Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayfire124

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Help Help Help :eek:!!!! I have a 2010 MBA 11" 128Gb 4Gb RAM running Lion. About 1 month ago whilst attempting to upload a video to youtube (which was going to take 3 hours) about half way through I came back into the room to find my display had a grey screen and the whole laptop was boiling to touch. I switched it off manually and then switched it back on immediately and it started up no problem.

I attempted to upload the video 10 minutes later but again the same thing happened after about 10 minutes. Again the laptop was hot especially the base. I therefore left the upload and performed it on my imac with no problem.

I use the MBA only very occasionally, mostly for surfing the web, Lightroom, Photoshop and iphoto without any overheating and grey screen issues. Anyway the same thing happened again yesterday so I immediately trawled the forums for any help and others experiences.

From what I have read so far I have not really seen a remedy for this. I am using Chrome, something which has been mentioned however others, who have had overheating issues, have had issues when using Safari or Firefox so I have eliminated that one. I am also using Lion rather than Mountain Lion so that one is eliminated. I have read about resetting the SMS and PRAM however I have not tried that yet.

I guess I am really asking others who have experienced this problem or know of it, if there is an ultimate remedy, or if it a motherboard, fan replacement issue. It is out of warranty and I don't want to go down the road of taking it to the local Apple Reseller to be charged stupid money for them to have a look at it.

Any ideas much appreciated, thanks:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.