Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Are the El Capitan public betas pretty stable? I'm signed up for the beta program but haven't upgraded because I'm concerned about stability.

No one will be able to tell for sure ... everyone is different in what they use and how they use it. There are no guarantees from apple (hence beta), .... but:

For me it is super stable, probably the most stable OS X beta ever, only mail crashes from time to time, but a simple restart of mail works. Nothing to complain for how I use the system ... but despite that, I didn't dare to install it on my main production machine, I just have it on one of my laptops which is not essential to me (but I use it a lot, mostly because of the beta).

EDIT: forgot to add this: Before you try it, I recommend doing a bootable disk clone (e.g. using CCC) to an external hard drive - that way you have an easy way back in case experience sucks for you, you can just clone the old setup back. ... Also, I am using the developer beta4, not the public beta, but shouldn't make a big difference.

Reactions: Zakzilla

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I hope this fixes all the glitches for iCloud Music and Apple Music such Apple Music adding random albums to my My Music when I never added the album or heard of.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Are the El Capitan public betas pretty stable? I'm signed up for the beta program but haven't upgraded because I'm concerned about stability.

Stable for the most part, but I'm having issues with Outlook. The app crashes, stops responding, lags, and I'm unable to click any links from within the email.

Spotify is behaving weird too, hangs and even force quit doesn't seem to work every time.

Finally, overall browsing (Chrome and Safari) seems a bit slower and pages take longer to load. I have a 150 Mb down / 50 up internet connection running thru Apple's newest Airport extreme router.

At this stage, I couldn't recommend running El Capitan on your primary machine.

Uprise42

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
A problem I had with PB1 was IPv4 and IPv6. When I went from wifi>LTE>3G>1x I couldn't use data for anything except Facebook and google searches. It wouldn't open any webpages from the results page though. After digging several posts pinpointed back to this issue with IPv4 and IPv6. I'm not complaining cause I know it's a beta so I'm not upset but I did revert back to 8.4 over it. My question is does the PB2 have these same problems? Didn't notice anything in the developer preview change logs and this is supposed to be the same. But I did love the beta and would absolutely love to go back if that issue is fixed. Really the only problem I had that prevented me using my phone. So anyone know if it's fixed?

Reactions: agwin27

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Stable for the most part, but I'm having issues with Outlook. The app crashes, stops responding, lags, and I'm unable to click any links from within the email.

Unfortunately this is normal outlook behavior for me :-( ... I actually switched to the outlook web interface which is much more usable. While I was still using it, it was basically the only app that I had to force kill from time to time.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Depends on person by person. I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with El Cap on my 2011 13" MBP i7 2.7GB. iOS 9, on the other hand, would have LTE issues on VZW and the screen would have this extremely annoying status bar problem on top. The phone is very much useable (as long as I am on wifi), but not the most stable. Others have had similar, yet also opposite findings.

UKPoliticsGuy

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
Anyone having problems installing the OS X? It keeps on downloading and then upon installing a dialog box opens and says "Available updates have changed: Click "Show details" to see available updates".

I click 'show details' and the same thing happens again and then says update installed below (this is false). Help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 19.11.17.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 19.11.17.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 179

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
@DustinLH00What does yoda mean ?

Yoda is a character from the Star Wars films (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoda)
He is known for his unique phraseology when speaking. For example, instead of saying "You have become powerful, I sense the dark side in you", he would say "Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you."

Your statement earlier was "I deleted yesterday the public beta profile" instead of "I deleted the public beta profile yesterday." When you place the object of your sentence at the end it makes you sound like Yoda. Hope this helps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I remember when iOS 8.4 beta was released, DP3 was identical to PB1, and DP4 to PB2.

This one is similar to iOS 8.4.
Right. I meant it as much in the sense of the builds being the same as the release timing being pretty much the same (so far within about a day).

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
It's a beta...
Helpful post here...
/s

Meaning exactly what? It should not function in multiple area's because it's a beta?

Personally, i want to know if Mail works; you know that program the entire workforce relies on to communicate for business. That has not functioned properly since Snow Leopard. Exchange accounts/IMAP, etc.

Fix that alone, and I am loading up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.