Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuiteSharp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
You guys should read the original report as it answers some of your questions. For instance if it was worth the cost, if you would buy one for someone else and a breakdown of what you think about build quality, design, ease of use, performance etc.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/bbfb8a_2ea66bffc09b40d099237bb8381346f1.pdf

I'm very satisfied with my watch even though it was a pain for the first month of the watchOS beta (1 and 2) but once beta 3 arrived I remembered how it was when I got it the first time. I imagine most of the techies and app developers run the watchOS beta, hence why they are not as satisfied as the non-techies.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Why is it so impossible for people to believe that a very well design, very well built, and well liked product could also be a flop?

As I typed that, I was reminded of the Sega Dreamcast. It had better graphics than any other game console out at the time. It was the first game console with a built-in modem for online multiplayer. Not to mention dozens of other innovations. Everyone that had one absolutely loved it. Yet, it is considered a huge flop.

Maybe the pricing isn't quite right. Maybe some of the functionality is released too soon - there is a "right time" for new features to really flourish. Maybe the product is amazing, but it is a solution in search of a problem.

Sometimes great products flop. It's not impossible.

Apple sold ~4 million smartwatches with a starting price of $349 and maximum price of $17,000. Other companies would love to have a "flop" like that.

The goal was never to sell every iPhone 6 bundled with a Watch, and if you ever thought it was, that's utterly delusional thinking.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
so far the watch is great for everything except for using apps its so slow but i guess that will all change soon can't wait
Agreed. I love my watch and am very happy with it to the degree that if functions as a watch and a activity monitor. The Duo app for second factor authorization works well, pretty much no other 3rd part App is good yet. I am hopeful that the next OS upgrade will really bring out some great uses for the watch. This last statement should be detract from the fact that it is both a great watch and activity tracker in a beautiful fashion statement. The future will make it even more.

Additional comment -
I want to add that the continuity features are very nice. I love that I can check who is calling on the watch before looking to pull out my watch. Same with Text messages. I did turn off emails because that was just too much.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why is it so impossible for people to believe that a very well design, very well built, and well liked product could also be a flop?

As I typed that, I was reminded of the Sega Dreamcast. It had better graphics than any other game console out at the time. It was the first game console with a built-in modem for online multiplayer. Not to mention dozens of other innovations. Everyone that had one absolutely loved it. Yet, it is considered a huge flop.

Maybe the pricing isn't quite right. Maybe some of the functionality is released too soon - there is a "right time" for new features to really flourish. Maybe the product is amazing, but it is a solution in search of a problem.

Why is it so impossible for some to understand that that well-designed and built product is indeed a great solution for many people?

There are some people who think the watch is just a tiny screen version of an iPhone and will immediately judge it as lacking in what a smartphone should do and be. That's silly.

Others will get the Watch's utility immediately, and know it was not intended to be a phone replacement, rather an assistive communications device that helps people get through a busy day much more efficiently providing curated information and data (including time/day/date) that is easily read and digested through quick glances while their phone stays in their pocket. That, as well as other aspects (such as health tracking) is its value.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I asked my family who has five Apple Watches --- 3 very satisfied and 2 somewhat satisfied. The two said speedier third part apps and better heart-rate monitoring during a workout would put it into the very satisfied category. All love it and wear them consistently.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Not surprising at all. I also have an Apple Watch and I'm very satisfied. I've had so many wearables, it's ridiculous. The Apple Watch is in a league of it's own. Currently, nothing else can touch it. I only personally know about 5-6 people with one, but they all love them.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
That's a disingenuous conclusion to make from this survey.

I'm more inclined to look at the detail:

Only 66% are very satisfied.
31% are somewhat satisfied.

I'm pretty sure that the very satisfied rates for the iPad were much higher than that. As such, this is the most disappointing reception for an Apple product in the post-Steve Jobs era, and probably the worst customer satisfaction rating for a new product since Steve Jobs returned to Apple in the 90s.

