Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Ok, I realize that my title may not be the best in terms of descriptiveness, but here goes...:eek:

You all know how the PB screens dim after 10 minutes to save power? Well, when my PB dims, after a while you can tell that the sides of the screen (about 2" in on either side) are considerably more dim than the rest of the screen. Now, when I move the mouse or give input that brings the screen back up to full brightness, the dim sides can still be seen for about another 20-ish seconds and then the entire screen is back to normal. I'm not sure if it's been doing this since I bought it (day after Thanksgiving 2005), but I've noticed it in the last few weeks.

I'm not too worried about it, but I'm just curious if anyone has an idea what's up or if this is usual... Also, I've heard about PB Rev.E screens being troublesome, what with the lines and all (luckily I *don't* have that problem:p ), so that's what got me thinkin'...:)

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
yea, i've noticed that too. fortunately, it only happens when the screen is dimmed, and not at full brightness.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I think a lot of computers do that, just more evenly. The LCD takes a while to "heat back up", ya know, to "get going" again. On my iBook, the whole screen does that, and so did my old iBook, and so does my LCD (not as noticeable).

My iBook could be doing it more evenly because it maybe has 1 light as opposed to multiple ones on the 17"?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
My 15" does something similar. There's a large spot at the bottom left (not quite all the way to the left edge) that's a bit slow in brightening up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.