Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Details on Apple CEO Tim Cook's early life in Robertsdale, Alabama have been shared by Alabama news site AL.com, giving readers a look at Cook's high school years and detailing the place where one of the most well-known CEOs in the world grew up.

Don and Geraldine, Cook's parents, moved to the small town of Robertsdale, Alabama with Tim and his three brothers in 1971, when Cook was 11 years old. Cook attended the local schools and is said to have had a "studious nature." He joined the yearbook staff, taking care of the business end of things, and was a part of the band, where he played the trombone.

cook2.jpg
Tim Cook's senior yearbook photo, 1978​
"You didn't go around calling him a nerd," said Barbara Davis, who taught Cook math. "He was just the kind of person you liked to be around." She added, "He was a reliable kid. He was always meticulous with his work, so I knew it would be done right."
Cook, who was salutatorian of his graduating class, was voted "most studious" and he was also selected as a Baldwin EMC Youth Tour candidate to take a trip to Washington, D.C. in 1977.

cook1.jpg
Tim Cook and yearbook staff, 1978​
The Robertsdale school yearbook staff started its tasks very early, in the summer months. In his senior year, Cook was the staff's business manager, keeping the books and reeling in the ads. He was, said Davis, "the kind of person you need" for such a job.
Following his graduation from Robertsdale High School, Cook went on to attend Auburn University, a longtime goal of his. After working at IBM, Intelligent Electronics, and Compaq, he moved on to Apple in 1998. Following Steve Jobs' illness and subsequent death in 2011, Cook took over as CEO of the company, aiming to continue on with Jobs' legacy.

According to the Alabama newspaper, Cook still returns home to Robertsdale for holidays, and visited last December. That month, Auburn University also presented Cook with a lifetime achievement award at an event in New York City, and he gave a speech to attendees on equality. The full account of Tim Cook's childhood, which has additional details on both his high school years and his later impact, can be read at AL.com.

Article Link: Profile of Apple CEO Tim Cook Gives Insight Into His Alabama Roots

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I hope no one ever publishes my highschool pictures. My hair was probably even worse. :eek:

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Oh come on. Who among us doesn't cringe at our yearbook pictures?

Seems like a solid guy. Wouldn't have guessed trombone, though... trombonists tend to be goofy, right up there with bassists, and he seems anything but. Clarinet, I could see. Trumpet, maybe.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
He's just another boring uncreative CEO. Not sure why people seem to think highly of him.

Well, maybe you should ask Steve Jobs. There's a reason Jobs wanted him to be CEO after him. There's a reason Jobs kept him since 1998.

And as I'm imagining you're a person who says 'it's not the same without Steve', then respect Jobs' memory by respecting his decisions.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
He's just another boring uncreative CEO. Not sure why people seem to think highly of him.

He's not a Steve Jobs, but he does have a really great ability to execute plans both efficiently and effectively. From what i know of Jobs, he probably spent a lot of time with the current head staff to ensure they could do their jobs without him.

Whatever creativity now exists at apple comes from the design staff, Cook just gives the final say in the matter.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

He certainly seems a lot more creative than you for him to be hand-chosen by Steve Jobs to lead his company.

Maybe you should be a little bit more creative with your immature hate towards a man you don't even know.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ok we need a poll on who's high school hair was worse - Tim Cook or Jony Ive.

check-out-a-young-jony-ive-rocking-a-big-mullet.jpg

tMac7

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
I like Tim Cook and think he is a great manager and without him Apple wouldn't be what it is today.

But i miss spiritual travels to India, LSD experiments, cancelled colleges and Zen buddhism in the article :p

He's just an ordinary CEO, doing great work without adding something personal to the company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.