Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Am I the only one in the world who doesn't know what it's for. Yes, I know it's something about password and I've been to the site but never understand it completely especially how it'll benefit me.

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
Thankyou kyle for posting the 20% off and for representing an incredible product.

I love having 20+ highly secure, robust passwords available to me. Particularly to access my email and net bank, which I was always paranoid about. I think what I love most is the password generator that automatically saves passwords.

I will be purchasing a copy of 1password for my new mac laptop ( after i order the laptop of course ). The events at WWDC will dictate what model.

Again thanks, and congratulations!

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Love 1Password. How do I switch from being a direct-purchase owner to a Mac
app store owner? Will there be an issue with Gatekeeper if I don't switch?

The only way to switch is to purchase from the Mac App Store. So you'll need to purchase again. I just wanted to make that clear for anyone else out there just in case this wasn't clear.

Switching is pretty easy. Just delete the old copy, then purchase the Mac App Store version.

Be careful deleting. If you use any of those AppZapper like apps, do not allow it to remove your data file... Or any of the others that help clean up deleted apps.

Once you've installed the Mac App Store version it just needs to be started. It'll pick up your old data file and away you go.

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't know what it's for. Yes, I know it's something about password and I've been to the site but never understand it completely especially how it'll benefit me.

1Password stores Logins for websites, Account usernames and passwords (AIM, Skype, Routers, servers, etc), Identities (name, address, contact info), Secure Notes (plain text notes), Software Licenses, and banking, credit card information.

The idea is to encrypt and store everything securely and allow you access to all of the data with "1" password. This allows you to use very secure passwords for other websites. All of my passwords are as long and random as the sites will allow. To login to MacRumors here, I just visit the page, and press Command+\ to tell 1Password to fill my username and password. If it's locked, I just type in my "1" password and it does the rest for me.

I wonder if 1password 4 is announced at WWDC...

That would be news to me. But, Dave, Roustem and Dan have been on stage before. I believe they did a presentation of 1Password during a Safari developer keynote and demoed the extension. I thought it was 2010, but it was before my time with AgileBits.

Thanks for all of the kind words. As always, let me know if you have questions!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

The problem with passwords for internet websites and internet e-commerce websites is many people choose relatively insecure passwords, because they are easy to remember. Even worse they tend to use the same username and password for multiple websites (again to make it easy to remember). Unfortunately your password is only secure as the weakest link in the chain. If one of the websites that you are registered to is compromised ( LinkedIn is the most recent example) then not only are you vulnerable on that website, but any other website that you have the same ID and password.

The advantage of an App like 1Password is you can create complex passwords that are difficult to crack that are different for each website you have an account on. You can log in to 1Password with a reasonably secure password, and then use the App to auto fill your username and passwords directly onto website that you are trying to access. This is much more secure as to get into your 1password database the user would need to know your 1password password and have actual physical access to your 1password database. More information can be found here.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Love 1Password. Use it a ton.
@Kyle
As someone asked before though will the version bought from the website have any issues with gatekeeper in the next OS?

Last edited:

OsloBergen

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
If you buy the desktop version do you get the iPhone/iPad version or do you need to buy that as well?

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
If you buy the desktop version do you get the iPhone/iPad version or do you need to buy that as well?

they have an iphone app thats 'universal' but theres also an 'hd' version for ipad that you have to buy again. regardless, you don't get either apps for free if you buy the desktop version.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Love 1Password. Use it a ton.
@Kyle
As someone asked before though will the version bought from the website have any issues with gatekeeper in the next OS?

It works with GateKeeper already.

http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/04/19/1password-final-touch-osx-mountain-lion/

As of 3.8.19 the website version is signed and ready to go for GateKeeper.

All of our apps are standalone. So we do have to charge for them or we couldn't provide the updates and support we do. We have users that use all three apps and we have users that use just the iPhone or iPad app.

For anyone with both devices, I suggest 1Password Pro which is both the iPhone and iPad app together (universal).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-pro/id319898689?mt=8

----------

they have an iphone app thats 'universal' but theres also an 'hd' version for ipad that you have to buy again. regardless, you don't get either apps for free if you buy the desktop version.

We offer three options for iOS, lets make sure you get the right one for you.

