Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday began contacting some customers who recently purchased third-generation Apple TVs, informing them that their devices had shipped with an unspecified faulty part and offering an exchange for a brand-new unit shipped from the company.

Unlike some other repair or recall programs, Apple has not posted a public advisory about the issue, suggesting it is a small batch of affected units. As a result, the company is proactively reaching out to owners of the devices known to be defective and offering an exchange. Our defective Apple TV was purchased just a few weeks ago, and other affected customers are likely to have purchased their devices in a similar timeframe.

replacement_apple_tv.jpg
Replacement Apple TV shipped overnight from Apple
Hi Mitchel,

I understand the concern, Apple typically does not reach out to customers proactively this way.

I just need you to confirm that you have this device and to make sure I have the right shipping address (i see that below). I will then send you a new apple tv, we will email FedEx labels to send back the old one then once we get the old one, we will send you an iTunes gift card for the troubles.
Some users receiving emails from Apple may not have experienced any issues with their Apple TVs, as workers at the Help Desk have noted the company is taking preventative measures in identifying devices with the faulty part before any problems may arise.

Because Apple is contacting affected users individually and has not posted an information page on the Apple TV issue, it's likely that only a very small number of people purchased a faulty Apple TV. Readers do not need to worry whether their Apple TVs are defective, as anyone with a bad device will be contacted directly by Apple. Those who have been contacted, however, should be reassured that this is a legitimate replacement program initiated by Apple.

Article Link: Apple Recalling Small Number of Third-Generation Apple TVs Due to Faulty Part

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Customer service done right - send the replacement before getting the faulty one back. Customer doesn't lose anything, and even gains a few $ on the gift card.

Apple didn't design this workflow, but it sure beats how much crud you have to go through when dealing with the likes of Asus.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Customer service done right - send the replacement before getting the faulty one back. Customer doesn't lose anything, and even gains a few $ on the gift card.

Apple didn't design this workflow, but it sure beats how much crud you have to go through when dealing with the likes of Asus.

Couldn't agree more, Apple's customer service is second-to-none – they're up there with Logitech.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
What about those of us who got our ATV's second hand?

Contact Apple Support if you're having an issue with it, they'll likely replace it even if it's out-of-warranty. If you're not having a problem, you needn't worry. :)

Plus the article says recently purchased units, which to me says if it's over 6 months old you shouldn't be concerned.

Reactions: Gasu E.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Anyone suspicious that maybe there is something IN the Apple TV that Apple doesn't want us to see? We need to tear down, fix-it style, one of these "faulty" apple tvs to see what is really going on inside.
My first thought also. They seem to be so anxious to get these units back pronto. Don't recall Apple ever having been this proactive with a recall. Did any purchasers actually report having a problem?

Reactions: SteveW928

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
AudioEngine did virtually the same thing for me.
Hmm, and what if I'm a little more specific? Like, no other big company like Samsung, Microsoft, Acer, ASUS or Sony come close to this kind of service. That was actually what I meant.

I mean, I've had great experiences with 'not so big' companies. But when trying to contact a company like ASUS you're just screwed. And Apple? Well, they always have helped me incredibly well with issues. And seeing this kind of news makes me even more proud of Apple's commitment to customer service. :)

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Someone should do a teardown of one of these "faulty" Apple TV's. Is it faulty like "oops, you now have an A9 chip and 128GB storage, can we have that back quick?"

I agree. It sounds like the factory in China accidentally shipped the new Apple TV instead of the old one.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
My first thought also. They seem to be so anxious to get these units back pronto. Don't recall Apple ever having been this proactive with a recall. Did any purchasers actually report having a problem?

Someone should do a teardown of one of these "faulty" Apple TV's. Is it faulty like "oops, you now have an A9 chip and 128GB storage, can we have that back quick?"

Because MacRumors's Apple TV was identified, maybe they'll tear theirs down?

Reactions: sparkie1984

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Reminds me of that slient recall where the Wi-Fi would stop working on certain Rev A Gen 3 Apple TVs. I recycled mine and bought a new one before I read about that recall that was already in effect before hand. They just assumed that people would bring them in to get them fixed instead of throwing the $99 hockey puck in the trash. The support article wasn't even known to the Apple Store when I took my second Apple TV in. I had to bring in a print out of a screen shot someone took at an AASP and leaked online so they could look up the article number.

I called into customer relations and they couldn't refund the purchase price of the new Apple TV that I had to pay for, but they sent me a free iPod nano ($150 value) so I was happy.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
they need to get their act together because when they introduce (same ol) products in upcoming keynote..i don't want faulty/defects. you hear me, Apple?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.