But I guess that sales have been dismal and the return rate substantial, so this is a desperate scrap to cling to.

Couldn't find iPad 1, but iPad 2 was 71% very satisfied.

table1.gif

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I am a small data point - so take this with a grain of sand. With other Apple products - iPad, iPhone, the people who had them would actively "evangelize" others to them. I haven't seen the same passion from the three people I know who have an Apple Watch. They almost seem to make apologies for it - but they do wear them every time I see them, so they can't be dissatisfied with it. Maybe it just isn't at the level where they'd recommend it to friends.

I was the same way with my first Wearable (Android Wear). I'd wear it, but I wouldn't urge others to buy one.

We'll see what happens in a couple of generations, but if you don't care to wear a watch (like myself), I just don't see that many of the features of the Apple Watch would compel you to spend $350-$1000 on one.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Were there only 4 options? I feel like the graphic leaves out the "very dissatisfied" option. If that wasn't present in the survey then there is some.obvious question bias going on. Plus, if there are only 4 options, and no middle ground (even though one option is actually in the middle), people's inclination is to make their opinion lean to one side of the fence or the other and not stay on the fence. Plus, like others, I'd like to see the "representative" sample of this survey. Survey results are too easily skewed based on a variety of sampling practices you can use to manipulate the results, from.the wording of the questions/answers to the way the survey is presented. Always always always take survey results with not just a grain, but many grains of salt.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Well, yea. The average consumer is their customer base. Not that they shouldn't care about developers, but the end user is what it's all about. You're not going to turn a profit if your main area of focus is developers.
My point is most of the media FUD about Watch is based not on average consumers but techies and designers in the Bay Area. But it can have an impact on the general public perception.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
So... these are the surveys that those people with clipboards at the shopping mall conduct?

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Kind of surprising considering all the people selling the Watch as soon as it's landed on their doormat. Myself included btw.
The silliness of these kinds of statements is that you assume that what you did and felt reflects the majority. If you get your "majority" from these boards, then you aren't even close to reality. The way you use the word "all" proves this. There is an incredible arrogance amongst board participants who comment negatively that their feelings reflect the majority and that isn't necessarily true.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
The question is: to what degree does being satisfied with the product mean that the customers are actually using it regularly? I own an Apple Watch, and I don't have many complaints about the device, it functions well... but it still doesn't find its way onto my wrist very often.

I've not stopped wearing mine personally. I take it off when I sleep, but I wear it as my sole watch now. Even though I have 6 other watches I could be wearing. I love the data I can get from it, and its style works with everything I wear generally. I still need the sport band (must get that at some point), I have the 42mm SS milanese loop currently. I need a sport band that works more like this loop does (magnetic, and slide adjustable. But, maybe someone creative will make it third party style.

I personally love this watch. Can't wait for iOS2 for it.

Reactions: Kroo

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
The question is: to what degree does being satisfied with the product mean that the customers are actually using it regularly? I own an Apple Watch, and I don't have many complaints about the device, it functions well... but it still doesn't find its way onto my wrist very often.

It's on my wrist 90% of my awake hours as it is with the vast majority of owners. And their are more satisfied owners than dissatisfied owners by many orders of magnitude. The need to the watch bashers to persist with their negativity and hatred is a psychological phenomena that I don't quite understand.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Wow.. so much data... so relevant.. makes so much sense comparing 2007 Apple and 2015 Apple user base.. so smitten

Comparing with iPhone and iPad involves 2007 and 2010 data respectively.

With which other first generation Apple products would you prefer that customer satisfaction levels are compared?

Reactions: flur and Xtremjeepn

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
heh, user satisfaction surveys should never be asked, of any product, ever within 6 months of purchase.

its' always a misleading statistic that shows more cognitive dissonance than enjoyment.

psychologically speaking, most people will usually be more satisfied with something they just bought, especially the larger the ticket item is, due to this mental process.

any product will have drop off of consumer satisfaction after prolonged ownership, when the quirks start becoming more noticeable. the "freshness" wears off.

