Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
I've been giving Enpass a try, but I keep getting the error message "Enpass Assistant is unable to connect with the Enpass app." I've checked all the settings. On the internet there are many people with the same problem. Upgrading to the newest whatever isn't an option for me.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Why is it that any thread about 1Password (the OP's issue was addressed long ago) always turns into long discussions about:
1) Alternatives to 1Password,
2) Hate for subscription apps, and
3) Fine details of 1Password security?
it's human nature :)

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
I've been giving Enpass a try, but I keep getting the error message "Enpass Assistant is unable to connect with the Enpass app." I've checked all the settings. On the internet there are many people with the same problem. Upgrading to the newest whatever isn't an option for me.
Why can't you run the latest version? Is the error on IOS or MacOS?

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Why is it that any thread about 1Password (the OP's issue was addressed long ago) always turns into long discussions about:
1) Alternatives to 1Password,
2) Hate for subscription apps, and
3) Fine details of 1Password security?
From the OP’s first post: “Would anyone care to make a list of possible password managers that keep my vault local?”

Thus, I provided him with what he asked for. (Ref: Post #19 in this thread.) So I take the blame/credit for Item 1).

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
Think I'll run 1Password6 until the (i)OS doesn't support it. That version allows local vaults and synching via iCloud, Dropbox etc. The app is solid and I'm trying to ride out this version until they re-introduce local vaults!!

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Think I'll run 1Password6 until the (i)OS doesn't support it. That version allows local vaults and synching via iCloud, Dropbox etc. The app is solid and I'm trying to ride out this version until they re-introduce local vaults!!
I believe the chances of 1Password ever offering a local vault option again are nil. Judging by what is written on their website, I think that 1Password feels their default option is extremely secure, convenient, and versatile. Thus, I strongly suspect that in their view, offering local vaults, syncing via iCloud, etc., would only complicate the program without adding any value.

Although I am a strong proponent of local vaults and local WiFi syncing, I think 1Password’s solution is very secure, and would feel comfortable using it. (Note: I have never used 1Password.)

johnb1968

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
1Password is deprecating its browser extension in July. I can't upgrade to version 8 because I am using an older OS. Nor do I like their subscription model. This means I must migrate my passwords to a different program.

I guess I don't need a browser extension. I could cut and paste the password into a site when I need to. Tedious, of course.
It isn't that I don't mind paying for a product. It's that I want to keep my password vault local and secure on my computer, not broadcast over the internet to the cloud or some company's server. I realize I have some work ahead of me, but to me the privacy is more important the convenience of a browser extension.

Would anyone care to make a list of possible password managers that keep my vault local?
There's KeepassX and KeepassXC, but I don't know anything about them or any alternatives.
I fired 1Password a while back (and switched to Enpass) when they went to a subscription-only model and were incredibly obtuse and sneaky about it. I have no issues with Enpass. It imported all my 1Password data and works well across all my devices.

Reactions: rmadsen3 and noraa

johnb1968

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
I wouldn't hold my breath. They won't switch back.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I’m in the same boat, with 7, but I think I’ll end up on bitwarden, seems the 1password team sold out their users for good, dont think we’re getting local vaults back

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I’m in the same boat, with 7, but I think I’ll end up on bitwarden, seems the 1password team sold out their users for good, dont think we’re getting local vaults back

I thought to try Bitwarden to see how local vaults work. It's a bit daunting, though it is within my field of competence. I think you have to do this... https://bitwarden.com/help/install-on-premise-linux/ (seems to apply to Mac). If you do get this all set up, make sure you do backups. (You could save the container to disk.)

I bet most everyone using Bitwarden are using their servers and not trying to use local vaults. If I felt strongly about using local vaults, I would probably choose a product where the vault is just a file on my disk.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I fired 1Password a while back (and switched to Enpass) when they went to a subscription-only model and were incredibly obtuse and sneaky about it. I have no issues with Enpass. It imported all my 1Password data and works well across all my devices.
I fell into this trap downloading 1P7 (had 6 on the mac, had paid 7 with iOS) from the mac App Store. There wasn't an indication it was Sub only and was simply portrayed as a 2 week trial. Sub and stand-alone did run concurrently for a while but I guess it used to be paid only if bought from the Dev directly. At that stage it was all too late to revert.

I ended up buying a life-long Strongbox license that included both OS's. The UI is no where near as simple and slick but seems to do fine after the initial transfer and sorting.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I've had 1Password 7 since December 2013. It was on sale for $9.99. My wife gave it to me as a stocking stuffer. I only use it to store passwords and whatnot. I'm not a power user. I've used the extension a few times, but mostly copy and paste my passwords. I'll use it as long as I can. Don't want 1P8. That $9.99 should be enough for life. There's always Apple Keychain.

Reactions: TheStork

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I thought to try Bitwarden to see how local vaults work. It's a bit daunting, though it is within my field of competence. I think you have to do this... https://bitwarden.com/help/install-on-premise-linux/ (seems to apply to Mac). If you do get this all set up, make sure you do backups. (You could save the container to disk.)

I bet most everyone using Bitwarden are using their servers and not trying to use local vaults. If I felt strongly about using local vaults, I would probably choose a product where the vault is just a file on my disk.
Yup, I’m planning on slapping it up into my AWS account. But, that said, my day job is infrastructure and automation, so it’s not exactly a lot of extra work on my part compared to my normal day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.