1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

2.4 upgrade wipes out prior content?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tobarefeet, Jul 16, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I have atv 2.3 and used atvflash to hack my atv. I have 30-40 tv shows in avi that I have downloaded, plus a few hours of music. If I upgrade to 2.4 I'm assuming I will lose all my content, is that correct? I dont understand why an upgrade would cause that. The ability to have pandora and some of the other programs is almost enough to make me upgrade and lose my content. I will say I have had issues with Boxxee, looks like a great program on my atv, but it hiccups a lot. Also, my itunes has not recognized my ATV in months.... so maybe an upgrade will fix that.
    I just wanted to make sure that I would in fact loss my stored content?

2. macrumors member

once you upgrade, just reinstall the patchstick like you did originally and it will all reappear :D
    also, the new boxee update works much better than before

3. macrumors newbie

Should I upgrade to 2.4 and then use the patchstick I used previously for 2.3, and then after that get the upgraded patchstick for 2.4 and use that to finish the process? Will that preserve the shows I have already on the atv?
    thanks for any assistance.

4. macrumors member

just upgrade then reapply the patchstick, thats what I did and my files stayed there and reappeared once I reapplied :cool: