Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madddogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Ok, so I'm a little conflicted here...

I have $1500 from work to spend on a new laptop. This will be my first Mac. I do, however, know my way around a mac, as I work with them, just not on one all day. I'm primarily a linux user and also work with pcs. I need something small, reliable, portable. 90% of the time I am in a shell, so power isn't a huge factor... although screen quality is. I should note that I currently use an old Dell Inspiron 14" with an ATI Rage Mobility card. So any of the current offerings below are better than my current display, although slightly smaller....

I think I should get AppleCare, as I think such warranties are a good idea on portables.

Here's what I think my options are:

12" iBook with 80GB HD and BT (1174 + 5% MA tax = 1232.70 from apple.com) , extra 512 RAM ($93 from datamem.com), AppleCare ($196 shipped from smalldog) = 1521.70

12" PB Rev C. with 60GB HD (1299 - $100 rebate = 1199 from amazon.com) , extra 512 RAM ($93), AppleCare ($276 shipped from smalldog) = 1568

If I could find a site that would let me config my BTO iBook where I wouldn't have to pay tax, I think that is the way I'd go... then again, that PB is awefully tempting...

Can you help convice me what to do?

-Jason

Rubin421

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2004
New York
Go for the new 12" pb!
I bought a Rev. C two weeks ago (had to), but if I was to buy one now, I wouldn't hesistate a single second!

madddogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
OK, I think I'm gonna get the PB... only problem is that the iBook would come with iLife 05, and I'm not sure if this PB would qualify for the $20 uptodate plan... would it?

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
madddogg said:
OK, I think I'm gonna get the PB... only problem is that the iBook would come with iLife 05, and I'm not sure if this PB would qualify for the $20 uptodate plan... would it?

The PBs come with iLife '05

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
madddogg said:
Even a Rev C. from Amazon?

If Rev. C is the model that just got released this week (don't know what rev. we're on), then it should. If not I don't see why you wouldn't qualify for the $20 up-to-date program

madddogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
vtprinz said:
If Rev. C is the model that just got released this week (don't know what rev. we're on), then it should. If not I don't see why you wouldn't qualify for the $20 up-to-date program

Sorry, I'm pretty sure that the newest models are Rev D, and the previous ones are Rev C. This is a 1.33 GHz model, if that avoids confusion. That's why it's so deeply discounted by amazon. So, it should qualify for the up-to-date program then?

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
new pb

madddogg said:
new pb comes with ilife 05

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
madddogg said:
Sorry, I'm pretty sure that the newest models are Rev D, and the previous ones are Rev C. This is a 1.33 GHz model, if that avoids confusion. That's why it's so deeply discounted by amazon. So, it should qualify for the up-to-date program then?

It's listed as a qualfying computer:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/list.html

As long as Amazon is an authorized reseller (which I'm pretty sure they are) then you qualify.

madddogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
chanoc said:
Anybody can use the education discount at The Apple Store Online. :D

PowerBooks start at 1,399.00.

Sorry, but I'm not a student or teacher, and don't qualify. Not to mention I'll be paying with my company credit card. Besides, even if I got one for $1399, that's still $200 more than the system above.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I say hold off on the AppleCare, you can buy that anytime within a year of your purchase of the computer. That way you can put more money into a newer computer and buy one of the newest 12" PB's the just came out with. And it will come with iLife 05' :).

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
I would not buy apple care with the new computer. After all why spend hardware dollars on future repair costs. Spend the applecare cost on a larger hard drive or ram. You can always purchase applecare at a latter date.

Oh, ya, get the powerbook not the iBook.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Go for the PowerBook

Has better ram, display, and look's better with the aluminum case ;)

madddogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
Looks like I may have waited too long... the deal on the powerbooks seems to be gone! Amazon must have sold out.

Anyone know where you can BTO an iBook other than apple.com? I want to avoid the sales tax.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Do you like roads, garbage pick-up, free public schools, and law enforcement?

If so, go ahead and pay your taxes.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
madddogg said:
Looks like I may have waited too long... the deal on the powerbooks seems to be gone! Amazon must have sold out.

Anyone know where you can BTO an iBook other than apple.com? I want to avoid the sales tax.

Go look in physical stores in your area. Various electronic stores like CompUSA or others that sell apple products. They often have old stock PBs right when the new ones come out. You can often find a good deal as they try to get rid of their old stock. Thats how I got my rev A PB when the rev B was released. I got mine from an actual apple store. I think the PB is better than the iBook (from my experience and preferance from owning both).

as a side note, i just checked amazon and still found the PB deal. though you have to hunt around and add it to your shopping cart to see the actual price.

madddogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
JeffTL said:
Do you like roads, garbage pick-up, free public schools, and law enforcement?

If so, go ahead and pay your taxes.

Dude, I pay enough taxes. There is nothing wrong or illegal about shopping around for a price online to avoid a state sales tax. They don't call this state "Taxachusetts" for no reason.

madddogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
wPod said:
Go look in physical stores in your area. Various electronic stores like CompUSA or others that sell apple products. They often have old stock PBs right when the new ones come out. You can often find a good deal as they try to get rid of their old stock. Thats how I got my rev A PB when the rev B was released. I got mine from an actual apple store. I think the PB is better than the iBook (from my experience and preferance from owning both).

as a side note, i just checked amazon and still found the PB deal. though you have to hunt around and add it to your shopping cart to see the actual price.

Rat Bastards! That wasn't there this morning... whatever... I've made my decision. I'd prefer to have a little larger screen than a 12" anyway. I'm going with a 14" ibook.

Thanks all for your help. Learned much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.