1Password for iPhone (for iPhone only)
1Password for iPad (for iPad only)
1Password Pro (for both iPhone and iPad)

If you have only an iPad or an iPhone get the corresponding version. If you have both or plan to get both eventually we suggest 1Password Pro as it will be $5 cheaper than buying the two versions separately.

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
I love 1P, I use it on my iPhone, iPad, MBP and iMac.

I already use DropBox to sync it all together, I wonder with the new iCloud Announcement yesterday, if 1P will go iCloud for syncing?

Now, I just wish there was a better way to use it while at work on my Win PC. I'm not a fan of having to visit dropbox to access my 1P file so I can copy/paste the password. Some sort of standalone browser extension that doesn't require system admin would be perfect! :)

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I love 1P, I use it on my iPhone, iPad, MBP and iMac.

I already use DropBox to sync it all together, I wonder with the new iCloud Announcement yesterday, if 1P will go iCloud for syncing?

Now, I just wish there was a better way to use it while at work on my Win PC. I'm not a fan of having to visit dropbox to access my 1P file so I can copy/paste the password. Some sort of standalone browser extension that doesn't require system admin would be perfect! :)

Great to hear you're such a fan!

iCloud is something we'd like to look into. But as with all features we cannot promise anything until it ships. Things just change and major bugs can be found. We hate to promise a feature and then see it disappear because of something like that. It's a disappointment for all and definitely not fun.

We do offer a Windows app, and existing users can get a discount on it. For website purchasers:

http://www.agilebits.com/store/upgrade/

If you purchased from the Mac App Store and need a Windows license, submit your receipt to our support site (http://support.agilebits.com) and we'll get you fixed up with the details for how to purchase the Windows license at a discount.

That said, if you have no admin access to install, there isn't much we can do :(

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
One important difference (for some people) is that the Mac App Store version requires that if you use Dropbox the Dropbox folder location must be in your user's home folder. Anywhere else (such as Documents, or *shudder* the Desktop) will not work with the Mac App Store version.

This is due to the sandboxing requirements. It requires that we specify exact locations for the data file, and we allow it in two locations:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Where "~" is the users home folder.

This shouldn't affect very many people so it isn't a big deal. Using the default location for Dropbox should be what people use anyway.

Kyle
AgileBits Support

I assume it works with symbolic links as well to dropbox files?

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I assume it works with symbolic links as well to dropbox files?

Symbolic links should work, but do note that this isn't supported. Doing so means tricky troubleshooting. If you do have issues though and you're using a symbolic link, when you contact us please make sure you make a note of that. Otherwise we can spend some time running in circles if we don't know about the symbolic link.

I'd symbolic link to the default data file location. Not the default Dropbox location.

Thanks for reminding me about this, I should probably write up a hidden document for users that are comfortable with this with instructions. We don't run into this often, but for those that bring it up to us we can probably help them out more.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you everyone. What I got from this thread is the clearest explanation yet.

ring

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
1password is such an overpriced waste. Just use truecrypt and textedit to keep your passwords. And copy and paste.

Encrypt volume, put file with passwords in volume, use it to log in

Save the hundreds of dollars Agile Bits is trying to screw you out of, and use free and open source tools.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
AGKyle, your support site appears to be down at the moment, so perhaps you can answer my question. Can 1Password deal with sites that ask for certain parts of the password only, like enter the 2nd, 5th, and 8th characters? Those things are hard enough with a simple password, with an auto-generated 20 character long random string, it gets silly.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
1password is such an overpriced waste. Just use truecrypt and textedit to keep your passwords. And copy and paste.

Encrypt volume, put file with passwords in volume, use it to log in

Save the hundreds of dollars Agile Bits is trying to screw you out of, and use free and open source tools.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I think the simple explanation is that time is money and people with lots of passwords find value in not having to manually record and find a password for every login. 1Password does this for you and in the long run likely would save significant time over your manual method.

It's also a matter of personal preference and a real reason why we're free to use what works best for us. What works for you may not work for other people. That's why there are so many options for storing and saving passwords.

I would ask that you try to respect other people's opinions and decisions.

AGKyle, your support site appears to be down at the moment, so perhaps you can answer my question. Can 1Password deal with sites that ask for certain parts of the password only, like enter the 2nd, 5th, and 8th characters? Those things are hard enough with a simple password, with an auto-generated 20 character long random string, it gets silly.

