly).

But still, I mean, what gives? Just seems like anybody looking at the pricing between the two will get the 17".

If you really need mobility you use the 12", or you'll wait for the 13.3" widescreen Intel replacement. Hauling a 15 or 17 to work isn't that much of a difference to me. I mean the 17 only weighs 6.8lbs. That's less than some 15" laptops. Anyway, point is, why would you pay more for something with the same power and less features, since the mobility difference between 15 and 17 is not nearly as great as 12 and 15.

*EDIT* clicking on the link for the 17 on the front page of Apple takes you to specs for the 15, my bad. It is in fact 6.8 as WildCowboy points out. Still light though.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I completely agree with your analysis, but I do want to point out that the 17" weighs 6.8 lbs. It's the 15" that weighs 5.6 lbs.

15" is the sweet spot for me sizewise, but if I were buying today, I would definitely go for the 17".

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
WildCowboy said:
I completely agree with your analysis, but I do want to point out that the 17" weighs 6.8 lbs. It's the 15" that weighs 5.6 lbs.

15" is the sweet spot for me sizewise, but if I were buying today, I would definitely go for the 17".

So?

The 17" costs a lot more to make....

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I imagine we'll see more of a processor "shift" as appose to a real price drop, IE 1.83 will be eliminated and replaced with a 2.0, and the 2.16 will replace. the 2.0 price point.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
dornoforpyros said:
I imagine we'll see more of a processor "shift" as appose to a real price drop, IE 1.83 will be eliminated and replaced with a 2.0, and the 2.16 will replace. the 2.0 price point.
I agree with that but I also think we'll see a little of a price drop. Something else this made me think of today was the possible price point of a Macbook. All the speculation was at the Macbook possibly coming in at a lower price than the current iBooks but I can't see Apple having a $1,000 gap between their laptop models. Unless of course the rumors are wrong about either the price or there only being one model of the Macbooks, which is of course probable and starting to look very likely to me.

EDIT: What does everyone think of Apple elminating the high end 15" Macbook Pro? If I remember correctly, Apple switched to one model for each of the Powerbooks on the last revision before the Intel switch. Maybe they'll just drop the 15" 2 Ghz model completely and allow the low end 15" Macbook Pro to be BTO with any of the processors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.