Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
SlapTech reported that PowerBook G4 1GHz machines might be making the rounds... but should not be expeced until later this fall.

Apple Computer will not release a new model of their award winning PowerBook G4 until later this fall, but company executives were seen toying with prototypes of the new model just last week.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
This could very well be true as it si about time for it to happen. My question is, given the rumor of new G4s, will the Powerbook use them? Does anyone know much about this chip, specifically how hot it runs. A new case revision for the towers is in line, but the Tis are so elegant, I'd hate to see the form factor messed by a fan. Of course, a new case for the Tis may also mean a super drive, tying up another rumor into the mix.:D

robguz

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
Wasn't this inevitable? it's a pretty minor speed bump from 800. So we should see it 4-5 months from the last update. Hopefully they will finally equip the pro line with pro level 5400 RPM hard drives, DDR RAM and at least a 2MB L3. The video card ought to be at 64MB by then too to be on par with Wintel machines. Let's hope they don't decide to raise prices yet again for a speed bump. What I'd really like to see is a slightly larger 16" widescreen with even slightly higher resolution than it has now. This wouldn't add much to size or weight. But I imagine a case redesign won't happen until MWSF at the earliest. Personnally I hope they don't change it much because the design is still gorgeous and not dated looking at all!

cmoney

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
I don't think I've heard rumors of Superdrives being put into TiBooks, just that that's what people were hoping for. It took them a really long time to get slot-loading, low profile Combo DVD/CD-RW drives for the current TiBook. Even with a larger case, Apple would have a hard time finding a Superdrive for a laptop. And could you imagine the heat it would create? Putting it inside along with a 1GHz G4, you could probably fry and egg on that PowerBook! On top of that, you couldn't burn a DVD on one battery charge either. So it makes more sense for Apple to just support external DVD-Rs with iDVD 2. After all, I bought a PowerBook G4/800, one of the most expensive computers Apple sells.

If they do go with 1ghz on the Powerbook, it will be before christmas and the holiday season. Just in time for lots of shopping. I wonder how hot it woud get though. The Superdirve in a Ti is wishfull thinking, you would have to make it thicker to accomadate that drive and that would ruin the appeal of the Ti.

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
that's would be ideal... it would take me that long to finish saving up for one anyway.

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
Originally posted by robguz
Wasn't this inevitable? it's a pretty minor speed bump from 800.

I don't think a 200MHz boost on the PowerBook is by any means a minor speed bump, after all, last time the TiBook was updated it was only climbed 133MHz (667->800) and that took over 6 months. A 200MHz jump (or 25% leap in MHz) in less than 6 months would be great! Even more promising, if this rumor contains even a kernel of truth, we can probably expect MWNY to bring PowerMacs ranging from 1.0 - 1.4GHz.

Bill

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by eyelikeart
he he he...this is cool...

but I'm still waiting till next year to replace mine ;)

I'm with you on this one....... Jan or Feb 03' is my update window........ :D

A new TiBook and a PowerMac........

Oustanding!!! :D

fuzzhack

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2002
NO NEW POWERBOOKS

I hope they don't release anything new for a while because I just bought a 800mhz model.

-patrick

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: NO NEW POWERBOOKS

Originally posted by fuzzhack
I hope they don't release anything new for a while because I just bought a 800mhz model.

-patrick

Nah.... they should release the 1Ghz TiBook tomorrow.... that way... by the time MWSF 03 comes trotting along.... they should be at 1.2Ghz...... :D and that's about the time I'll be buying...... ;)

cjerens

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2002
Why Radeon 7500 Still?

The link on the original post states that the new Powerbook G4 will also sport a Radeon 7500 with 32 MB more memory compared to the current one. What I'm wondering is why Apple would continue using the Radeon 7500? By late fall the 7500 will already be an "old" graphics chip. Why not go the route of PC laptops and use Geforce 4-to-go's or even a newer ATI portable graphics chip? Or might there be some reason Apple would have to stay with the Radeon 7500?

-Cameron

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
I want to order one :D

A GHz 'book. Think I have to order one. Shame I probably can't do it until later this fall...

BTW: Why does so many of you think 200 MHz is such a big jump??? It's called evolution, you know. I remember the days when 8 MHz was a big jump. Sooner or later machines will be speedbumped with more than 133 MHz...

My 20 øre (?2¢)

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME THAT WHEN A PRODUCT IS ANNOUNCED, IT HAS TO REPLACE THE OLD ONES?

