Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Dear Howard, thrills to read your post as I am aiming to upgrage my Imac 12,2 with a WX4130 to target Monterey update. If Sonoma is reacheable, even better. I have however 2 questions before moving forward
1) From the different vBios, which one would you recommend to use between GOP/EG (or EG2)?

I only used GOP. Not as familiar with EG/EG2 so didn't do those (for now I just know its more advanced haha)

I have 2x 12,2 running OCLP Sonoma with WX4130 as daily driver. Wife's one gets a hang every couple of days and mine has no problem.

2) I assume that you have upgraded you WIFI/BT to allow Sonoma to work?

Using original bt/wifi. You don't get newer BT iphone/watch interoperability features (cut+paste with iphone don't work for example) but wifi works (and I think also iphone call forwarding to iMac works)

I have currently high sierra with my original 6970M. Interested into extended the life of that wonderful machine. Not interested into having windows though.
thank you.

You are definitely good candidate :)

My experience + guide in the signature link.

Last edited:

overshoot

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2018
For all those wondering about the NVIDIA GTX660M. It is in its final stages of testing! Not a powerful card, but another member of the family nonetheless that can be purchased for cheap. Vbios coming up:

View attachment 1922604
View attachment 1922605
Hello everyone,

Any chance to get a VBios for this card?
My screen is cooking as well as my iMac.
I wish we can at least get brightness management for this card.
It's a great little card.
Thanks!

Jarafe

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
Hello everyone!

First of all thank you all!

Total Noob here, so please "do be gentle"

I'm in the (attempt) of updating my 11.3 Imac 27" 2,93Ghz, 20Gb ram, 4Tb HDD machine.
IMG_4900.jpeg

The general plan is change stock graphics cad with AMD S7100x, place a thermal sensor on the 4Tb HDD , place a second drive (ssd 2Tb) and finally BT update to BCM94360CD.

After reading this thread as much as possible to make my plan I've got to:

First point assembly and disassembly of the iMac:
Parts needed: Torx set and suction cups ->Check
for practice I bought an early 2009 24" 2.66Ghz for parts for 30€ and open him up swapped the hdd, dusted him up and he is running Monterey atm :)
IMG_4046.jpeg

To follow the plan I will start by placing sensor and swap the graphics card:
Parts needed: new graphics card, AMD FIREPRO S7100X - Check
3pipe heat sink for 27" iMac 2011 - Check
Hdd thermal sensor - Check
X-bracket - Check
CH341A programer - Check
Isopropyl 99% alcohol - Check
Artic Mx-4 thermal paste - coming
AECDE9AA-1B7D-448C-9BA0-B532F62B05DD.jpg 980420BF-10BA-451C-9031-45F19B84C566.jpg

So that the heat sink can perfectly fit in the graphics card mod needed so it's done
IMG_4880.jpeg IMG_4908.jpeg
last image "dry" fitment test
IMG_4946.jpeg
1B100882-8936-4185-8475-901CA887DDF9.jpeg
Since many had problems using GRML to flash this card gone straight to using CH341A

To be continued...

Last edited:

averyan

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
Hi all! On my iMac 27 2011 EMS 2429 the 6970 2G video card is tired. When turned on, at first there were three vertical green bars and the loading ended with a white screen! I decided to replace whichever one you recommend is optimal for this iMac. I would like to upgrade to the maximum and have everything work properly. For a while I wanted to upload a video from a small iMac 21.5 2011 AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512. It turns out that only MXM-A is available for the 27-inch model? Thanks for the answer!!! I am sorry for my English))

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi all! On my iMac 27 2011 EMS 2429 the 6970 2G video card is tired. When turned on, at first there were three vertical green bars and the loading ended with a white screen! I decided to replace whichever one you recommend is optimal for this iMac. I would like to upgrade to the maximum and have everything work properly. For a while I wanted to upload a video from a small iMac 21.5 2011 AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512. It turns out that only MXM-A is available for the 27-inch model? Thanks for the answer!!! I am sorry for my English))

Let's first provide you some information.

