Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex Bischoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys,

I plan on purchasing a 15" PowerBook (my first Mac!) shortly after October 24th (wink wink, nudge nudge). I already have the mouse picked out -- the Logitech Mouseman Traveler -- but I'm still having a hard time deciding on a case.

The two primary tasks for the case would be for air travel and attending conferences (such as SXSW). So, for starters, I'm looking for one with zippers over velcro, in order not to disturb sleeping airline travelers or other conference attendees.

I'm also considering the scenario is where I might be on a plane with the PowerBook under the seat in front of me (in its case). There, I'd like to be able to get the PowerBook out of the case quickly -- so, I'm not considering any "clam shell" cases (you know, the classic Targus kind) where I'd have to unfold the case in the aisle just to get to the PowerBook (and those typically have velcro inside anyway). Something where I could unzip the top (or side) of the case and slide the PoweBook out would be ideal.

And because I'm probably going to have a regular carry-on for airline trips anyway, I'm more-or-less looking for a case that's as compact as possible (so that I just have less bulk to carry). All I really need room for in the case is the 15" PowerBook itself, the mouse and the AC adapter.

In summary, what I'm looking for:
  • Zippers (or other fasteners) over velcro, for quieter opening/closing
  • Something other than a clamshell-configuration
  • Top- or side-opening for slide-in / slide-out would be ideal
  • Only needs enough room for a mouse & AC adapter

So far, the Racer-X from Waterfield Designs is one that I'm considering, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Elenita

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Take a Look at Incase...

I just bought a 15" myself, and settled on the soft-tech sleeve by Incase:

http://goincase.com/DetailLaptopSleeveSoftTech.php

It uses two zippers, and is most definitely NOT a clamshell configuration; the computer comes out of the side. Also, there are two pockets for accessories--the one pictured on the outside, and another on the outside. They're not huge, but easily accomodate my power adapter and two-button mouse. I haven't tried taking any other accessories with me, so couldn't tell you how much other stuff could fit in there--but by the sound of it, you're looking to travel light anyway.

I think it's a pretty versatile bag. You can carry it as a standalone, using the handles or shoulder strap, but it functions just as well as a traditional sleeve--the handles are detractable and the shoulder strap detaches easily enough.

Hope this helps, and congrats on deciding on a Powerbook. They really are great machines; I've fallen love with computing again after getting mine.

Edit: I made a mistake describing this bag. Read my reply below for details.

Alex Bischoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Dallas, TX
Re: Take a Look at Incase...

Originally posted by Elenita
It uses two zippers, and is most definitely NOT a clamshell configuration; the computer comes out of the side. Also, there are two pockets for accessories--the one pictured on the outside, and another on the outside. They're not huge, but easily accomodate my power adapter and two-button mouse. I haven't tried taking any other accessories with me, so couldn't tell you how much other stuff could fit in there--but by the sound of it, you're looking to travel light anyway.

That's a good-looking option, there :). Out of curiosity, what mouse do you use? I just want to be sure that it's not terribly smaller than the one I'll be buying (so I can be sure that it'll still fit). Out of curiosity, does the case tend to bulge with your AC adapter and mouse in it?

And, what kind of pocket is the one that's not pictured? Is it just a mirror-image pocket on the other side, or is it different entirely?

Looking over the picture on their site, the handles look a bit thin -- are they tough on your hands when carrying your PowerBook for long distances, such as between terminals at an airport?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I use the Tom Bihn Monolith to keep my 15" safe in my backback. It's bery nice, but no room for anything else. I carry the power supply, mouse, etc. in my backpack anyway. Good quality bags all around from him though, my wife uses a Tom Bihn ID bag for work.

chomsky

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2003
Re: 15" PowerBook - Looking for a snug case/sleeve

I bought Marware's sportfolio:
http://www.marware.com/Overview_N_Laptop.html
It's thin, light, and very well made. The stretchy neoprene shoulder pad is a great touch. Google for reviews of the sportfolio...

-chomsky

Originally posted by Alex Bischoff
Hey guys,

I plan on purchasing a 15" PowerBook (my first Mac!) shortly after October 24th (wink wink, nudge nudge). I already have the mouse picked out -- the Logitech Mouseman Traveler -- but I'm still having a hard time deciding on a case.

The two primary tasks for the case would be for air travel and attending conferences (such as SXSW). So, for starters, I'm looking for one with zippers over velcro, in order not to disturb sleeping airline travelers or other conference attendees.

