Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eutexian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Mapperley, Nottingham UK
what hard Drives came with your mini?

just interested to compare and contrast with the Hitachi 'travelstar' that came in my 2.3 base model. (Hitachi HTS547550A9E384)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Ummmm... why? what benefit?

Let me expand on my question....

Other than 5400 vs 7200 rpm drives (which Apple clearly displays on their website), unlike SSD's, Mechanical drives are, for the most part, pretty close to the same performance in real world experience.

So what good does it to really "track" what everyone has? Especially since there are multiple options on these devices....

Last edited:

elliotn

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
The 750gb 7200rpm drives in both my mini 2.7 i7 and mini Server are Hitachi HTS727575A9E362.

eutexian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Mapperley, Nottingham UK
Ummmm... why? what benefit?

Let me expand on my question....

Other than 5400 vs 7200 rpm drives (which Apple clearly displays on their website), unlike SSD's, Mechanical drives are, for the most part, pretty close to the same performance in real world experience.

So what good does it to really "track" what everyone has? Especially since there are multiple options on these devices....

No benefit.. just to answer a question I was asked out here in the real world - earlier today. In short I was told that the high end mini's have vastly superior 'apple branded' HDDs compared to my cheap rubbish. I said no.. i'm betting they are Hitachi drives. no different to those found in many laptops. probably from the same family as my own.

I was correct. :cool:

elliotn

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Reading through the archives, it seems a few months ago Apple were using WD Scorpio Blacks as their 750Gb 7200rpm option. And users rated them highly. Just hard drives to me.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Reading through the archives, it seems a few months ago Apple were using WD Scorpio Blacks as their 750Gb 7200rpm option. And users rated them highly. Just hard drives to me.

this is not true.

wd scorpio blacks are by far the best 750gb 7200rpm hdds on the market. now since the flood in asia they are much more money so apple is putting in lessor 750gb 7200 rpm hdds like hitachi.

I have done tests with

seagate 750gb 7200 rpm hdds

hitachi 750gb 7200rpm hdds and

scorpio black 750gb 7200 hdds.

you want the scorpio blacks they are better. of course this is all pre flood info.

I have no idea if they are still making the same quality since the flood happened.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
My mini server has the 750 GB WD Scorpio Blacks. The benchmarks don't lie - they are quite fast for mechanical HDDs. As far as I am aware there aren't any "Apple branded" HDDs that are superior. Apple gets their parts from various suppliers and you're not guaranteed one or the other. It all depends on what stock is available at the time your machine is built. All you're guaranteed is the size and the RPM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.