Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny.MacLeod

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland, U.K
dferrara said:
Be careful, or you'll give whiplash to your classmates as well. :p

Yeh most of my friends dont like OS X so im kinda the only one I know who has one. Then again they all come crawling back to me when the need their Windows XP fixed....and everytime I tell them to buy a mac, I think I may have my father converted but we will have to wait and see

However, the only time OS 8/9/X ever crashed was when I dropped it down a flight of stairs, ive never been a power user so it has never crashed.....hope I can say the same for this MBP :p

P.S. Ive just got a offer from my old school, they are going to buy my powermac for £1250 as long as I set it up because their techie dosent know macs, they are going to be using for ilm and picture editing in the art department. And im keeping my ACD's for my next Powermac(Intel).

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
zorg said:
I guess its all personal preference. But the only people that would like 17" is people that use this as a desktop computer, and don't really move around with it.

Really? Mine goes across London 3 or 4 times a week in it Brenthaven pack, and then from lecture room to studio in the Uni and is holding up well for a 3 year old machine.

Sure I'm big and the pack is weighty, but I couldn't go back to a 15", it's not a trade off I'd care to make.

17" MBP on the way as soon as my boss signs the order.:D

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
the 17" isn't that much larger than the 15.4", but it is considerably bulkier.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
WinterMute said:
Really? Mine goes across London 3 or 4 times a week in it Brenthaven pack, and then from lecture room to studio in the Uni and is holding up well for a 3 year old machine.

Sure I'm big and the pack is weighty, but I couldn't go back to a 15", it's not a trade off I'd care to make.

17" MBP on the way as soon as my boss signs the order.:D

I'm with you on this one. I bring mine all over the place and don't find it too heavy, awkward, etc...

I don't understand why so many people complain about the size of the 17-incher! :eek: It's only 1.3" wider than the 15"...that's roughly half the length of an average pinky finger. ;) It's only 0.8" deeper and it's the same thickness. 1.2 pounds heavier doesn't seem to be an issue either. Now, if you're a 12" fan, then I can see how both are enormous and unmanageable, but we're not dealing with some PC 17-incher here! :D

Personally, the screen real estate is absolutely liberating and seems to improve my productivity greatly...I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back. :)

chepistolas

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
The 17" is a special laptop for special people, its not for everyone. But once you try it you can't go back. I have a 1.3 powerbook and I am waiting for a core 2 duo MacBook Pro. Hopefully the core duos don't come with nasty bugs. I just cant wait aarrgghhh.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
zorg said:
I guess its all personal preference. But the only people that would like 17" is people that use this as a desktop computer, and don't really move around with it.

What?

I travel the world with my 17". I know dozens of people who do so also.

Don't over-generalize. Just because you can't see a use for something, doesn't mean that aren't thousands of people who disagree with you.

Personally, I think the size and extra weight--all inconsequential in my book--are far out-weighed by the productivity and "wow factor" in intimate presentations due to the bigger screen.

Yes, a lot of global executives travel with the 17".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.