Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Money

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer to this - hopefully someone with more experience with Mac Minis and Parallels can help.

I use a Windows machine at work (it runs XP) but we're upgrading our machines, and I opted for a 2011 Mini. It's just the baseline model, but I'm planning to take the 256GB Intel SSD out of the Windows machine and put it into the Mini as a second drive. I plan to run XP through Parallels.

Does anyone know if that is even possible? I remember that Parallels was able to find a Windows installation before on an old MacBook Pro that I had, but it was on the startup SSD (along with OS X), not on a separate drive.

TL;DR: can I pop a Windows XP SSD into a Mini (along with the HDD it comes with) and access the Windows drive through Parallels?

Thanks for any answers you might have.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer to this - hopefully someone with more experience with Mac Minis and Parallels can help.

I use a Windows machine at work (it runs XP) but we're upgrading our machines, and I opted for a 2011 Mini. It's just the baseline model, but I'm planning to take the 256GB Intel SSD out of the Windows machine and put it into the Mini as a second drive. I plan to run XP through Parallels.

Does anyone know if that is even possible? I remember that Parallels was able to find a Windows installation before on an old MacBook Pro that I had, but it was on the startup SSD (along with OS X), not on a separate drive.

TL;DR: can I pop a Windows XP SSD into a Mini (along with the HDD it comes with) and access the Windows drive through Parallels?

Thanks for any answers you might have.

vm fusion can do it. I never tried it with parallels.

G-Money

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
vm fusion can do it. I never tried it with parallels.

Can I run Windows programs side-by-side with OS X programs through VMware Fusion? That was the main reason I was interested in Parallels - the ability to run the two systems simultaneously, rather than just using one window that has a Windows partition in it.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

If I understand correctly you want to transplant your existing Intel SSD with Windows into the Mac mini. This should work in theory because VMware would replace many of the necessary drivers using VMware Tools. I assume Parallels has the same packaged installer. You may also want to hold down the option key and try to boot directly into windows to install the boot camp drivers.

The proper way to do this would be to use a utility like VMware migration assistant.

I currently use a boot camp partition on the second SSD with OSX on the first. I used VMware briefly, but it's not necessary since I have an iMac at the same desk. Therefore, I direct connected the Mac mini and iMac over gigabit, then RDP to the Mac mini. It's a very fast and responsive RDP session which is good enough subsitute for a VM with much more power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.