I'm also considering the scenario is where I might be on a plane with the PowerBook under the seat in front of me (in its case). There, I'd like to be able to get the PowerBook out of the case quickly -- so, I'm not considering any "clam shell" cases (you know, the classic Targus kind) where I'd have to unfold the case in the aisle just to get to the PowerBook (and those typically have velcro inside anyway). Something where I could unzip the top (or side) of the case and slide the PoweBook out would be ideal.

And because I'm probably going to have a regular carry-on for airline trips anyway, I'm more-or-less looking for a case that's as compact as possible (so that I just have less bulk to carry). All I really need room for in the case is the 15" PowerBook itself, the mouse and the AC adapter.

In summary, what I'm looking for:
  • Zippers (or other fasteners) over velcro, for quieter opening/closing
  • Something other than a clamshell-configuration
  • Top- or side-opening for slide-in / slide-out would be ideal
  • Only needs enough room for a mouse & AC adapter

So far, the Racer-X from Waterfield Designs is one that I'm considering, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Elenita

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Re: Take a Look at Incase...

Originally posted by Alex Bischoff
Out of curiosity, what mouse do you use? I just want to be sure that it's not terribly smaller than the one I'll be buying (so I can be sure that it'll still fit). Out of curiosity, does the case tend to bulge with your AC adapter and mouse in it?

I'm using the Kensington PocketMouse Pro with retractable cord. I couldn't find the size of your mouse on Logitech's site, but mine is 4.375"L xÂ_1.5"H x 2.25"W. Purely on a subjective level, I think it's a smaller mouse than most; I have small hands (ring size: 5.5) and I can actually use this mouse for long periods of time without my hands cramping up--something I certainly can't say for some mice on the market.

That said, I doubt you'll have problems sticking your mouse into this bag if you were to choose it. Mice sizes, even on the most extreme ends of the spectrum, only vary by an inch or two (if that). A big deal for our hands, maybe, but not in terms of bag space.

The bag does bulge slightly anything is put into an exterior pocket (see below), particularly the power adapter. When the mouse is inserted, you can't tell just by looking at it, but if you touch it, you know something's in there. The power adapter has a much more noticable budge when in an outside pocket, but fits into the interior pocket without a bulge quite nicely, should you want to keep it out of sight.

And, what kind of pocket is the one that's not pictured? Is it just a mirror-image pocket on the other side, or is it different entirely?

Ummm...I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but I actually made a mistake when describing this bag (this is what happens when you recommend a product without having right in front of you):

There are actually three pockets in this bag, and a little plastic pouch that you can use to store a few pieces of paper (directions, sketches, gift certificates, etc), leys, or ID for easy retrival. The pocket I neglected to mention last night is also an exterior pocket and is similar, but not identical, to the one pictured on the site. The interior pocket is different; it's bigger and takes up the entire width of the bag, and is made out of cloth rather than soft neoprene.

Also, I should note that the pockets stay closed by means of a tiny piece of velcro (a single dot, if you know what I mean). Opening a pocket does make a noise, but unless you're religiously opposed to using the stuff, I don't think it'll bother you (or those sitting next to you). It's far from the nasty ripping noise of a strap of velcro...

Looking over the picture on their site, the handles look a bit thin -- are they tough on your hands when carrying your PowerBook for long distances, such as between terminals at an airport?

If that's the only thing you're carrying (because you've checked all your other baggage for instance) probably not--but I'd still recommend using the shoulder strap instead of the handles, regardless. The handles are best suited for very short distances (such as moving your laptop from the car into your home, for example).

Mea culpa about giving you misinformation before. I promise to have the bag in front of me if you have any more questions for me to answer.

Good luck deciding!

Mofus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2003
San Diego
Snug Case

I bought the PowerSleeve15 from Booq bags. My PB fits very snugly into it and the padding provides good protection. It has a small pocket on the flap that my power cord fits into, and a large flat pocket on the back for papers/magazines/CD's. It's also slim enough to fit in a regular school type backpack so it's not too conspicuous. I bought the vertically oriented model and have the unexpexted bonus of being able to charge the PB without removing it from the case.

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=19

I also liked this bag (http://www.sfbags.com), alas it has no pockets.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I personally use one of these with my iBook and will probably be buying a larger one when I get my PowerBook. Whilst it is really designed to be used inside another bag it is a really good product and nicely padded to keep your laptop in top condition.

