Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today Apple revealed the long-awaited fourth-generation Apple TV, which includes an App Store that allows developers to create apps and games for users to download. The new Apple TV also comes with either 32 GB or 64 GB of local storage. However, Apple's new App Programming Guide for tvOS, first spotted by developer Steve Troughton-Smith, includes some interesting insights into how developers can use that storage. For instance, apps are limited to 200 MB of local storage.

Screen-Shot-2015-09-09-at-4.36.05-PM.png
Each app stored on Apple TV is limited to a maximum of 200MB. In order to create an app greater than this amount, you must break up your app into downloadable bundles. In Xcode, create tags and attach them to the required resources. When your app requests the resources associated with a tag, the operating system downloads only the required assets. You must wait until the assets are downloaded before you can use them in your app.
This means that each app is limited to a 200 MB shell that downloads the assets it needs to run whenever necessary. The new Apple TV, despite having a base of 32 GB of storage, does not have persistent local storage, which means that each time an app is in use it has to make a request to iCloud to re-download the assets it needs to run.

As noted by MacRumors' sister site TouchArcade, it's likely this decision stems from iOS 9's App Thinning, which reduces the size of apps so that users don't use as much of their local storage on their devices. Apple TV apps are universal apps, allowing developers to create one app that can work on iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad and Apple TV. However, because the apps are universal apps, the overall storage size of the app includes assets that aren't entirely relevant for each device. For instance, an iPhone user would have no need for the iPad or Apple TV assets for an app on their iPhone, and an Apple TV user would have no need for iPad or Apple Watch assets on their Apple TV.

Additionally, as noted by Troughton-Smith, Apple has revealed in its programming guide that the new Apple TV has 2 GB of RAM. Normally, Apple declines to publicly reveal how much RAM its iOS-based devices include. For instance, the discovery of how much RAM is in each new iPhone model is regularly speculated about until a teardown or speed test from a third-party can determine it independently.

The new Apple TV will begin shipping in nearly 80 countries at the end of October. The new Siri Remote is only available in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany, Canada and Australia. Other countries will receive a remote that replaces the Siri with a Search app. The new Apple TV is priced at $149 for the 32 GB version and $199 for the 64 GB version.

Article Link: Apple TV App Size Limited to 200 MB Local Storage, Has 2 GB RAM

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Every time I launch Netflix, the Apple TV will have to perform a software update? That sounds incredibly inefficient.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in how I interpreted that...

Reactions: ohio.emt

MacTouch786

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Every time I launch Netflix, the Apple TV will have to perform a software update? That sounds incredibly inefficient.

Basically, it'll download and stream the assets it needs as it needs them. Something like Netflix should be fine because much of its content is streamed anyway. It'll likely affect games more than video or shopping apps.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
seems legit, my guess is that limit will increase if not by launch, by release.

foulgernz

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
I find it both insulting and incongruous that Apple should select a list of countries that remote Siri will be available to/from. As an apple evangelist since Apple ][+ days and loyal to the core (excuse pun) I have been very disappointed in the way that apple (the lack of caps is deliberate) have become more and more dictatorial. The days of "all things to all men" is apparently over as far as apple is concerned and one cannot help but look at the path they are following to be analogous to the way Microsoft went (and suffered for it). Apple should realise that although the principle of telling folk what they need rather than asking them what they want, is a successful formula but that does not mean that they should forget the loyalty that kept them going from thin days to days of plenty. Hopefully enough of this type of message will get through to whoever is the dictator at Apple and trigger an about turn before it is to late. Quote "To be a perfect King one has first to learn to be a perfect slave"

Reactions: GubbyMan

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
This is stupid. A game like Disney Infinity can consume 10GB to 20GB depending on platform. Not sure how a large title like that is supposed to work with a 200 MB local storage cap.

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
So if your internet service for some reason isn't working, you're pretty much SOL in being able to use the new Apple TV. Apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc I understand require internet connection, but single player games should not need to and thus you should be able to turn on your Apple TV and play a game without the need to be connected. I think it's ridiculous every app needs to constantly redownload key files in order to use an app.

Here is a better solution since flash storage is cheap these days, make an Apple TV with 128 and 256 gigs standard, enough with the small flash storage sizes!

Muramasa

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011

Yes and No. The current AppleTV does this already to a lesser degree. The idea behind this is, for something like a game, your device only really needs the assets for the current level that you're on, as well as the next level you're about to enter. There isn't really a need for the device to have all 10 levels of preloaded, when 8/9 of them are always going to be in an idle state at any given time.

Devs will just have to be efficient in their apps so that a single level (or screen, or page) doesn't regularly require large assets that will take too long to download. That's also where the 802.11AC speeds helps quite a bit.

As always with Apple though, the limitations force a bit of finesse from developers so that the overall experience isn't too hampered for the customer. No one wants another AppleTV 1 situation where you quickly run out of storage.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Does this mean there is no storage directory associated with each app?

