Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zrr0000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
I'm getting rid of cable and going to watch everything through the internet. My 2008 Mac Pro is right next to my TV but I already have two 24 inch monitors connected and I want to keep them. So I need to get another graphics card which I know nothing about. Any suggestions on which one I should get and where I could get it?

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Your going to use you Mac pro as a htpc?
Are you for real? Only just the power bill would make is project un-doable.

Do yourself a favor and grab a old Mac mini. They are great as htpcs.

Good luck.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Any graphics card that will fit.

But really. This sounds like a bad plan. The poster above is right. A second machine of an AppleTV would be a much better choice.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
What service are you going to use on the Internet? Simply getting a Roku box for $60 is the way to go if you are going to use any of the services it supports.
http://www.roku.com/

If you are really into iTunes, then an AppleTV will serve your needs much better for about the same price as a video card.

But, if you insist on a new video card for the purpose, it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing more. For example, do you want HDMI output to your TV? Do you want it to replace your existing card and support three output devices, or are you going to add it to your existing card? Also, many TVs are really problematic connecting to Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.