Skilz34

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
timbuk2.............

I was in your same situation a couple days ago. I read some posts on here because I wanted a bag that was durable and fit snuggly with my 15". I got the timbuk2 commuter bag last night as a matter of fact and that thing is awesome. It has super padding in every direction and fits my 15" to a T with no room for it to slide around like some bags. It's snug. Also, it has plenty of pockets, room, and compartments for books, power cord, etc. Plus, (even though this was something I didn't care too much about) it looks really good. It's water resistant too. This bag is the way to go. It's $100 but worth the money spent considering the return you get, hope this helps man.

-D

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
I don't have a laptop sleeve, but I will second the quality of Timbuk2 bags. I use a Dee Dog messenger bag and routinely carry sharp objects like rulers etc inside and have never had a problem with it. Even if I did, they have a lifetime warranty, so no worries. I'm sure their laptop sleeve is of the same caliber as their messenger bags.

Timbuk2 is an awesome company. Check out their website, they've got a great sense of humor.

Alex Bischoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Dallas, TX
Re: Snug Case

Originally posted by Mofus
I bought the PowerSleeve15 from Booq bags. My PB fits very snugly into it and the padding provides good protection. It has a small pocket on the flap that my power cord fits into, and a large flat pocket on the back for papers/magazines/CD's. It's also slim enough to fit in a regular school type backpack so it's not too conspicuous.

That sounds like quite a case :). You mentioned that it has room enough for the AC adapter (if I'm understanding you correctly), but is there enough room to stow the mouse as well?

I also liked this bag (http://www.sfbags.com), alas it has no pockets.

Unfortunately, Waterfield Designs uses frames on its site -- which destroys bookmarks (so, if you copy-n-paste the URL bar, it'll always say "sfbags.com"). Which of their bags were you referring to?

Alex Bischoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Dallas, TX
Re: gorgeous bag...

Originally posted by GrizzlyHippo
Acme sleeve for the PB15 - http://www.acmemade.com - got mine with my 1.25 PB and it fits like a glove and also fits inside my main briefcase if I want. The finish and detail are very good and I'll happily recommend it.

Are these the sleeves you mean? Yeah, those look really nice. Is there also room inside for the power supply and a mouse?

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
case

i'm also looking for a case for my new 15" PowerBook. I was really interested in the Brenthaven cases, however, somewhere on these boards someone said that the new dimensions of the new 15" will not fit in the sleeve part of the Brenthaven cases. Does anyone have an insight to see if this is actually true? I really like the Brenthaven case.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
I really love my Tom Bihn Brain Cell... it is definitely a secure fit leaving nothing to chance. I think of it as a soft sided case with the soul of a hard case.

The outside is a cloth material.. but in between that and the inside is a corrugated plastic lining the provides rigidity. It does close with Velcro.. which may or may not be desired. Fits into the Tom Bihn ID Messenger Bag among others if you plan on expanding your carrying options.

Here a few pictures:
case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

case4.jpg

Alex Bischoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by KBFinFan
I really love my Tom Bihn Brain Cell... it is definitely a secure fit leaving nothing to chance. I think of it as a soft sided case with the soul of a hard case.

Thanks for all the great pictures! Does the Brain Cell's pocket have enough room for the AC adapter and a mouse?

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Ya, I put my iPod, AC Adapter, Mouse, and usually a CD or two in it w/o a problem. The pocket does bulge a little, but will snap closed.

The pocket is a mesh material, so you can see what is in there.. for what its worth.

Wow.. my PB looks dirty in those pictures... I'm ashamed :eek:

Mofus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2003
San Diego
Booq Bag

Alex,

I put the AC adapter in the flap pocket, which does bulge a bit, but not bad. I do not have a mouse, yet, but if I find a small/slim one I'm sure it will fit. The SFBags one I was talking about is SleeveCase S35-42, size 11, $39 plus $18 for d-rings and shoulder strap plus $15 for the flap. The BooqBag comes with all this for only $45. Happy Hunting.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Racer-X

Well, I've not seen anyone say this, but I have a Waterfield Racer-X bag and it is excellent. Plenty of storage, not too bulky and it keeps my 15" TiBook nice and snug. I keep my AC adaptor, Kensington RF mouse, iPod, Cell Phone, cables and batteries in the front pouch.

Has held up well thus far!

...Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.