(I don't want to give the impression I'm shouting, I just wanted to catch some attention)

Apple could release a 1GHz PowerBook, but it could sell for $3,599 or so.

This gives Apple the unique opportunity to offer discounts like Intel and AMD do. For example, when Intel releases a new P4, they don't throw out their older models and slash prices tremendously. Instead, they release it on top of their existing models at a higher price. When the demand lessens, they slowly discount the chip until the next processor is ready.

Apple could adopt this same pattern. Heck, after the towers are updated at MWNY, I wouldn't be surprised to see an update a month afterward.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
What's funny is that this 1GHz PowerBook will probably run cooler than the 400-667MHz rev As & especially Bs did. I hear the 800MHz TiBooks run a lot cooler than previous ones, so I don't know what all the people are talking about when they bring up egg frying.

Here's a pair of crossed fingers for a dual Apollo G4 TiBook! :)

cmoney

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by alex_ant
What's funny is that this 1GHz PowerBook will probably run cooler than the 400-667MHz rev As & especially Bs did. I hear the 800MHz TiBooks run a lot cooler than previous ones, so I don't know what all the people are talking about when they bring up egg frying.

Here's a pair of crossed fingers for a dual Apollo G4 TiBook! :)

Because I have an 800. Yes, it is MUCH cooler than the rev B 667. BUT, that's only when it's not running at full power. Start running some processor intensive applications like Virtual PC and man, this baby cooks. Now start taxing the Radeon 7500 chip in Quake III and burning a CD at the same time increases the overall heat also. The metal piece above the keyboard gets really hot too. Now imagine a faster processor (assuming same architecture as the 800) and a DVD burner and now you've got more heat.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Did anyone read the article? They're talking about a *graphics* card with 64 Megs of DDRAM - not bad and definitely something to go with Jaguar. If it comes out before 03, I'd be surprised,though.

aj1984

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2002
Old World
Dual 1 GHz PowerBook G4 sounds better...

When reading 1 GHz PowerBooks think twice!
Don't dual 1GHz machines sound much more reasonable?
So much for the rumors...

keep rockin'
AJ1984

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by rice_web
WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME THAT WHEN A PRODUCT IS ANNOUNCED, IT HAS TO REPLACE THE OLD ONES?

(I don't want to give the impression I'm shouting, I just wanted to catch some attention)

Apple could release a 1GHz PowerBook, but it could sell for $3,599 or so.

This gives Apple the unique opportunity to offer discounts like Intel and AMD do. For example, when Intel releases a new P4, they don't throw out their older models and slash prices tremendously. Instead, they release it on top of their existing models at a higher price. When the demand lessens, they slowly discount the chip until the next processor is ready.

Apple could adopt this same pattern. Heck, after the towers are updated at MWNY, I wouldn't be surprised to see an update a month afterward.

Makes sense to do this, but I don't believe they do enough volume on the powerbooks to justify it. Whereas Intel does tons of volume on the chips.
Many resellers then get stuck with having to decide to stock all three even though they may sell only 1 a week or so. If they did a lot more volume then I would agree they could do it that way.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I desperately hope that they do release a 1Ghz PB, I have now paid for my QuickSilver and am after the next rev. PB, but I still can’t see it at MWNY, hopefully it won’t be too long after though.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
welllllll.. do you guys think a new pb will be released at MWSF?

the current PB has been around for like almost two years... how long where the wallstreet PB's around?

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
i'm still saving up for a Powermac but like I've said to all my friends, once my iBook 500 has a replacement that's 2 times as fast, I'm getting it. hahahaha 1ghz powerbook G4!

Originally posted by DavPeanut
why would they put out new PowerBooks so soon

Becourse they took away the IR, but failed to put in the Bluetooth. The PB 800 has no wireless connection to mobilephones, PDA:s etc. This is the only reason why I didn´t by it.
To me it´s seems insane to release a PowerBook that can not go wireless with the rest of the world. They must have panicked when they understood that they couldn´t get the Bluetooth to work and had already taken away the IR. I´m sure we will soon see a new PowerBook, not necessarely with 1 GHz but with the Bluetooth and maybe with the superdrive. Remember how soon the Combo was introduced after the introduction of the 667 I think the "small" things like that makes more sence than an extra 200MHz. Already at 400 MHz I can edit DV with Cinestream.
If you can drive a Volvo smoothly, safe and with a sufficent speed to a nice place, why should you wish for a Formula 1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.