I think overall, even 6 months out, the satisfication will still be good. but not "over 90%" good. the Apple watch is a nicely crafted piece of hardware. have finally had a chance to play around and try one out and I am impressed by the quality of the product.

QuiteSharp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
I want to add that the continuity features are very nice. I love that I can check who is calling on the watch before looking to pull out my watch. Same with Text messages. I did turn off emails because that was just too much.

I completely agree. Usually I have my iPhone 6 Plus stuck in my pocket or jacket while listening to music or podcasts. When the phone rings I just take a peek at the watch to see who's calling and them press the button on my headphones. Very convenient and not something I had anticipated.

Were there only 4 options? I feel like the graphic leaves out the "very dissatisfied" option. If that wasn't present in the survey then there is some.obvious question bias going on. Plus, if there are only 4 options, and no middle ground (even though one option is actually in the middle), people's inclination is to make their opinion lean to one side of the fence or the other and not stay on the fence. Plus, like others, I'd like to see the "representative" sample of this survey. Survey results are too easily skewed based on a variety of sampling practices you can use to manipulate the results, from.the wording of the questions/answers to the way the survey is presented. Always always always take survey results with not just a grain, but many grains of salt.

There is a fifth option (read the original report) but there were simply no respondents choosing Very Dissatisfied. Go figure.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy

Other times, great products don't flop. Apple Watch is off to an incredible start.

Reactions: Xtremjeepn and Kroo

drewjonesy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012

While some critics within the tech media have heavily scrutinized the Apple Watch since its launch, new survey data shared by Techpinions suggests that the true mass market sentiment toward the wrist-worn device is overwhelmingly positive. In particular, the survey found that traditionally "non-tech" users liked the Apple Watch more than those with a closer connection to the tech industry.

According to research firm Wristly and Creative Strategies analyst Ben Bajarin, overall customer satisfaction with the Apple Watch is 97%, which is the highest customer satisfaction rating of any first-generation Apple product ever released. Wristly determined that rating by combining the "Very Satisfied/Delighted" (66%) and "Somewhat Satisfied" (31%) boxes together.

Apple-Watch-Customer-Satisfaction-800x546.jpg

The survey data is based on the Wristly Apple Watch Owner Network, a diversified panel of over a thousand Apple Watch buyers. Wristly says that it asked respondents a series of pre-qualification questions to ensure that the panel did not skew towards only early adopters and instead represented a healthy range of consumers. Among those profiled, Wristly found 34% to be "tech insiders" and 53% to be "non-tech" users.Apple Watch customer satisfaction was found to be higher than the original iPhone and iPad, which scored 92% and 91% ratings respectively, although satisfaction levels were contrasting among different types of users. "Non-tech" users and "tech insiders" were most satisfied with the Apple Watch, while "app builders" were slightly less satisfied, with less than half choosing the "Very Satisfied" box.

Wristly-Apple-Watch-CusSat-Users-800x546.jpg

Apple has not publicly disclosed any official Apple Watch sales figures to date, and will be grouping the wrist-worn device under its "Other Products" category in quarterly earnings reports. Apple Watch global sales estimates range between 2.8 million and 5.7 million ahead of the company's third quarter fiscal results set to be announced on Tuesday at 2:00 PM Pacific.

Article Link: Apple Watch Beats Original iPhone and iPad in Customer Satisfaction Among Early Adopters

NanaMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
I'm using Apple Watch for two months now.... I just love my watch. In coming years it's gonna be huge hit like other top Apple products.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Why is that the question???

If somebody is "very satisfied" with their Apple Watch purchase, but find that they only need the convenience it provides for them, say... the 3 days per week that they commute for work- does that in some way change their overall satisfaction???

I think it does not & your doom/gloom spin on this positive news is laughable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.