Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today updated its YouTube app for iOS with a number of new features, including quick access to new uploads and support for viewing live streaming events.
What's New in Version 1.3

* Quick access to new uploads from subscriptions via "My Subscriptions" feed on the Guide
* Access to Live streams
* Queue up videos to play on TV
* One Channel branding for video creator channels
* Stability and performance improvements
youtube_1_3_ipad.jpg
A stock YouTube application had been included on iOS devices since the launch of the original iPhone in 2007, but with the debut of iOS 6 last year that application was discontinued. Google rolled out its own native YouTube app for iOS last September just ahead of the iOS 6 launch and has updated it several times since that debut.

YouTube is a universal app and can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Updated With Live Streaming and More

jacobss

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Netherlands
I'd like to see top comments and be able to reply to comments, how difficult is that!
I already didn't like that "what to watch" is the first thing I see when I go to YouTube, now they added it to the YouTube app too :( I think "My subscription" is more important here.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Still wont touch it till it stops automatically giving me eye cancer because I'm on a 3G network. Instead of giving the choice to stream in HQ.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I think it's a great app, and much much better than the previous stock app. As another poster said, I'd like to be able to reply to comments, but other than that I'm not left wanting for extra features.

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
This is nice, I have wanted to watch some live events on youtube, and were unable to. Now, if I can just hope the Sprint 3G network to help me out a little bit too... ;-)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Strange - I successfully watched a live-stream on YouTube on my iPhone on Saturday... It wouldn't AirPlay, though. (And YouTube on the AppleTV won't do live-streams, either.)

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
So still no backgrounding or ability to turn HQ off?

Not all of us are on super speeds and can just hit play and the HQ video just goes. need to pause and let a buffer build and backgrounding would be nice

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I love it when an app that I use a lot recieves an update.

I wish the launch page of the YouTube app was my subscriptions instead of "what to watch". I'm more interested in watching new videos by my subscribers before browsing the rest of YouTube.

They have it that way on the desktop site and it annoys me a lot.

No big deal though, can live with it :)

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
Anyone else having this problem.

When watching new videos on subscribed channels, after pulling down to refresh its showing new videos although they have already been viewed ?

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Too bad they still can't get streaming working over WiFi without constant buffering when the same video plays perfectly over 3G (and of course over LTE). WTF.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Too bad they still can't get streaming working over WiFi without constant buffering when the same video plays perfectly over 3G (and of course over LTE). WTF.

Think that's an iOS glitch personally

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
What specific about iOS though? The other youtube clients (like Jasmine) work fine on WiFi and LTE. Bizarre.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I HATE the youtube "app", it NEVER plays high quality for me on LTE.

I just browse youtube on safari and watch through that, always HQ, even on LTE.

Richal

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Really want to try the feature of TV video queuing. But I haven't tested if it works well.

rickbrown

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
It has Better Design, Hidden Slider Menu, Fast and Smooth, Improved Video Pages, Better Sharing Options and Better Search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.