Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevenWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Anyone suspicious that maybe there is something IN the Apple TV that Apple doesn't want us to see? We need to tear down, fix-it style, one of these "faulty" apple tvs to see what is really going on inside.

Absolutely, no doubt.

• Timing soooooo close to the ATV4 release
  • No public info on this 'issue' and recall
  • Secretly contacting people to replace, free courier to return AND free gift cards...
  • Apple desperately do not want one of these pulled down.

These rogue ATV3 latest release devices obviously contain parts from the new ATV4 by mistake.

Poor bastards returning them for a giftcard.... these would be worth mega $$$$$$ down the track as one off Apple mistakes.

So the ATV4 lives!!

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Absolutely, no doubt.

• Secretly contacting people to replace, free courier to return AND free gift cards...

These rogue ATV3 latest release devices obviously contain parts from the new ATV4 by mistake.

Poor bastards returning them for a giftcard.... these would be worth mega $$$$$$ down the track as one off Apple mistakes.

So the ATV4 lives!!

But, what would it matter if it did have ATV4 parts? If the rumors are true, none of that will be a secret much longer, and having some users have them would be no big deal.

My guess is that they've discovered some other issue, such as a DRM-lapse, that they want to stamp out as much and as quickly as possible, but that they don't want to advertise, so as few as possible will figure it out. Or, I suppose, that the ATV is some new pilot program for testing excellent customer service. Take your pick. :)

What this IS NOT, is typical.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
Absolutely, no doubt.

So the ATV4 lives!!

That is absolutely absurd. There's no way these units have a secret "A9" processor or anything like that. That's not how supply chains work.

More likely they have a bad batch of components.

They're just trying to minimise bad publicity in the lead-up to the new Apple TV by avoiding a recall for a known faulty batch.

Had this occurred mid-cycle, not on the eve of the release of a new model, then they wouldn't have cared so much.

StevenWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
But, what would it matter if it did have ATV4 parts?

What this IS NOT, is typical.

Apple have not released spec details of the new ATV4, that last thing they want is for people to tear it down and reveal the new specs before the official announcements.

Having one of these ATV3's with ATV4 specs inside would make them absolute collectors items.. worth $$$$.

And yes you are right, this is not typical Apple behaviour... they are in a panic to silently recover the ATV4 specced boxes before someone tears them down and reveals the truth.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Sony sent me a mail (actual mail) saying the TV I bought was defective and I could get it changed for free simply by sending back a paper.

Nice. I had the same service just today from Samsung about a washing machine. Got a new model, and 5 year warranty without spending any extra - for a machine that was 4 years old.

It took Apple a class action law suit just to do dodgey board replacements on my radeongate effected laptop, which will undoubtedly break again soon (as many others have after being "repaired"). Apple arent exactly high on my list of great after market support companies.

Reactions: mijail

vera c

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
Anyone suspicious that maybe there is something IN the Apple TV that Apple doesn't want us to see? We need to tear down, fix-it style, one of these "faulty" apple tvs to see what is really going on inside.

not really

"Our defective Apple TV was purchased just a few weeks ago, and other affected customers are likely to have purchased their devices in a similar timeframe."

defective.

besides, it's still a back puck. I expect the new one will be a redesign.

the Wifi in my 3rd gen died (went to apple, they didn't even bother checking it out - they handed me a new one, no question). -- it was a year ago though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.