For instance, Goodreader has a directory tree of media and you can play this media any time, and it hangs around forever.

This is going to limit what this device can do if this is indeed the case. Ever get the feeling Apple often gets things almost right, but never quite 100%?

Muramasa

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
I find it both insulting and incongruous that Apple should select a list of countries that remote Siri will be available to/from. As an apple evangelist since Apple ][+ days and loyal to the core (excuse pun) I have been very disappointed in the way that apple (the lack of caps is deliberate) have become more and more dictatorial. The days of "all things to all men" is apparently over as far as apple is concerned and one cannot help but look at the path they are following to be analogous to the way Microsoft went (and suffered for it). Apple should realise that although the principle of telling folk what they need rather than asking them what they want, is a successful formula but that does not mean that they should forget the loyalty that kept them going from thin days to days of plenty. Hopefully enough of this type of message will get through to whoever is the dictator at Apple and trigger an about turn before it is to late. Quote "To be a perfect King one has first to learn to be a perfect slave"

I don't even understand what it is you're upset about...

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
I don't think this will have the kind of detrimental experience ruining effect you're all worried about. There's a big focus on multi-tasking with the new Apple TV and in the hands on demos the media experienced it looks very fluid and and continuous. A Siri function to switch apps that would then cause you to wait while it downloads your app? Doubtful.

csmoll

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
Seattle
How this is worded is key in understanding what exactly is going on. While there is indeed a 200MB "shell" on the initial app bundle download, the remaining resources up to 20GB (it's right there in the developer doc!) are hosted on-demand on the App Store and downloaded as needed by the app.

Apple TV automatically handles the storing and priority of the data of the apps and stores them locally. But to say they are downloaded each time is incorrect. Only if for some reason another app has been given data priority and resources were deleted to make room.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Only if for some reason another app has been given data priority and resources were deleted to make room.

This makes a lot more sense. If it will work as you describe (FIFO), then that will be great. They should apply the same logic to the phone/pad OS.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So there is an A8 chip with 2GB of RAM. That explains the new iPad mini. It has an A8 chip, but Apple's site showed it with split-screen multitasking.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
I don't even understand what it is you're upset about...

About this:

The new Siri Remote is only available in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany, Canada and Australia. Other countries will receive a remote that replaces the Siri with a Search app.

I agree. Another dick move by Apple.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
So you would buy the larger device to hold more app launchers? 200MB seems small enough that the 32GB would be more than sufficient.

But man, I wish Apple lived in the same world I do where GBs are not free. 5 iOS devices in your house need the same update? Download it 5 times! Game updated? Refresh on the iOS device itself and on the OS X computer it syncs with! It's so wasteful, and now the Apple TV is essentially going to stream the apps themselves! Pretty soon, I won't be able to afford enough bandwidth cap to own Apple devices.

Apple TV automatically handles the storing and priority of the data of the apps and stores them locally. But to say they are downloaded each time is incorrect. Only if for some reason another app has been given data priority and resources were deleted to make room.
Ok. That is way more sensible. Local storage essentially like RAM. Thanks for clarifying.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Nothing in there suggests the remote is at all different for the different countries. Just what the button does in the software is different. In theory, as Apple brings Siri to more languages and countries, this functionality will be enabled through software updates.

Siri/Search. Press and hold to talk in those countries that have the Siri Remote. In all other countries, press to open the onscreen search app.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I *HAVE* to imagine that there is a misreading here - if local storage is disallowed, then there is no purpose for having a higher-cost, higher-capacity model. I'm imagining that it will only download the resources it needs, but that certain "resource packs" will be able to be flagged "cache locally". But that the local storage isn't guaranteed.

i.e. Similar to the Pebble Time's storage method - it would load an app only once you actually try to use it, and keep it stored locally until the storage space is required for something else. (So if you only use apps that require a combined total of less than 32 GB, they'll all be stored locally all the time; but if you download a 10 GB app, then a second 10 GB app, then a THIRD 10 GB app, the AppleTV would automatically purge some of the data from your least-recently-used app to make room for the newest app.)

Reactions: QuarterSwede

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Uhh.... what?

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I find it both insulting and incongruous that Apple should select a list of countries that remote Siri will be available to/from.

If you don't like it, change the laws of the country in question. Would you rather Apple not do anything if they can't roll it out worldwide? If that was the case most of what Apple does today would be gone, and Apple would be dead.

Reactions: V.K.

crofford

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
(x)Arizona ( )Texas
This is stupid. A game like Disney Infinity can consume 10GB to 20GB depending on platform. Not sure how a large title like that is supposed to work with a 200 MB local storage cap.
Yep...go right ahead and jump to your WRONG conclusion there and start bad mouthing a product that you haven't even learned about.

Reactions: Kaibelf
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.