1. Read the first post of this thread until you got an idea.
2. Or specifically for iMac 12,x. @howardc64 rearranged the info by iMac model (link below)

I would recommend Quadro M5000m or Quadro P3000 for spending money and use High Sierra + Windows 10.
I myself plan to use Quadro M4000m (just because it's affordable to me)
But it's just me.

Jarafe

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
Just to be sure i’ve got to ask:

In the gpu marked orange mx-4 thermal paste
In the ram marked green and on those tal components marked yellow K5 Pro thermal paste
IMG_4961.jpeg
Is this correct?

On another note, just a picture of the fit test of the clamp to flash the bios
IMG_4963.jpeg

Thank you!

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Just to be sure i’ve got to ask:

In the gpu marked orange mx-4 thermal paste
In the ram marked green and on those tal components marked yellow K5 Pro thermal paste
View attachment 2360074
Is this correct?

Correct Orange = MX-4 Yellow = K5 Pro

On another note, just a picture of the fit test of the clamp to flash the bios
View attachment 2360075

Thank you!

Hard to see but I think red line is on pin1 from s7100x pics on ebay. Which is correct.

2 things on the ch341a flashing
  • Check if 5v or 3.3v (most EEPROM are 3.3v and most of these cheap ch341a is 5v and probably good to do 3.3v mods)
  • Just for safety, I always look up EEPROM datasheet for voltage + size. First read it to save rom file and to get file size to compare with write file size before writing. Haven't had to deal with different file sizes yet.
My ch341a effort detailed here

Last edited:
Reactions: Jarafe

Jarafe

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
Correct Orange = MX-4 Yellow = K5 Pro

Hard to see but I think red line is on pin1 from s7100x pics on ebay. Which is correct.

2 things on the ch341a flashing
  • Check if 5v or 3.3v (most EEPROM are 3.3v and most of these cheap ch341a is 5v and probably good to do 3.3v mods)
  • Just for safety, I always look up EEPROM datasheet for voltage + size. First read it to save rom file and to get file size to compare with write file size before writing. Haven't had to deal with different file sizes yet.
My ch341a effort detailed here

Thank you!
Will stick to k5pro for both (less something to buy)

My ch341a black edition can’t recognise the 25Q41bt :confused: still trying to find a solution in this respect

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Thank you!
Will stick to k5pro for both (less something to buy)

Have to buy both. MX-4 for GPU chip (orange). K5 pro for VRAM and inductors (yellow) They are different and contact different surfaces (GPU die = silicon chip die) VRAM (plastic package)

My ch341a black edition can’t recognise the 25Q41bt :confused: still trying to find a solution in this respect

25Q41BT datasheet link. Its 3.3v IO. Follow my thread in post #21707 to check if your ch341a is 5v or 3.3v. I hope no damage if ch341a is 5v.

Jarafe

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
Have to buy both. MX-4 for GPU chip (orange). K5 pro for VRAM and inductors (yellow) They are different and contact different surfaces (GPU die = silicon chip die) VRAM (plastic package)

25Q41BT datasheet link. Its 3.3v IO. Follow my thread in post #21707 to check if your ch341a is 5v or 3.3v. I hope no damage if ch341a is 5v.
Thank you again (for the clarification) for the thermal paste question

Regarding the flash will follow your post and will reply with developments (Thank you)

Macman iPowermacbookprair

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2016
Has anyone tried a red HP WX 4170 like the one below in an iMac yet? It's already got the bios chip installed, which should make it work, but then the 4170 is very similar to the 4130 and 4150, of which only the green Dell ones work properly in the 27" mid 2011 iMac we've got.

s-l1600.jpg

Jarafe

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024

Thank for all the help, getting a little frustrated here but will not gave up.

My programmer can’t read or write to the chip (not on supported list last version, old version yes but not functioning)

Thermal paste on it’s way.

Will post next steps

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Thank for all the help, getting a little frustrated here but will not gave up.

My programmer can’t read or write to the chip (not on supported list last version, old version yes but not functioning)

Thermal paste on it’s way.

