Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twotone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Hi folks,

I have a 2007 (maybe 2008!) Macbook 13", it was my late sisters and isn't in amazing condition. I've used it over the years for testing older hardware e.g. film scanners (which aren't compatible with newer macs), running it direct off it's power supply as it doesn't have a battery fitted (original died, replacement was faulty and never got another one).

Long story short, I've had it tucked away in a cupboard for the best part of 10 years and I've not used it. I've gone to fire it up and it makes the little CD drive blip noise and some quiet fans come on (maybe the HDD?) but nothing else, no lights on buttons, nothing on the display either, just the little light on the front right of the mac's edge which slowly glows.

I've followed instructions for resetting the VRAM & SMC (at least I think I've done it properly, during the VRAM reset the little light was flashing on the front of the mac). Is there anything else I should try/check? I have also tried removing individual sticks of ram, neither made a difference. I finally tried pressing the power button for 5 seconds (without the power cable) and then plugging the power cable in, the fans came on full blast but nothing else.

It's obviously not worth anything but I'd like to have something to test hardware with so if it doesn't work I'll pick up another online.

Thank you!

Last edited:

twotone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Perhaps this is your problem…
Thanks - I came across this last night but some of the comments I saw around some versions not having a replaceable battery made me question if it was worth trying. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and see!

Thanks for the suggestion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.