Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paronga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
So i finally got my 2008 dual 2.8 quad core.
i love it.
so much better than my 15'' 2006 mac book pro!!!

So here is the deal.
I'm currently running a 23'' ACD.
But i miss my webcam/speakers/mic that was build in to my laptop.
So i'll be looking to upgrade to a 24'' LED cinema display.

But the GFX card only supports DVI displays.
it's the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT.

So for my to upgrade to the 24'' first i need to upgrade the card.

SO please, lend my your knowledge.

I know i ca get cards from apple, there is the 120gtx i think, and the 5570 and 5580 (trying to remember by heart, sorry if they're wrong).
But i can also get other cards, correct?

So, i'll say what work i want to use this for, and we'll see what card get's recommended.

First, i haven't had a good computer for about 3 years, so if i'm going to get a graphics card, i'd like it to be capable of playing some games. Diablo 3 i'm looking at pretty hard. I don't need to be a beast, but i don't want to be disappointed. I don't mind if can't do ULTRA settings, but it want it to run.

second, i do heavy photo/video work. Now that i've got a new computer i'll be able to do much more exciting things without the slowdowns.

third, i'm a simulation physicist. i use MATLAB, mathematic, python and C for my simulations. I would like a card that supports either CUDA or OpenCL
i know CUDA is an nvidia thing, so i don't mind ATI as long as i get openCL/Grand Central Dispatch.

I also want full support. I don't want a lack of boot screen, or dvd player not working.

So yeh. Also budget.
don't want to spend $500 on this, something more like $200-$350.
I see i can get some from the apple store, but if i can get a better card from e-bay or my local computer shop that will work, i would be happy!

Thanks guys
i look forward to talking graphics cards with you!

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

End time: 20 Nov 2011 09:13:19 GMT

iPhone URL:
Mac Nvidia GTX285 GTX 285 Mac Pro Video Card 2 Gig for DaVinci Resolve & Smoke

Browser URL:
Mac Nvidia GTX285 GTX 285 Mac Pro Video Card 2 Gig for DaVinci Resolve & Smoke

This card is awesome. I have it for video work. Cuda 2gb..

Bit above your price... But there is a 1gb version ... Also add an ssd I have the same machine and it flys!

Apparently almost the fastest card you can get Barr the 4000 quadro.

paronga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
okay. so where do I buy this card from?

do I need the apple one, or do I flash it?

I see that you've still got a 8800gt in your mac. what's the benefit of having two cards?

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
In osx? Jack unless you need to run more than 2 screens, in win7 I have the 8800gt set up to do physix. Where do you get it? I'd say eBay these days, evga in the us had a bunch if them for real cheap, but they've gone..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.