Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macTW

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Hi all,

I've got an Early-2011 15" MBP and fell victim to the GPU failure recently. I got the logic board replaced, for free with Apple's program covering it, but now I'm experiencing a multitude of new issues I've never experienced before. Here's a list:

-distorted portion of boot-up screen after turned on
-random wifi loss
-often up to 5 minutes (or just freezes) loading before typing in password after asleep
-various windows (Word, Safari, Messenger) leaving white footprint after closing
-extreme heat from back-left of keyboard/bottom when coding (never had that before)
-clicking on an open Word document while in Safari, computer doesn't change programs (so I can't type, etc.) until I click on border of document or use command-tab
-also, cosmetic damage (screen scratched) through repair

I have after-market RAM and an SSD, but I don't know enough about computers to know if these issues (minus the scratch) could be caused by improperly-installed RAM by the third-party Apple has do the fix, or if it's a defective replaced part. I have a Genius bar appointment Saturday to request a re-repair, unless I can figure it out by then.

PyBeck

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
Had the same issue.

The headphone jack was broken after the initial repair, so i immediately returned it again.

Got the message to pick it up the next day, immediately followed by a "Please call us urgently.". Then they told me, the replacements replacement is broken too and they need to keep it another day. When i picked it up, they told me, that the top cover, keyboard and trackpad was changed too, but they couldn't give me an explanation.

Then i had sudden reboots which i couldn't explain. At first i suspected Software so i removed every kernel driver but to no avail. Funny thing was, that there wasn't a single reboot when in Bootcamp.

Few months later i used the Hardware Test and in roughly 30% of all extended tests, it reported broken memory modules. As i'm running with custom modules, i ordered a replacement, but that didn't fix the issue, so i returned it again (roughly 5 months after the initial repair).

They kept it and replaced the logic board again for free.

Now i'm running on logic board #5 and it's fine again.

On one of the pickups, the genius told me, that the replacement parts are that old, and have serious quality issues.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.