Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_6_plus_6_side_by-250x263.jpg
Apple's assembly partner Pegatron is boosting its production capacity in order to help Apple increase inventory of the popular iPhone 6, reports Nikkei. According to local press sources, Apple may also be turning to Pegatron to supplement production of the iPhone 6 Plus, which has seen tight supplies as Foxconn has struggled to meet demand.
Local press reports suggest Apple may also tap Pegatron to produce the iPhone 6 Plus since Foxconn has been struggling to cope with demand. Pegatron officials did not comment directly on the media speculation.
Pegatron's Chief Executive Jason Cheng confirmed in a recent earnings conference call that the company has invested more than $200 million this year in capital expenditures to boost production output, with an additional $300 million planned for 2015.

Pegatron repeatedly has benefitted from strong iPhone sales with an increasing amount of revenue coming from its communications products division, which is responsible for smartphone and tablet production. Though the company's overall Q3 2014 revenue fell due a dip in its computer assembly business, revenue from its communications division increased 10 percent year-over-year.

Pegatron is a long-time manufacturing partner for Apple, serving as a supplementary assembler for previous iPhone and iPad models. The company took a lead manufacturing role for the first time in the assembly of Apple's iPhone 5c, which was introduced alongside the iPhone 5s last year.

Article Link: Pegatron Reportedly Boosting iPhone 6 Production, Adding iPhone 6 Plus to Meet Strong Demand

DeadSeaMac

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
Available to ship: 3-4 weeks

:apple: still can't keep up with the strong demand as we enter the holiday blitz, and Apple is asking Pegatron to ramp up production NOW? What are they waiting for? Christmas? :eek:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hopefully my 6 plus will now arrive sometime in the near future

Mine is in transit via UPS with an ETA of between 11:30 and 3:30 PM (ET) on Wednesday.

So between 48 and 52 hours left before mine arrives.

I feel like we might see some record shattering numbers when Apple finally reveals how well the iPhone 6 has sold... maybe twice the prior record, given that they've released two hugely popular models?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
All I know is there are 5 Apple stores in the Twin Cities and the 6 and 6 Plus are always out of stock. Same with any AT&T store I go to. I don't remember that being the case with the 5 or 5s.

cesjr

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
I ordered my 64 GB Space Gray 6+ on Oct 29th. Still has an expected ship date of Nov. 21st. I'm hoping I'll be surprised to see it ship sooner.

Jamalien

Suspended
Oct 29, 2014
Mine is in transit via UPS with an ETA of between 11:30 and 3:30 PM (ET) on Wednesday.

So between 48 and 52 hours left before mine arrives.

I feel like we might see some record shattering numbers when Apple finally reveals how well the iPhone 6 has sold... maybe twice the prior record, given that they've released two hugely popular models?

Yup, mine still has around 2 weeks till dispatch. Why they didn't organise this boost in production with Pegatron earlier is weird :confused:

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
All I know is there are 5 Apple stores in the Twin Cities and the 6 and 6 Plus are always out of stock. Same with any AT&T store I go to. I don't remember that being the case with the 5 or 5s.

Being completely out of stock is never a good thing for a manufacture. Hopefully this ramp up will relieve some of the pressure on inventory.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Apple would never make a phone that big.

They will never do those thick plastic lines.

5.5 doesn't exist, there hasn't been any leaks!

WTF, protruding camera? That's not Apple.

Did I forget some?

Errrrr.... those bezels!

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Yup, mine still has around 2 weeks till dispatch. Why they didn't organise this boost in production with Pegatron earlier is weird :confused:

First off they most likely did organize this sometime ago. We wouldn't hear about it until the deals are done. It can be pretty complex to ramp up production as you have stuff Apple is responsible for, stuff that Pegatron is responsible for and everything related to the suppliers for these two. More interesting is the requirements for capital equipment, some of which would have longer lead times.

The other thing here is separating out sustainable demand from the market Rush that comes with each new iPhine release. Before millions are invested in production lines you want to know that those lines will actually be used three months after a product release.

no25

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
Cook should have been doing this along time ago instead of announcing he is gay

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I ordered my 64 GB Space Gray 6+ on Oct 29th. Still has an expected ship date of Nov. 21st. I'm hoping I'll be surprised to see it ship sooner.

Meanwhile, like a dumbass, I ordered the same model via AT&T on Oct 20th and I still have November 28 ship date, with the range ending with December 9th. Sigh.

vreedy76

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
SC, USA

My ship date was 11/12 for 3 weeks, it slipped to the 20th and then shipped on the 8th. Then I see this story, so you may see it ship out this week.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal

Did I forget some?

That they would never buy one

That they're going to Android.

Lol

vreedy76

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
SC, USA

Did I forget some?

I definitely said the ones about the camera and lines. It may be a good thing that Apple is doing some things I never thought they would.

Next up "If you see a stylus, they got it wrong"

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
seems to match up with all the delay's in shipping that we have been seeing with the iPhone Plus.

Guess the plus was more popular than expected.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012

There's alot that goes into capacity boosts, whether its component availability or Pegatron having QA issues (think I remember that with the +)...so we'll probably never know the whole story other than Apple has probably been trying to boost production as much as possible since the 6 rolled out. JMHO..

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Meanwhile, I ordered my 6+ on release Friday and got it the following Monday, here in Beijing.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.