Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flying.squirrel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Kansas City
early MacPro 3,1 with RAID card and 2 15k rpm drives. Want to toss this RAID card so bad. Sorry I ever got it. That being said, if I yank out the RAID card can I still use the two 15k drives? One for OS and other for Logic, say? I'm assuming there are cables connecting each to RAID? How would I re-connect them to my motherboard? Thanx! - robert

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Yes you can still use the drives. I thought the Apple RAID card enabled RAID through the backplane to the standard drive bays, meaning there are no cables involved. So I believe all you have to do is remove the card, boot to an OS installation disk, wipe the drives, and install a fresh OS on one of them.

Reactions: Draeconis

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
Yes you can still use the drives. I thought the Apple RAID card enabled RAID through the backplane to the standard drive bays, meaning there are no cables involved. So I believe all you have to do is remove the card, boot to an OS installation disk, wipe the drives, and install a fresh OS on one of them.
That's true on 4,1 & 5,1.

The 1,1 - 3,1 drive bays are connected to the logic board via an sff-8087 cable. When using a raid card, this cable is moved to the raid card, and needs to be moved back to the logic board after removing the card.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
That's true on 4,1 & 5,1.

The 1,1 - 3,1 drive bays are connected to the logic board via an sff-8087 cable. When using a raid card, this cable is moved to the raid card, and needs to be moved back to the logic board after removing the card.
Nice tidbit of knowledge there, thanks.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
The native ports on the cMP are SATA-II while those 15K drives are almost certainly SAS so they will work directly connected to the Mac motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.