Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxmarkc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
A few days ago I started a thread on the iMac board because I was having a lot of trouble deciding between an iMac or a mini. The conclusion, for me, of that thread was that bang for buck an iMac is a much better deal: quad core, desktop not laptop components, screen, keyboard and mouse. The mini should only be considered if you need the small form factor, or the very low wattage.

The conclusion is somewhat troubling since the iMac has one big disadvantage: the all in one design means that if one part fails it all fails.

Question 1: The same dilemma might get a different response on the mini board. Any mini fans disagree with my conclusion?

I am not in a great hurry so was probably going to hang around for a 2012 refreshes.

Or course I could always solve the dilemma by buying both! The mini with its low power signature would make a nice always on fileserver and always on itunes server and I could even access from outside of home once dynamic ip address issues are sorted out.

I am starting to form a view that a used 2010 mini would be a good buy and have started to watch ebay for a few days to get an idea of availability and prices - but not enough traffic yet to be sure. A 2010 server with Apple Care for another 18 months did go at the weekend for £450. That is around 50% of the cost of a 2011 model.

Two questions:

a) As a percentage of the cost of a better spec 2011 model what is an upper limit people would pay for a 2010 model. For me 50% sounds about right. But Apple used prices seem to hold up well, and maybe 50% is lower than average?

b) Since 2010 models are now out of warranty should you only buy if the balance of a 3y Apple Care is on offer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.