Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
quigleybc said:
Can I plug in my Ipod 3rd Gen via firewire, and my nano via USB at the same time, and use/fill them independantly and charge them at the same time?

You should be able to charge them at the same time, but you probably can't sync them at the same time. iTunes will. however, let you have both devices attributed to your library though, which is nice.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Yes you can do this. I have a 40GB iPod on firewire and a nano on USB right now; they are both charging and are sync'd up to date. Of course at any precise second, iTunes can only be updating one or other of them, but they can both be updated one after the other just fine.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Loge said:
Yes you can do this. I have a 40GB iPod on firewire and a nano on USB right now; they are both charging and are sync'd up to date. Of course at any precise second, iTunes can only be updating one or other of them, but they can both be updated one after the other just fine.

Nice

That's what I was hoping to hear

I'm still nervous to try this, but I' going to try any way.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
sept205.jpg

:)

image.php

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
grapes911 said:
Why are you nervous? Do you think your computer is going to blow up or something? ;)

You never know, if it were a Dell DJ, and an iPod, that could be a unique issue!

The iPod could retailiate sending a power feedback pulse through the IO channels to the Dell. The pulse would then cause permanent damage to the USB bus, and the Dell DJ. Didn't Steve Jobs warn of this during one of his keynotes? :eek: :D

image.php

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
It's fine.

I have my shuffle and my 3G in together all the time ... I didn't even think there would be some compatibility issues ... maybe on windows though ... :eek:

:D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ive had my mini and shuffle connected at the same time, no problems i wouldnt worry about it

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
a bit off topic but...

a bit off topic but...

what would happen with one of those split cables with one dock connector and 2 cords coming out to USB and Firewire, with both cables plugged in to one or two computers and an ipod? i think something would blow up and i love my powerbook and ipod so....

one of you should do it, then find a working computer to reply to me with!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.