Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_9_icon.jpg
Apple today seeded second betas of iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan to public beta testers, nearly two weeks after beta testers received access to the first public betas. Today's iOS 9 public beta offering has a build number of 13A4305g, which means content-wise, it's the same as the fourth iOS 9 beta that was seeded to developers yesterday. The version of OS X El Capitan public beta testers are receiving is also identical to El Capitan beta 4.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program and already have the first public betas installed can update over-the-air for iOS 9 or through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store for OS X.

The iOS 9 beta includes the return of Home Sharing for music, which was removed in iOS 8.4, and it's the first beta that supports Apple's new iPod touch. Other changes include a new look for Handoff in the app switcher and a bug fix that once again allows the volume buttons on an iOS device to serve as a shutter for the camera. A full list of changes in the beta can be found in our iOS 9 beta 4 tidbits list.

OS X El Capitan beta 4 focused more on performance improvements and bug fixes with few outward changes to the operating system.

Both iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan 10.11 are expected to be released in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan Public Betas

blastair

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I tried to find out after the release of the first public beta, but how does this affect Apple Watch functionality?

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Enjoyed my public beta iOS 9 on iPad Air 2, but had to revert back to iOS 8 after somehow it's mere ~12Gb was getting filled up even though I had it filled with ~9Gb of stuff.

Hey, at least I got to have fun with the split screen functionality. :)

ZeroFiveO

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
Are the El Capitan public betas pretty stable? I'm signed up for the beta program but haven't upgraded because I'm concerned about stability.
I have experienced some hangs, unable to Shut Down normally sometimes, some Finder folders show some digital jibber-jabber like Applications and takes a few clicks to make it show normally. FCPX doesn’t work, but Aperture, iMovie, Photos is OK. Installing PB2 and see what gives.

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
Are the El Capitan public betas pretty stable? I'm signed up for the beta program but haven't upgraded because I'm concerned about stability.

Not really. El Capitan has several issues with third-party apps and even Safari and Mail. I have had several odd things happen. Same with iOS9. Several apps don't work or weird behavior.

Lerten

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Does the Watch on watchOS 1.01 work normally with iOS 9 public beta on iPhone after re-paring it? Or does it require watchOS 2?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Good to see that they are pretty much keeping the developer previews and public betas in sync.
I remember when iOS 8.4 beta was released, DP3 was identical to PB1, and DP4 to PB2.

This one is similar to iOS 8.4.

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
Have updated El Capitan to beta 2 and still says to update it in software update so annoying

Edit: sorted itself not doing it now

Last edited:

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
Does the Watch on watchOS 1.01 works normally with iOS 9 public beta on iPhone after re-paring it? Or does it require watchOS 2?
I didn't have to repair anything. Watch is on iOS 1.0.1 and upgraded to iOS 9 public beta on iPhone and everything just worked as expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.