Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Hello,

I'm about to splurge for a 24" iMac, and while I can see the great benefit of upgrading the GPU, RAM and HD, I'm wavering on the CPU.

As far as I can see, in terms of system performance, the speed bump might be, what, 3%? And all for well over 10% of the total price of the system. But I've seen so many people on Mac forums ordering the upgrade - and I'd like to know why. I can see the temptation of bragging rights, but is there anything else? Anything I'd actually notice in day to day use?

Thanks,

David

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
I think $250 is way too much for such a small difference, for that price I'd preffer wireless keyboard/mouse or something else...

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
CrEsTo said:
I think $250 is way too much for such a small difference, for that price I'd preffer wireless keyboard/mouse or something else...
I agree with this.

The only reason at all that it might be worth it, would perhaps be resale value down the line.. any of the higher BTO machines inevitably make more money back.. BUT you're also spending $250 more to begin with.

Overall, I doubt it'd be worth it - spend that money on upgrades elsewhere.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
It is only an extra 170MHz and the price simply does not justify it. I suppose it is a premium for those who want to say they have the BEST available, but that will end in a few months or so, as ever.

Instead I put the money towards the 7600GT and 2Gb of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.