Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mr_blood_drive_2013.jpg

The Fourth Annual MacRumors Blood Drive runs for the month of May 2013. We ask you, our site visitors and forum members, to donate blood and platelets this month. We also ask you to register for the bone marrow registry and as an organ donor. We welcome first-time donors and we'll be glad to explain the details, give you tips if you're nervous, and congratulate you afterwards. Remember that every donor was once a first-time donor.

We hope to top our Blood Drive results from our three previous Blood Drives. Your donations will help other people survive or recover from injury, surgery, or illness, cure someone of a life-threatening disease by a stem cell or bone marrow transplant, or preserve the life of someone who suffers organ failure.

How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive:

1. Donate blood or platelets in May. Register as a bone marrow donor. Register as an organ donor.

Since we're in cyberspace we don't collect blood ourselves. Donate blood or platelets at a hospital or other donation center that's convenient to you. Pick a day when you can spare an hour (for blood) or a couple of hours (for platelets) and make an appointment. Donate blood, platelets, or plasma. Afterwards, take a photo of your arm, with its bandage, plaster, or the small mark on your arm, or you having your post-donation snack and juice. See our Blood and Platelet Donation Guide guide for details.

To register to be a stem cell or bone marrow donor you typically fill out a form and have your cheek swabbed. Nothing to it!

Registering as an organ donor is just as easy. Depending on your country, most of it can be done online by filling out a form, and you may be asked to sign a donor card or put a sticker on your driver's license.

See our Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation guide.
2. Let us know about it
bandage-photo.jpg

The reward for donating or registering is personal satisfaction that's hard to describe. But we want to add to your reward by giving you a well-deserved pat on the back.

After you donate or register, post any photo you took or tell us about your registration experience in this thread. Tell us if you donated blood or platelets, how many units, and if you're a first-time donor. Tell us if you've just registered as a bone marrow donor or an organ donor, and how you feel about it.

We're keeping an Honor Roll (see below) to give you public thanks for your generosity, and to encourage others.
3. Spread the word
  • Not everyone can donate. Some people are unable or ineligible based on the eligibility rules in their country.

Even if you can't donate, you can help. Check if you can register as a marrow or organ donor. Let others know about the need for these donations. Convincing someone else to donate blood adds to the supply just as much as donating yourself. If you convince a friend or family member to donate, tell us about it. We want to recognize your efforts.

• Copy/paste this line into your forum signature:
    :) [b][color=red]I support the [thread=1577444]MacRumors Blood Drive[/thread]![/color][/b] :)​
    It'll come out like this:
    :) I support the MacRumors Blood Drive! :)

• If you're eligible for an avatar, use our Blood Drive avatar this month:
    Blood-Drop-Avatar.gif
Notes:
  • This thread is for celebrating the participants in the MacRumors Blood Drive. If you want to discuss restrictions on gay donors or other related social issues, please post in the Blood donor eligibility thread.
  • News story about this Blood Drive: MacRumors 2013 Blood Drive
  • The MacRumors Blood Drive was planned by the MacRumors staff and volunteers with help from forum member Shaun.P.

Last edited:

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
The Honor Roll

attachment.php

The following MacRumors users have reported their blood, platelet, or plasma donation in this thread. Members who have just registered as bone marrow or organ donors are also listed below.

Congratulations and thank you for doing your part to help people in need!

May 1 or Before:
Comeagain?: blood
G4-power: blood
spillproof: blood
TEG: blood
ironpw: platelets, 3 units
Nokaoi1959: blood
lobster512: blood
Waughy: blood
MartyCan: blood
TailsToo: plasma
7thson: platelets, 2 units

May 2:
initialsBB: blood
penguintheft: blood
pattsid: blood

May 3:
iwbyte: platelets, 2 units

May 4:
spazzcat: blood

May 6:
rcappo: blood

May 7:
utgreenhead: blood

May 8:
ChristianHoj: blood
stridemat: blood, new bone marrow donor

May 9:
bbotte: blood
b-rad g: blood

May 10:
jbachandouris: blood

May 13:
ironpw: platelets, 3 units

May 14:
udontno: new bone marrow donor

May 15:
Doctor Q: blood

May 16:
7thson: platelets, 3 units
Timelordprime: platelets, 2 units

May 17:
FutureBlake: blood

May 18:
AlbertEinstein: blood, new organ donor

May 30:
7thson: platelets, 3 units

22 units of blood, 18 units of platelets and 1 unit of plasma have been donated so far!
2 forum members have registered as a bone marrow donor.
1 forum member has registered as an organ donor.