Will post next steps

Have you checked your CH341A for 5v or 3.3v per my post with linked directions? According to this video, you likely have the 5V version from your picture in post #21703

google "25Q41BT CH341A" seems to suggest it works from post #51 in this thread.

Jarafe

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
Have you checked your CH341A for 5v or 3.3v per my post with linked directions? According to this video, you likely have the 5V version from your picture in post #21703

google "25Q41BT CH341A" seems to suggest it works from post #51 in this thread.
Yes, I’ve followed your indications and it’s confirmed i have to mod the ch341a to operate in 3,3v. Tomorrow (hoppe) will be assisted in doing that mod.

mikejrslac

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
I am trying to flash an unpatched K1100m card for my imac 27" mid2011. I have this problem; when I connect a USB thumb drive the ethernet connection from the imac drops. This does not happen when I connect a USB keyboard. The USB ports are powered; resetting the PRAM did not help. When I connect the displayless imac with the ethernet cable alone the connection is stable. Any ideas?

Just to rephrase:
I have swapped in an unflashed K1100m card in my imac mid2011 27inch. I want to flash vbios with the ssh method using a usb thumb drive. This imac is assigned an ethernet address before I insert the usb drive (the internal hard drive is disconnected). When I insert the usb drive the ethernet connection disappears. This does not happen with a blank usb drive or connecting a usb keyboard. This is a problem as I want to flash my gpu before reconnecting the imac lcd display.

Last edited:

VitorSouza

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
Hello

I have an Imac 11.1

I bought a K3100m with updated BIOS for Mac.

It turns on and the boot sounds but it doesn't recognize the monitor.

I tried to enter the recovery screen but without success.

Do I need to connect a monitor via MDP?

Or is there some other process to be done?

I posted two videos, where the original GPU lights up 4 LEDs and the screen stays white and with the Nvidia K3100m GPU, 3 LEDs light up and the screen doesn't turn on

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Hello

I have an Imac 11.1

I bought a K3100m with updated BIOS for Mac.

It turns on and the boot sounds but it doesn't recognize the monitor.

I tried to enter the recovery screen but without success.

Do I need to connect a monitor via MDP?

Or is there some other process to be done?

View attachment 2362090

View attachment 2362091

I posted two videos, where the original GPU lights up 4 LEDs and the screen stays white and with the Nvidia K3100m GPU, 3 LEDs light up and the screen doesn't turn on

1. Check if you have an SSD installed to the SATA port, and a running Mac OS High Sierra.
2. Do a PRAM reset.
3. Press and hold Option (Alt) on the USB keyboard shortly after you press the power button...

VitorSouza

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
1. Check if you have an SSD installed to the SATA port, and a running Mac OS High Sierra.
2. Do a PRAM reset.
3. Press and hold Option (Alt) on the USB keyboard shortly after you press the power button...
Hi friend, thanks in advance.

It is with the Original HD, I intended for SSD after installing the GPU.
I can't say exactly which IOS it is on, I believe it is on High Sierra.

What is PRAM?
I've tried accessing the recovery screen but to no avail.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Hi friend, thanks in advance.

It is with the Original HD, I intended for SSD after installing the GPU.
I can't say exactly which IOS it is on, I believe it is on High Sierra.

What is PRAM?
I've tried accessing the recovery screen but to no avail.

PRAM reset:
Device:
Use a USB keyboard plug-in the USB port of the iMac, or a Bluetooth Magic Keyboard that has been paired with the iMac previously. New bluetooth keyboard will not work.
How to:
Shutdown the iMac completely.
Press and hold the following key combination: Command+Option+P+R, then power it on again while still pressing the keys.
After hearing the chimes 3 times, release the key press.

After doing PRAM reset, if the iMac has not shown any image with the K3100m, then
a) there might be some conflicts over USB port of the wifi card, which you need to find out how to fix from post #1; or
b) the card was flashed with a different vBIOS which does not provide pre-boot configuration screen (a.k.a boot-screen) and your solution can be either flash another vBIOS, or install OCLP EFI to the boot drive.

