Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoegal

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
You can definitely do your video editing on a 13" mbp. I use final cut pro and iMovie on my 2011 13" i7 and it works great. Super fast. I also tried it on my 2010 mbp and the 2011 is def an improvement in sense of speed. You don't need a 15" and I really think the graphics are fine on this one. Depends on your personal preferences and standards.

pdgggg

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
london
Macbook Pro 13" okay for After Effects ?

Hi it sounds like the 13" i7 is fine for video editing, is this the case for After effects too, and for editing with plenty of video effects in Final cut or Adobe Premiere. I'd be doing short videos, under 10mins but perhaps with a lot of layers.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hi it sounds like the 13" i7 is fine for video editing, is this the case for After effects too, and for editing with plenty of video effects in Final cut or Adobe Premiere. I'd be doing short videos, under 10mins but perhaps with a lot of layers.
Do you have an external monitor at least? 1280 x 800 is not really a good resolution for DCC software.
But from a technical standpoint, the 13" will do the job, though a better GPU will help in AE.

pdgggg

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
london
Yes I have a Samsung flatscreen which is what my work is usually played back on in a gallery. Is the difference of having the Gpu from the 15" a speedup in render time or does it also make a difference in playback and previewing your effects?

pdgggg

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
london
Why is it the graphics processing for Games that is disappointing in some of the new macbook pros is not a problem for video editing? I'd like to know more about how this works. Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes I have a Samsung flatscreen which is what my work is usually played back on in a gallery. Is the difference of having the Gpu from the 15" a speedup in render time or does it also make a difference in playback and previewing your effects?

Why is it the graphics processing for Games that is disappointing in some of the new macbook pros is not a problem for video editing? I'd like to know more about how this works. Thanks

Most video editing applications using footage properly encoded (using a video editing codec instead of H.264 or something similar), don't need to take advantage of the GPU to play back the video.
AE on the other hand can use the help of the GPU in calculating all the applied effects and layers in a composition.
But editing applications will take use of the GPU more and more, as more and more footage is being delivered compressed and effects are often applied inside the video editing application.

Maybe have a look at CreativeCow, as it is quite DCC centric.

FOX160

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
I was advised by the Apple guy that the base 13inch i5 was all i need and indeed it is :) I use the Contour 1080HD head cam in imovie is all i need.
Plus I run Aperture 3 which Apple are selling on the App store for £44.99p

so yer 13inch i5 base model is all you need.

tnee

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
First of all doing any video editing in FCP is primarily something that taxes the CPU not the GPU. There isn't a whole lot of hardware accelerated stuff going on in FCP, and if you look at Premiere CS5 it only supports a very limited set of NVIDIA cards for hardware acceleration (which eliminates all the new AMD-based Macbook Pros). What really counts is CPU power, and of course a quad core i7 would be ideal.

However I just bought an i7 13" MBP (upgraded it to 8GB myself), and let me tell you that performance wise it is great. I do recommend having an external monitor for editing, but otherwise this setup is more than enough, and the i5 will be fine as well for iMovie, Final Cut etc.

I have a couple of Core2Quad 3Ghz workstations (Hackintoshes) I use for grunt work in editing and After Effects work, and this little 13" runs circles around them. It scored around 50% higher in Geekbench, and in my unscientific tests rendering out the same clips from After Effects with a lot of effects, distortions and stuff going on, it varied from being 35-110% faster. Which blew my mind. The same was true in a couple of rendering tests I did in Final Cut, and the Core2Quad is fast enough for editing as is.

So take it from somebody talking from experience, you'll be more than fine.

EDIT: clarification

@ abasak - Where did you purchase the RAM upgrade for your 2011 13' MBP?

lfshammu

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing the new 2011 Macbook Pro 13" with Intel HD Graphics 3000. Would the Intel HD Graphics 3000 be sufficient enough for myself who does video editing for recreation? I would just be using iMovie video editing software...not Final Cut Pro. I really don't want to purchase the 15" with AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5...if I don't have to. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

The graphics are one of the biggest upgrades for going to the 15". For something as graphics intesive as video editing, where its critical to have enough V-Ram, I'd have to say that its worth it to go for the 15". Plus then you have more space to edit:)

abasak

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
I would buy RAM from OWC or Newegg as mentioned (if I lived in the US).

Anyway, regarding video editing and the video card. In what I've read and experienced the jury is still out on how important a video card really is in video editing.

If you use h264, which is used in a lot of cameras, you will rely on your CPU to help you. h.264 is very heavy on the cpu, and requires a lot of horse power. Case in point: my Core2Quad with a 1gb 9800GTX+, is slower than my 13" i7. Both are equipped with 8gb of RAM.

It is true that with the new Final Cut Pro X and Motion that a lot of rendering tasks can be offloaded to the GPU, or that the GPU can help with the rendering. I am still uncertain of how much.

There is of course no doubt that the 15" is faster and better for editing, and that the graphics card is a plus. I am just unsure of how much. I've previously bought higher end Macs to get the better graphics cards and haven't really experienced that much of a boost.

But that's just me. I really like the 13", and love to not carry around my old 15"MBP and I just feel that it's a more beautiful machine. When I use it as a stationary machine I have it hooked up to my external monitor in clamshell mode. Now if you only have one computer and no extra monitor the 15" might be a better buy.

But I'd say go for the 13" i7 and get som extra RAM and a SSD drive.

EDIT:

It is true that After Effects and Premiere CAN use the GPU, but on Mac it's a very limited range of GFX cards.

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/extend.html

Neither the 6490M or the 6750M are supported.

Last edited:

chipvista

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
How do u connect the 13in macbook pro to an external monitor while there is no HDMI port ?

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Have you seen the show "Louie", on FX? The show's star and creator Louis CK also edits the (Emmy nominated) program. Guess what he does it on - A 13" macbook pro.

It'll work just fine.

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Even 2007 MacBooks will be able to edit video, therefore the 2011 MBP, even if it is the 13" one, will be able to do that too.
But prepare yourself for some waiting times, as HD consumer cameras use an MPEG-4 codec for storing the video, but iMovie will need to transcode that footage using a proper editing codec (AIC), which will take time. Thus the 2011 MBP will be faster at this than the 2010 MBP.

Thank you very much Simsaladimbamba it is good to know 2007 macbook can do video editing very well because I dont see much older 2007 model on this forum.

abasak

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
I'm afraid that it isn't as simple as that. It all depends on the video format. The "new" and widely used DSLRHD video is impossible to edit on older machines (as simsaladimbamba also points out), and there is still a noticeable lag on newer machines when working with multiple tracks. If you transcode your video files to another format, you can use your old Macbook just fine, however if you start to use any filters or effects, you will quickly bring it to it's knees.

Regarding Louis CK he probably works with low quality proxy files, when editing. After he's finished editing he relinks the project with the high quality versions and finishes the edit (or someone does). Nothing wrong with that method... it's very commonly used, just to point out that it is very unlikely that his Macbook does the final edit.

(and he still needs a powerful computer to do the transcoding, in order to be able to edit on his old macbook).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.