Last edited:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I donated 3 mos. ago and can't donate for another month.

Last time I donated whole blood and jokingly told another person that "we should race."

Coincidentally, I passed out. But I did manage to finish my blood draw before them. :D

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I signed up for being a marrow donor a few years ago! Everyone should do it. The other two are no brainers!

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I donate blood fairly often as my mom is a retiree from the Red Cross and blood drives is what she did.

However, I just renewed my license in February and opted IN for the organ donor list.

My brother n law just had a kidney transplant and the kidney came from one of our friends who was a match. Eye opening experience...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I'm over 16 gallons (129 donations) in 40 years of donating. I now limit myself to the twice a year drives at work.

Photo shows some of the pins I got, mostly through the "Holiday Heroes" program they used to run. (Picture taken 8 years ago)

Attachments

• 262246.jpg
    262246.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Donated 2 months ago so not eligible to do it again right now, definitely would if I could. Unfortunately I didn't think this was coming up so soon so I didn't get any pictures for the topic.

This was my 5th Donation in total. Wanted to donate two other times when Canadian Blood Services was on my University campus but got the flu just prior both times :(

Nokaoi1959

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
Hawaii
Did all three

I just gave my 83rd pint on Monday, the 29th. Don't have a bandage to show, but I'll show the new donation pins I got from the Blood Bank of Hawaii, gallons 1 - 6.

So long ago I can't remember when, I signed up for both the Bone Marrow Registry and as an organ donor. Count me in on your blood drive!

And, thanks for spreading the good word about donations. A minority of people donate most of the blood. If more new donors got started and became lifelong donors, many lives could be saved. Every time I give, it feels great because that pint could save someone's life. One day, it may be your own or a loved one's life at stake. It may hurt a little, but it'll feel so good afterwards.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 299

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I just gave my 83rd pint on Monday, the 29th. Don't have a bandage to show, but I'll show the new donation pins I got from the Blood Bank of Hawaii, gallons 1 - 6.

So long ago I can't remember when, I signed up for both the Bone Marrow Registry and as an organ donor. Count me in on your blood drive!

And, thanks for spreading the good word about donations. A minority of people donate most of the blood. If more new donors got started and became lifelong donors, many lives could be saved. Every time I give, it feels great because that pint could save someone's life. One day, it may be your own or a loved one's life at stake. It may hurt a little, but it'll feel so good afterwards.

Thank you for telling us about your recent donations. I have added your donations to the honor roll.

lobster512

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Just donated today. I try to donate every couple of months when I become re-eligible. It only takes an hour and can save someone's life. So far, I believe I've donated about 10 times and I plan on doing it until I'm old and they can no longer find my veins.

Attachments

• blood.jpg
    blood.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 313
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 303
Last edited:

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I donated blood yesterday (May 1st) to the Australian Red Cross. This was my third donation and I booked in to go again in July when I'm next eligible.
Just found this thread so no pics of the bandage, but here's the needle mark a day later.

Attachments

• Blood.JPG
    Blood.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 434
Last edited:

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I donate platelets every two weeks at my local blood bank. I find it easier to just schedule it every other Wednesday at 4pm, it's some guaranteed down time that I can feel good about. I found it harder to donate whole blood because I have to wait two months before I can do it again. By that time I have made up a ton of excuses why I can't do it and it doesn't happen. Do it people, you don't have to watch them put the needle in!

Last edited:

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Thanks and congratulations to all those who donate!

If I'd known sooner I would have rescheduled. As it is, I did donate on Tuesday, April 30th and it was my 31st donation!

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Gave plasma at Sloan-Kettering in NYC last month.

Just donated today. I try to donate every couple of months when I become re-eligible. It only takes an hour and can save someone's life. So far, I believe I've donated about 10 times and I plan on doing it until I'm old and they can no longer find my veins.

