Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While some critics within the tech media have heavily scrutinized the Apple Watch since its launch, new survey data shared by Techpinions suggests that the true mass market sentiment toward the wrist-worn device is overwhelmingly positive. In particular, the survey found that traditionally "non-tech" users liked the Apple Watch more than those with a closer connection to the tech industry.

According to research firm Wristly and Creative Strategies analyst Ben Bajarin, overall customer satisfaction with the Apple Watch is 97%, which is the highest customer satisfaction rating of any first-generation Apple product ever released. Wristly determined that rating by combining the "Very Satisfied/Delighted" (66%) and "Somewhat Satisfied" (31%) boxes together.

Apple-Watch-Customer-Satisfaction-800x546.jpg

The survey data is based on the Wristly Apple Watch Owner Network, a diversified panel of over a thousand Apple Watch buyers. Wristly says that it asked respondents a series of pre-qualification questions to ensure that the panel did not skew towards only early adopters and instead represented a healthy range of consumers. Among those profiled, Wristly found 34% to be "tech insiders" and 53% to be "non-tech" users.
What has been fascinating about the Wristly Apple Watch Panel is how diverse it is across the adoption cycle spectrum. We have those on the bleeding edge of adoption all the way through mainstream consumers who aren't buying it for the sake of Apple fanaticism or love of tech and gadgetry but because they saw the utility and usefulness of the product right off the bat. They are all represented in our panel.
Apple Watch customer satisfaction was found to be higher than the original iPhone and iPad, which scored 92% and 91% ratings respectively, although satisfaction levels were contrasting among different types of users. "Non-tech" users and "tech insiders" were most satisfied with the Apple Watch, while "app builders" were slightly less satisfied, with less than half choosing the "Very Satisfied" box.

Wristly-Apple-Watch-CusSat-Users-800x546.jpg

Apple has not publicly disclosed any official Apple Watch sales figures to date, and will be grouping the wrist-worn device under its "Other Products" category in quarterly earnings reports. Apple Watch global sales estimates range between 2.8 million and 5.7 million ahead of the company's third quarter fiscal results set to be announced on Tuesday at 1:30 PM Pacific.

Article Link: Apple Watch Beats Original iPhone and iPad in Customer Satisfaction Among Early Adopters

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The question is: to what degree does being satisfied with the product mean that the customers are actually using it regularly? I own an Apple Watch, and I don't have many complaints about the device, it functions well... but it still doesn't find its way onto my wrist very often.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So basically when you talk to people who aren't techies and designers in the Bay Area you get a different opinion. My guess is Apple cares more about what the average consumer thinks than San Francisco designers working with Fitbit. Or Facebook, which took 18 months to make a universal version of their iOS app and still doesn't suport continuity or native share sheets with iOS 8.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Sure.. If u believe that "somewhat satisfied" is equal to "satisfied" then yes you should easily find "satisfaction rates" above 90%
The issue is that a lot of people have some sort of insecurity regarding giving anything a perfect score. For many people, "somewhat satisfied" is basically the same as other people's "very satisfied".

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
The issue is that a lot of people have some sort of insecurity regarding giving anything a perfect score. For many people, "somewhat satisfied" is basically the same as other people's "very satisfied".

Oh, I thought it would be the other way around. Was this survey asked publicly or was it done online?

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
Kind of surprising considering all the people selling the Watch as soon as it's landed on their doormat. Myself included btw.
"all the people" is a very small percentage apparently. In fact, it's highly likely the person you sold it to is at least somewhat satisfied with the device. If you are talking about scalping, you don't even count in this survey. You aren't an owner, just a predator I guess.

The question is: to what degree does being satisfied with the product mean that the customers are actually using it regularly? I own an Apple Watch, and I don't have many complaints about the device, it functions well... but it still doesn't find its way onto my wrist very often.
I'd have liked to see that in the survey. The big fight here is for watches in general. I'm guessing you weren't a person that wore a watch before you bought it. Watch people have their watches on every day. It's like putting on glasses. I haven't worn a watch in a long time, but I'm sure I'd slip right back into it.

All that said, I didn't bite yet. Wasn't a good time financially (between jobs) but even before that I was just not quite there yet. The biggest thing for me is that inability to glance at the time without raising you wrist. That's what I used to do when I wore a watch and would do while teaching. That and the cost because I'd want to get one for my wife at the same time, so everything is double. ;) I'm guessing Apple will get me in the next upgrade cycle which is still a mystery isn't it.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK

Try wearing it all of the time. Then try and go without it.

I can't fathom how it can be something you only use when you feel like it, kinda defeats the point.

JoJack82

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010

Why not?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Why is it so impossible for people to believe that a very well design, very well built, and well liked product could also be a flop?

As I typed that, I was reminded of the Sega Dreamcast. It had better graphics than any other game console out at the time. It was the first game console with a built-in modem for online multiplayer. Not to mention dozens of other innovations. Everyone that had one absolutely loved it. Yet, it is considered a huge flop.

Maybe the pricing isn't quite right. Maybe some of the functionality is released too soon - there is a "right time" for new features to really flourish. Maybe the product is amazing, but it is a solution in search of a problem.

Sometimes great products flop. It's not impossible.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Is there any reason Apple couldn't decide to announce Apple Watch numbers at any point? Does the fact that they had said they'd just be grouping it in with Other mean that they can't decide to change their mind and announce them separately? (Not sure if there's some public trading rules that would prohibit it or something.)

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
That's a disingenuous conclusion to make from this survey.

I'm more inclined to look at the detail:

Only 66% are very satisfied.
31% are somewhat satisfied.

I'm pretty sure that the very satisfied rates for the iPad were much higher than that. As such, this is the most disappointing reception for an Apple product in the post-Steve Jobs era, and probably the worst customer satisfaction rating for a new product since Steve Jobs returned to Apple in the 90s.

But I guess that sales have been dismal and the return rate substantial, so this is a desperate scrap to cling to.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011

Oh, I thought it would be the other way around. Was this survey asked publicly or was it done online?

I never trust these types of questionnaires for products without seeing exactly how the question was worded.

See: Social desirability bias, Central tendency bias, Acquiescence bias, and Likert scale.

Reactions: bhayes444

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I have an Apple Watch and am very satisfied with it, and I'm sure I'll be even more satisfied this fall when the new update arrives.

That said, I think satisfaction is different from seeing its value. While I'm satisfied, I still wouldn't encourage most people to spend this much on it. I find myself mostly using mine for basic notifications and a convenience while running. These features can be found in other smart watches at about half this price, or less.

But if they could bring the price down, or add some more killer, super usable features, then we have both value and satisfaction.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
So basically when you talk to people who aren't techies and designers in the Bay Area you get a different opinion. My guess is Apple cares more about what the average consumer thinks than San Francisco designers working with Fitbit. Or Facebook, which took 18 months to make a universal version of their iOS app and still doesn't suport continuity or native share sheets with iOS 8.
Well, yea. The average consumer is their customer base. Not that they shouldn't care about developers, but the end user is what it's all about. You're not going to turn a profit if your main area of focus is developers.

Reactions: flur
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.