Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjolson5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2015
I'm a new (used) iMac owner and decided to upgrade the glacial 5400rpm HDD to a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. For anyone that's concerned about doing this themselves I can attest that it really isn't that hard. It took roughly an hour. The new models don't require a thermal sensor cable so it's a direct swap.
Some tips:
  • Buy the pre-cut replacement adhesive strips. They are available form several retailers online and for <$10 on ebay. The fit perfectly.
  • Buy the plastic cutting wheel tool. It's about $10 and makes screen removal very easy. Cut all around first (careful in the camera area) and use a guitar pick to loosen all sides.
  • Follow the iFixit HDD upgrade and the adhesive strip guides.
  • Take your time and be very careful with the screen cables. They're fairly robust but I'm sure they could be damaged easily.
  • The hardest part for me was re-positioning the screen with the new adhesive - do a dry run with the liner still on the strips and make sure you have a feel for how the screen should line up. The adhesive is very strong so if you miss even a bit you may not be happy with the alignment. It might be worth buying an extra set of adhesive strips just in case you need to re-do it. I've heard that some people leave the original bottom strip on and just tilt up the screen but that didn't leave much room for my big clumsy hands.
Disclaimer - I am very comfortable working on computers and don't care much about warranty as I have a used machine. However, as many have said in other threads, if those don't apply to you, DON'T DO IT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.