I donated blood yesterday (May 1st) to the Australian Red Cross. This was my third donation and I booked in to go again in July when I'm next eligible.
Just found this thread so no pics of the bandage, but here's the needle mark a day later.

Thanks and congratulations to all those who donate!

If I'd known sooner I would have rescheduled. As it is, I did donate on Tuesday, April 30th and it was my 31st donation!

Gave my pint today !

Thank you so much for participating in the blood drive - and for the pictures too!

I have updated the Honor Roll to reflect your donations. Now it's time to persuade someone else to donate! :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I donate platelets every two weeks at my local blood bank. I find it easier to just schedule it every other Wednesday at 4pm, it's some guaranteed down time that I can feel good about. I found it harder to donate whole blood because I have to wait two months before I can do it again. By that time I have made up a ton of excuses why I can't do it and it doesn't happen. Do it people, you don't have to watch them put the needle in!
Good for you, 7thson. How long does each donation take you?

You must have donated platelets on April 10 and 24, not on April 3 and 17, since you didn't mention donating on May 1. Is that right?

penguintheft

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
California
Saw this post yesterday and made an appointment to donate today! Just got back, and feel great. Thanks for the inspiration! This was my second time donating (did it once in college), so this was a great reminder that it's both important and very easy to do.

27kZUcw.jpg

rEIKKAu.png

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Good for you, 7thson. How long does each donation take you?

You must have donated platelets on April 10 and 24, not on April 3 and 17, since you didn't mention donating on May 1. Is that right?

No, I donated on May 1st, yesterday. I was eligible to do a triple but it was going to take 90 minutes, so i had to opt for the double which took an hour. i had a workshop to attend after. I was stoked my count was that high, though. Prety new to this, just started this past January, but have been consistent every two weeks since. Sorry no pic. I had just removed the bandage right before I saw this thread.

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
Came in for my usual platelets donation today. Supposed to be a triple but I twisted my wrist and moved the needle before I finished so I only did a double.
I bring in my iPad and watch movies off-loaded from my Tivo and do some recreational surfing while I sit and bleed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 256

pattsid

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
I donated May 2, 2013 to the Canadian Blood Services.

I even created a MacRumors account rather than just being a lurker :)

No pics of the bandage ... but this was my 59th donation.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I can't donate blood but I can share this since I am a cancer survivor from blood donations and more-

My initial diagnosis of leukemia came at the very untimely part of the year between Christmas and New Years ('09-'10). This is when blood donations are scarce. I was very fortunate to have the support of friends, and family to step up and donate a record amount of blood, which helped me and others in their time of need. Thanks to Chapman University for promoting a school wide blood drive in my honor and benefiting the Red Cross. I am especially grateful for the kindness of my youngest sister who donated her stem cells for my transplant and my friend whose platelet donations that turbocharged my recovery.

Give Blood - Give Life

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Saw this post yesterday and made an appointment to donate today! Just got back, and feel great. Thanks for the inspiration! This was my second time donating (did it once in college), so this was a great reminder that it's both important and very easy to do.

That's amazing that MacRumors provided inspiration for this. Thank you for donating and sharing your story.

No, I donated on May 1st, yesterday. I was eligible to do a triple but it was going to take 90 minutes, so i had to opt for the double which took an hour. i had a workshop to attend after. I was stoked my count was that high, though. Prety new to this, just started this past January, but have been consistent every two weeks since. Sorry no pic. I had just removed the bandage right before I saw this thread.

The fact you donate consistlenty every two weeks is extraordinary. You must know the staff pretty well by now?

I donated May 2, 2013 to the Canadian Blood Services.

I even created a MacRumors account rather than just being a lurker :)

No pics of the bandage ... but this was my 59th donation.

Welcome to MacRumors then! 59 donations - absolutely amazing. Does that mean you have been donating regularly for the last 15 years?

Came in for my usual platelets donation today. Supposed to be a triple but I twisted my wrist and moved the needle before I finished so I only did a double.
I bring in my iPad and watch movies off-loaded from my Tivo and do some recreational surfing while I sit and bleed.

Movies? How long does it take to donate triple units of platelets?!

I gave last Friday in my town.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/SMU5N7q.jpg]Image[/URL]

TEG

Thank you for being one of our first donors. It helps get the ball rolling!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.