Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
These are not really an issue, but I can live with them:

1) When I'm on battery power and I hit F12 to display widgets, the effect of them coming on the screen from a distance is laggy. But when plugged in, the transition is very smooth.

2) When the display wakes up from sleep, the black sort of fades from one side to display the screen. (When the display goes to sleep, it is black. When I wake it up, the black color spreads across the display while waking up.

Anyone having these issues? Is there a way to solve them?

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
1) That is probably caused by the power saving features in the MBP. When running on battery, the CPU cuts the clock in half, a fourth etc. to save power. It shifts up and down as needed, but it takes some time (Think of it as shifting gears in a car). That can cause the delay that you witnessed. Unfortunately, Apple removed the manual CPU throttling controls after the 1.67 Rev. D PowerBooks.

2) How hot/cold is it over where you are?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
blaskillet4 said:
1) That is probably caused by the power saving features in the MBP. When running on battery, the CPU cuts the clock in half, a fourth etc. to save power. It shifts up and down as needed, but it takes some time (Think of it as shifting gears in a car). That can cause the delay that you witnessed. Unfortunately, Apple removed the manual CPU throttling controls after the 1.67 Rev. D PowerBooks.

2) How hot/cold is it over where you are?

Thanks for the info. It's about 78 degrees here so room temperature. I'm thinking it is the LCD inverter cable?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I just tested #1, and it doesn't do that for me--smooth either way.

#2 doesn't sound right, either, although you might just be overly sensitive to the backlight warming up; it isn't at full brightness immediately, as the lights take a moment to warm up. If it doesn't do that evenly (I think mine takes a little longer to kick in around the edges than in the center of the screen), then it might look a little like what you're describing. If it's pronounced, though, then there's probably a problem with the backlights or the power getting to them and it's in need of some warranty service.

Though to be honest if its running fine otherwise and it's only a second or two on the warm-up, I'd probably wait a while before hauling it in for service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.