VitorSouza

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2024
PRAM reset:
Device:
Use a USB keyboard plug-in the USB port of the iMac, or a Bluetooth Magic Keyboard that has been paired with the iMac previously. New bluetooth keyboard will not work.
How to:
Shutdown the iMac completely.
Press and hold the following key combination: Command+Option+P+R, then power it on again while still pressing the keys.
After hearing the chimes 3 times, release the key press.

After doing PRAM reset, if the iMac has not shown any image with the K3100m, then
a) there might be some conflicts over USB port of the wifi card, which you need to find out how to fix from post #1; or
b) the card was flashed with a different vBIOS which does not provide pre-boot configuration screen (a.k.a boot-screen) and your solution can be either flash another vBIOS, or install OCLP EFI to the boot drive.
I connected a monitor to the DisplayPort output:

It turns white, but I can't access another screen.
I've already tried to enter recovery mode (it could be a problem with one of my keyboards) or USB...

I bought another gpu to test..... I'm not sure if this one is really working

Last edited:

Cooper21

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2024
Hello everyone, I found the firmware on this forum and flashed my k2100m card with firmware from Nick. The card started working and became visible in the boot, the problem is that it does not show the temperature of the card and the performance is the same as on the 512MB card, I did not notice the difference. I took screenshots in Windows and it doesn’t even show how many gigabytes there are. It feels like the computer is running on an integrated card.

Can someone help me figure it out?

Attachments

• My Mac 27.jpg
    My Mac 27.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 68

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Hello everyone, I found the firmware on this forum and flashed my k2100m card with firmware from Nick. The card started working and became visible in the boot, the problem is that it does not show the temperature of the card and the performance is the same as on the 512MB card, I did not notice the difference. I took screenshots in Windows and it doesn’t even show how many gigabytes there are. It feels like the computer is running on an integrated card.

Can someone help me figure it out?

Post #21665 installed K610m on 12,1 and have same result on MacsFanControl (Nikey22 flashrom no GPU temp is expected result and mentioned somewhere in this thread) and System Report (note it says Metal is supported, can't read yours in your language). CPU is i7 with iGPU (GPU PECI on MFC)

Running OCLP Big Sur and desktop user interface have proper transparencies which requires metal graphics. So is clearly running on K610m.

You are likely running on K2100m. Probably try run some metal apps to see if working well or benchmarks and compare with known K2100m results.

Reactions: Cooper21

Cooper21

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2024
Post #21665 installed K610m on 12,1 and have same result on MacsFanControl (Nikey22 flashrom no GPU temp is expected result and mentioned somewhere in this thread) and System Report (note it says Metal is supported, can't read yours in your language). CPU is i7 with iGPU (GPU PECI on MFC)

Running OCLP Big Sur and desktop user interface have proper transparencies which requires metal graphics. So is clearly running on K610m.

You are likely running on K2100m. Probably try run some metal apps to see if working well or benchmarks and compare with known K2100m results.
Thank you very much for the advice, I checked it, everything works)

Reactions: howardc64

Atanxxx00

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2024
Hello
I bought an AMD FirePro W5170M GPU in the version from DEL (green color), updated the VBIOS W5170M GOP.rom and installed Monterey OS. In Monterey OS, 14 MB of GPU VRAM is detected. In the Windows OS, VRAM is detected correctly full 2GB.
Please help me find a solution.

Computer specs. iMac:
CPU: i7-860
RAM: 24GB
GPU: FirePro W5170M
Model: iMac A1312 (iMac 11,3)

Last edited:

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Hello
I bought an AMD FirePro W5170M GPU in the version from DEL (green color), updated the VBIOS W5170M GOP.rom and installed Monterey OS. In Monterey OS, 14 MB of GPU VRAM is detected. In the Windows OS, VRAM is detected correctly full 2GB.
Please help me find a solution.

Computer specs. iMac:
CPU: i7-860
RAM: 24GB
GPU: FirePro W5170M
Model: iMac A1312 (iMac 11,3)

Can you confirm Target Model / Advanced Settings and performed Post Install Root Patch + reboot?

Screen Shot 2024-03-28 at 11.29.08 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.