Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jothebeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hey, I've been trying lately to find one of these at my local Best Buys, but they're all out of stock. Has anyone else encountered this issue? (I'm going to use the 18 months financing there, so thats why I'm looking exclusively at Best Buy) Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

funkeruski

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Best Buys in my area are out too. Might try Amazon. Looks like they have them, and I think you can get no interest financing for a year.

Edit: Sorry, looks like Amazon is shipping in one to two weeks.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Just wait for them to come back in stock...many retailers are having a hard time keeping them in stock.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Bestbuy.com shows the 13/128 as sold out but 13/256 as available. Maybe buy online? Looks like price is $100 off retail.

olemrboston

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
WI
I went to best buy on the last day of the apple school deal and try were all out. Even the distribution center for the area was out of stock. The gal had told me because it was the end of the quarter.

Maybe beat buy purchases apple products in a lump sum and when there out there out...?

Needless to say off to apple.com for my purchase. My new MBA should be here Tuesday I hope!

jothebeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I would go to Apple, but I dont want to sign up for their credit card to receive the financing.

(side-note: If someone wants to say, "lf you wont pay cash, you cant afford it", dont. I don't want to take a $1300 hit all in one. Would rather pay $75-$100 for 18 months.)

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Best Buy is out of stock in my area too (several stores). They've been selling them cheaper than Apple. I wonder if Apple is restricting the stock flow on purpose.

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
i went to my local BB today and they said they were on "sale". Not sure if that is always there but i just noticed it today.

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
I'm relieved to know that it's not just the Best Buys in my area that this particular MacBook Air (13.3" 128 flash drive, 4GB RAM) is out of stock. Any idea when Best Buy will receive more?

jkirch01

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
abandon all hope...
I placed my order on 8/5 for the 13.3" 128Gb ...and have not heard a peep from Best Buy as to when it might actually ship. The only reason I haven't given up and gone to Apple is that I purchased during a tax-free weekend.

When will I learn? :(

guicane

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
London, UK
Went to two Best Buys in Los Angeles last week looking for a 13"/128 and they were discounted and therefore all sold out in the two stores I went to.

Ended up finding the MacMall in Torrance with the same discounts and in stock! Win! :)

Shadow Moses

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
abandon all hope...
I placed my order on 8/5 for the 13.3" 128Gb ...and have not heard a peep from Best Buy as to when it might actually ship. The only reason I haven't given up and gone to Apple is that I purchased during a tax-free weekend.

When will I learn? :(

When you originally placed your order did they give you an estimate on when it would ship? Like "usually ships in 7 business days"?

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
You can save a lot of money buying online. Go to the Apple Insider web site and check out their price list. Usually MacMall is the cheapest. They have financing but I don't know how it compares to Best Buy.

Hey, I've been trying lately to find one of these at my local Best Buys, but they're all out of stock. Has anyone else encountered this issue? (I'm going to use the 18 months financing there, so thats why I'm looking exclusively at Best Buy) Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

jkirch01

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
When you originally placed your order did they give you an estimate on when it would ship? Like "usually ships in 7 business days"?

Yes. Estimate was 3-5 days. Then, they stopped accepting orders online. A couple of days later, I got an email saying it was back-ordered (1-2 week estimate).
Four weeks after placing the order, got an email that my order would be cancelled unless I extended my order (which I did). Now that it is almost a month after THAT, it looks like Best Buy will just cancel my order.

I have written emails and have not even gotten a response (other than the automated response that my email was received)! Calling has also proved to be a waste of time.

I know that Apple is ultimately responsible for providing the inventory, but I am thoroughly disgusted with the Best Buy customer service. :mad:

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If you can wait a week or two I'd recommend checking the MacConnection site daily to see if it's in stock. I did a chat with one of their reps on 9/10 and they were estimating 3 weeks until back in stock. Four days later it was back in stock and I ordered it for $1249 less 3% coupon code, free ground shipping and no tax. It shipped out the next day.

Edit: I should've read the OP. Guess Best Buy is their only option. Only thing you can do is have them see if surrounding stores have any. When I was at my local BB about 3 weeks ago they didn't have any 13" base models but they said some of the surrounding stores did.

Last edited:

cragmr

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
OP, why not just go into Apple?

Because Best Buy is selling them for 5% less.

My local BB hasn't had any in stock for weeks now. I've been looking too, but think I might just head to the local Apple store and pay more (was going to end up paying about $950 after all my reward zone coupons/gift cards, but I guess I can use those for other things).

Shadow Moses

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
FYI...

Best Buy should have some now or should have some soon in stock.

I went to my local BB today and was speaking to one of the employees. I asked if they had any and he said no and there was a nationwide shortage, but that they'd be running a circular soon saying they will have stock, which means they would HAVE to have some in stock. He told me that he expected them sometime this Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

I had then asked him what was my best bet in tracking one down (like should I call a few times a day)? At that point he pulled out his cell phone, asked for my contact info, and said he would give me a call when they got some in.

About 30 minutes later I got a call from him saying that they actually got shipment way sooner than he thought, and that he'd throw one on hold for me. This employee was not a "regular" BB employee (he had a black shirt as opposed to the typical blue shirts) and he stated he was actually employed by Apple and not Best Buy. Very nice guy.

For the record, I'm from Northern California. I got the 13"/128 gb. They also had the 13"/256, but I didn't want it.

cragmr

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Wondering if I should just keep calling my BBs then. The Geek Squad employee I talked to yesterday was completely clueless though, and on top of that made me wait nearly 20 minuets while he checked the back room for stock :rolleyes:

jkirch01

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011

You guys are awesome! I checked my local stores using this link and they were actually in stock. I called up and had my order switched to in-store pickup. On my way to get it now. After 7 weeks, it looks like my wait is over! (of course, I don't actually have it yet ;) )

Thanks Shadow Moses and jothebeast

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I think there something more going on here. Normally when a store is out or running low, you can always check the stock online. It says something strange for ALL Mac Mini's and Macbook Air... "Coming Soon" under store pickup. Has me thinking... why don't they want you to be able to check, order online for store pickup?

Could the discount price online be it? Since you can't order online and get store pickup, do you have to pay full retail at the store? It's strange you can't do a store pickup for ANY and ALL MacBook Airs OR MacMinis.....

Thanks.

Last edited:

jothebeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
The answer to this is no. I bought mine at Best Buy on Friday for the sale price. Best Buy did the same thing for the iPad 2. They want you coming into their store to check, and then maybe buying something else/additional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.