Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
See, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple Pay and similar technologies never break 10-20% of transactions in the US for a long, long time. A lot of people are very resistant to change.
Yeah.. I mean the technology at the center of what makes the credit and debit system work is more than five decades old. So if it's gone this long without dying...

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah.. I mean the technology at the center of what makes the credit and debit system work is more than five decades old. So if it's gone this long without dying...
When it comes to people's cash they will be more resistant to change. But resistant doesn't mean never happen. I've seen a lot of people use Apple Pay in line lately.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
When it comes to people's cash they will be more resistant to change. But resistant doesn't mean never happen. I've seen a lot of people use Apple Pay in line lately.

But is it going to happen in a short enough period of time to make it worthwhile for the 1000+ banks and CUs that have signed on? I'm imagining a situation where a lot of them decide to no longer offer Apple Pay support at the end of the initial contract simply because it didn't bring in additional revenue like they had hoped.

Also, a lot of retailers with terminals that could support NFC look like they're only going to support chip and signature/PIN and not NFC (such as Target)*. Hopefully only initially but who knows? It still means that people could very well just switch to chip and find no real justification to use anything else.

*Since NFC could easily be enabled before EMV/chip support if the retailer wanted to (especially if you're okay with making people sign for purchases when using Apple Pay), I'm making the assumption that if it's not already turned on, it won't be when chip is finally turned on. This could be an incorrect assumption but we don't know yet considering there's only three major retailers with EMV support right now.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Yeah I have too! I also use it as much as I can. It won't be hard to convince the techies to use it, they'll know about its security, convenience, etc. It'll be the mass populus that will present the challenge.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
But is it going to happen in a short enough period of time to make it worthwhile for the 1000+ banks and CUs that have signed on? I'm imagining a situation where a lot of them decide to no longer offer Apple Pay support at the end of the initial contract simply because it didn't bring in additional revenue like they had hoped.

Also, a lot of retailers with terminals that could support NFC look like they're only going to support chip and signature/PIN and not NFC (such as Target)*. Hopefully only initially but who knows? It still means that people could very well just switch to chip and find no real justification to use anything else.

*Since NFC could easily be enabled before EMV/chip support if the retailer wanted to (especially if you're okay with making people sign for purchases when using Apple Pay), I'm making the assumption that if it's not already turned on, it won't be when chip is finally turned on. This could be an incorrect assumption but we don't know yet considering there's only three major retailers with EMV support right now.
There's definitely more too it. The merchant service provider must offer it as well and many don't when it comes to integrated Pos.

I have installed many POS terminals with chase Paymentech as a provider and even though they offer Contactless for their standalone terminals, they still don't for folks with integrated POS setups.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
The Chevron next to Avaya Stadium in San Jose, CA seems to support it at the pump too (now?) Couldn't use it this time because I had to use work's card for this trip but next time I come to the Bay Area I'll give it a shot. :cool:

kdarling

macrumors P6
No, it's not the spark from the cell phone that's the issue. It's static electricity. It's the same reason you should touch something to discharge yourself as you slide out of the car.

Yeah, it's usually static electricity that causes a gas station spark.

In theory, a phone's vibrator motor's brushes might cause a spark as well when it rings if vibration is turned on, but it's unlikely the phone is inside enough fuel-air to cause a problem.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I was JUST wishing for this today. I was walking my dog and hopped into the car on a whim to get gas. It was only when I pulled up to the pump that I realized I didn't have my purse. Whomp whomp. I was staring at the pump, wishing it had NFC installed.

Chevron is one gas station I frequent, because I can usually get a discount thanks to its partnership with Vons (Safeway).

kdarling

macrumors P6
See, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple Pay and similar technologies never break 10-20% of transactions in the US for a long, long time. A lot of people are very resistant to change.

I just looked up the UK statistics.

After six years of accelerating adoption, contactless payments now account for 8% of transactions by number (89 million taps per month out of 1.1 billion purchases), and 1% by value (£633 million out of £51 billion per month).

A fair amount (10 - 30% ?? not sure yet) of the quantity is made up of ticket taps for London bus/underground transport.

Both quantity and value are expected to increase a bit due to coming higher contactless limits and the availability of more phone methods (e.g. Apple Pay).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.