Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I think it's mature in the sense that future growth from the segment is limited, at least compared to smartphones. Short of lowering the price, I don't see much that Apple can really do to accelerate growth. The iPad Air 2 is an amazing piece of technology, yet all it really offers is a slight performance boost over the original iPad Air. Plus we all know Apple will never compromise on the price of iPad in order to increase sales.

I agree with you about smartphones. That's why I think the 6S next year will again sell more than the previous iPhone. Smartphones have become essential tools whereas tablets have not. We use them all day everyday for the most part. The financing for phones isn't really a knock against the American consumer since from what I've seen the carriers allow it with 0% APR. That makes it pretty fair in my opinion. $25/mo at 0% APR is a steal. I personally told myself I'd keep my 5S and skip the 6 but when I saw the deals the carriers offered, I bought a used iPhone 4 on Craigslist for $50, traded it to my carrier for $200 and got my iPhone 6. It just made sense.

Apple's strategy of keeping the same form factor for 2 years is really ingenious and no other manufacturer is able to get away with it. I'm willing to bet they will be far more efficient in manufacturing the 6S next year and will be able to more easily meet demand, in turn allowing them to sell even more than they sold this year.

What limits tablet use right now is use cases, if they'd be seen as something other than mere media consumers, they'd get replaced more often. That's why Apple will tightly integrate them with the rest of the devices and ecosystem and overpower them. Eventually something fantastic will come to the tablets (or the rest of the ecosystem) and everybody will get one.

As for cost, considering that for most people (not power users) a tablet will soon replace a desktop, laptop, netbook, portable game console, even camera, the price is ridiculously low. People were paying more than twice as much for a C64 in 1983 with 1/100 the usefulness.

If something is useful enough, people will switch more often, or in the case of Apple, drive the sale of other Apple devices. Apple wins if every Apple device in the home is a disincentive to switch to another brand. That's their whole strategy.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Apple would never make a phone that big.

They will never do those thick plastic lines.

5.5 doesn't exist, there hasn't been any leaks!

WTF, protruding camera? That's not Apple.

Did I forget some?

Yep, you're forgetting to mention that everyone has 20/20 hindsight.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Going to be tuff for Apple to catch up with demand for 6 and 6+. Holidays coming, China sales at all time highs.
Wouldn't be surprised to see lead time stay the same as it is now.

Camoxide

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
England
Still a 4 week shipping time on the 6 Plus D:

Guessing the demand was a lot more than Apple was predicting.

Also judging from the lack of leaks prior to the event, it went into production quite late*

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I somehow don't think it's consumer demand. Well, technically yes it is but if there is only 1 iPhone and only 2 people want an iPhone that is demand. I think this is all done on purpose. Watch, all the sudden there will be stock everywhere for X-Mas.

Really? Apple's produced a record-breaking amount of iPhone 6/+'s to date and you're claiming market-controlling gamesmanship by Apple? Look around, there are millions of people globally jumping on this upgrade. If Apple could sell all of its projected 80 million iP6 units in one shot, I'm sure they'd do it in a heartbeat. Unlike other retailers, Apple doesn't just rely on holiday sales to pad their quarterly sales figures to appease shareholders.

----------

Still a 4 week shipping time on the 6 Plus D:

Guessing the demand was a lot more than Apple was predicting.

Also judging from the lack of leaks prior to the event, it went into production quite late*

More like the demand is more than what Apple's manufacturing partners can keep up with. :cool:

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
They can relax a little as I will NOT be buying one, ever. :)

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I bought a 6 plus not knowing if I'd really like the larger size. In fact, it's fabulous. The more people who get a chance to actually see them, try them out and compare to their 4 inch units, the more people will go for the bigger screen.

I know it's not for everyone and I do know folks who were not enthusiastic about the large size. I think it's great since I do more emailing and texting than phone calling. And, it fits in my shirt pocket! And it doesn't hurt to have that bigger type now that I turned 68 two weeks ago.

I actually watched a movie on it, and it was acceptably large. Not that I'd do it regularly. My grandsons all tried out their games on it and now they all want them too.

I think Woz was right when he said Apple should have made a bigger screen earlier, but with 20-20 hindsight we all might have done some different things!!

And the latest IOS looks great on it!

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
I bet since all the issues have cropped up with the 6\6+, Apple has a backlog of replacements that need to be fulfilled.

They might have to make twice as many phones than expected to meet replacement demands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.