We are not able to deal with those types of logins. At least not automatically.

These seem to be common outside of the US. So I haven't run into them personally. But a few suggestions for how to handle it.

1) Reduce the length of the password so that it is easier.

2) In the notes section of the application, enter something like this

1=a
2=3
3=Z
etc

This will allow you to easily see which letter is which.

If this becomes more common we may be able to work up a way to get this fixed. I'd suggest emailing the site and asking them for an alternative method to login though. This seems like a lot of hassle for little gain. Anyone that actually has your password can simply count. Or at least, I'd hope they could count.

3) Use a password you can easily type.

No one says you have to use a 20 character long generated password. We realize that in a lot of cases users need to be able to type in their password or it needs to be memorable enough to do so. In this case there's no harm in deviating from that idea. Just don't re-use the same password and you'll be better off for it.

I hope this helps. And i'm really sorry about our support site being down. We use TenderApp.com and they've been having some real trouble the past 4 days or so. We're just as unhappy as our users are about this.

Alternatively you can also email our support system.

support (at) agilebits.com

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Asking for just parts of a password is becoming increasingly common, especially with banks, who insist on incredibly frustrating levels of security, like a calculator-sized card reader they send you in the post which you have to stick your card in, enter your pin, then enter the displayed code in the website to do the simplest account maintenance tasks. Asking them to make it less secure is, in their eyes, asking for a massive payout when they don't block a hacker, so it's never going to happen. And just as with chip-and-pin machines which have been common in Europe for a decade or more, these irritating logins will make their way across the pond. And as soon as somebody finds a way round that, they'll make it harder still. Just stuck a needle in my finger and read my DNA already!

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Is that gentleman from the 1password company?

^^
If you're referring to AGKyle, yes he is, as he mentioned in his first post (#13).

EDIT: BTW Kyle, thanks for your presence here, as well as your comprehensive answers. I really appreciate it when vendors interact directly with users here on MR. I wish more did.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Another 1up for 1Password.

I got it half off late last year in December I think.
It was actually free for me since my bro got me a $30 itunes card as an early Christmas gift. :D

The only thing I wish it did was do software passwords, but that was already mentioned earlier.

I could just have a .txt file with all my passwords(what I actually did before) but I feel that is way too insecure.
If my laptop were to get stolen or if a friend/family member were snooping around it when I wasn't looking, I would get royally screwed.
I don't have to worry about that with 1Password since it uses a master password to access them all.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Is that gentleman from the 1password company?

^^

Yup.

If you're referring to AGKyle, yes he is, as he mentioned in his first post (#13).

EDIT: BTW Kyle, thanks for your presence here, as well as your comprehensive answers. I really appreciate it when vendors interact directly with users here on MR. I wish more did.

You're welcome. I will try to keep an eye on things here more often. I just stumbled on this thread while looking at Mac Pro rumors.. *grumble grumble grumble* Figured I could pop in and answer what I can for you all. Really is my pleasure. :)

ring

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
Another 1up for 1Password.

I got it half off late last year in December I think.
It was actually free for me since my bro got me a $30 itunes card as an early Christmas gift. :D

The only thing I wish it did was do software passwords, but that was already mentioned earlier.

I could just have a .txt file with all my passwords(what I actually did before) but I feel that is way too insecure.
If my laptop were to get stolen or if a friend/family member were snooping around it when I wasn't looking, I would get royally screwed.
I don't have to worry about that with 1Password since it uses a master password to access them all.

Use truecrypt in that case.

Also divide your password, keep half memorized that you use for every site. and change the first part. write the first part in a text file inside a truecrypt volume

And bam. You just saved at least $120 on password managers

Or just use lastpass and bay $12 per year, or $1 month

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Use truecrypt in that case.

Also divide your password, keep half memorized that you use for every site. and change the first part. write the first part in a text file inside a truecrypt volume

And bam. You just saved at least $120 on password managers

Or just use lastpass and bay $12 per year, or $1 month

Where are you getting 120$? It is 49.99. Or wait for them to have a promotion and get it cheaper or even free (They had a if you own it you could give it away for free to friends and family deal a couple years ago).

But for the price you get functionality. I don't want to use a text pad every time when going to do bills. With 1Password I can just use their safari extionsion and click on the bill to pay and it will go to the site and have it put in my login info. Helps get it done faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.