Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chevron has kicked off an Apple Pay pilot program in the Bay Area that allows customers to use Apple Pay to pay for their gasoline directly at the pump, according to the company's Twitter account. Apple Pay can currently be used at a Chevron location in San Ramon, with a second location in Cupertino becoming available in the near future.

@kevinkeitai 18060 San Ramon Valley Blvd in San Ramon accepts NFC including Apple Pay at the dispenser now. Cupertino coming soon! - Chevron (@Chevron) July 14, 2015
Chevron first announced plans to expand its use of Apple Pay to gas pumps in late 2014, but company did not have a clear timeline for the rollout of Apple Pay at the pump. Following the pilot program testing, it's likely Chevron will expand Apple Pay to other locations across the United States.

applepaytouchid.jpg

Though support for Apple Pay at the pump is just now rolling out, Chevron was listed as an early Apple Pay partner. The payments service is supported at Chevron and Texaco gas stations, but can only be used at the in-store cash register, a considerably less convenient option than paying right at the pump.

Apple Pay, which recently expanded to the United Kingdom, has been adopted at more than 700,000 locations across the United States. Dozens of major retailers support the payments service, with more retailers adding Apple Pay payment options each month.

Article Link: Chevron Debuts Apple Pay Gasoline Pump Pilot Program in Bay Area

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I'm hoping for this as well. I was just in Vegas and was very disappointed that Apple Pay wasn't accepted anywhere. Cabs, McDonalds, vending machines, no luck.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Insecure as in possibility of hacked readers stealing card numbers or insecure as in possibility of getting robbed? The latter would get worse.
The former.

Why would the latter get worse? Because instead of a car, phone, wallet and laptop, I now have a car, phone, wallet, laptop and watch?

Reactions: doelcm82

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
The former.

Why would the latter get worse? Because instead of a car, phone, wallet and laptop, I now have a car, phone, wallet, laptop and watch?

(Expensive) Phones will attract more thieves than credit cards. To someone looking to make some cash, it's easier to run off with your phone than to use your credit card.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
(Expensive) Phones will attract more thieves than credit cards. To someone looking to make some cash, it's easier to run off with your phone than to use your credit card.
It's easier to skim the card than confront someone in a public place. I still have the phone, whether I'm using it to pay for my gas or not. I've never been robbed at a gas station, but I have had my card hacked and see it happen to people I know on at least a monthly basis.

(maybe this is a good reason to get a 16GB iPhone since you can still use it for Apple Pay but it is apparently such an abomination that nobody would even want to steal it...)

Reactions: JoEw

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007

Not really since everyone already knows everyone at the gas station already has an expensive phone.

Reactions: sik08amg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.