Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Minnesota
One of my friends is getting an iPod, I want to know if we could have two individual iTunes libraries for each of our iPods on the same computer. For example have one iTunes library named iPod 1, and the other iTunes library named iPod 2. Is there anyway to do this?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: 2 iPod, 2iTunes, library questions.

Originally posted by dave1234
One of my friends is getting an iPod, I want to know if we could have two individual iTunes libraries for each of our iPods on the same computer. For example have one iTunes library named iPod 1, and the other iTunes library named iPod 2. Is there anyway to do this?

Make two different users. That'll sort that for you.

Wotan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2003
Boston MA
2 iTunes

Originally posted by Wes
Make two different users. That'll sort that for you.

If I have 2 Users does this mean that the second user can't hear the first user music? The iTunes are totaly different for each of them?... If this is true, then how does the second user will hear music on the computer, does he has to copy "again" all the songs?

Wotan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2003
Boston MA
2 users on one computer

Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
just have to point to the same folder on the hard drive

Is there a way to protect that folder to the second user?, a way that the second user will not "steal" my music.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
Only allow them "read only" access to the files.. that should work

- Doc

"read only" still allows duplication. just not modification or execution.

basically, tho there may be some workarounds that can get complicated, there's no easy way to do what you're asking. keeping two libraries separate but together isn't an easy task.

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.