Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i cant believe i sold my top spec 27 imac back in march thinking the update was a week or two away .. lol but ive gotten used to this 21.5 imac ive been using

hopefully this update will come this year

22mac

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
i cant believe i sold my top spec 27 imac back in march thinking the update was a week or two away .. lol but ive gotten used to this 21.5 imac ive been using

hopefully this update will come this year

theres some people here without an iMac and your complaining about getting used to the 21.5 model. wow

Broseidon

macrumors regular
May 8, 2012
I had a quick look at the iMacs in my local store today - considering that, post desktop death, I'm using a 14" laptop in my wait for the new iMac, the 21.5" suddenly seems massive! :D

Not sure I need that 27" after all!

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I think it's possible. Apple has made clear the future is retina. First a retina iPhone, then the iPad, then the MacBook Pro, so the only other product that's logical (apart from an Air) is a retina iMac. A retina iMac is even more logical than a MacBook Pro in my mind, because photographers, illustrators and video-editors probably would prefer the screen of an iMac over the relatively small screen of a 15,4 inch Macbook Pro.

There is only one retina MacBook Pro model. Apple can do the same for the iMac. I predict the October event will showcase the new 21.5" retina iMac. The other models will be non-retina and just get a spec bump.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Could it be that apple will do the following at that October event?
New iMacs
New Mac minis
New thunderbolt display
Retina MacBook pro 13 inch
New iPad mini

kyrrebs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Molde, Norway
Two screens

I would prefer a retina 27", but since it´s more likely that, if anything, we could see a smaller sized iMac with retina display. Either way, I would prefer to have two screens connected...via thunderbolt.

So I´m hoping for a 24" retina i Mac with a GPU poweful enough to support a new 24" Apple thunderbolt display as well. And of course with a minimum of 250 SSD as boot disk.

Unrealistic?

Anyways....my PC is dying and it is the right time to let Windows go to OS-heaven now. If we don´t see an iMac refresh in 2012, I don´t understand Apple´s sales strategy for the desktop computer...

AlphaMF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Its kinda strange.

I'm not even a bit concerned about the retina/non retina issue. I just want a better GFX and possibly an IB I7. Not even a redesign can get me geared up.

I find it strange why they didn't just stick to one more spec bump, then proceed with a redesign+ retina come haswell time.

Doing a screen redesign without retina is odd, and doubling the launch interval for the sake of retina is equally weird. THis is probably costing them dearly.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Its kinda strange.

I'm not even a bit concerned about the retina/non retina issue. I just want a better GFX and possibly an IB I7. Not even a redesign can get me geared up.

I find it strange why they didn't just stick to one more spec bump, then proceed with a redesign+ retina come haswell time.

Doing a screen redesign without retina is odd, and doubling the launch interval for the sake of retina is equally weird. THis is probably costing them dearly.

I don't care about retina either, but I figure that if it is indeed retina, it will only be on the smaller-sized model. (If a 15" rMBP costs in excess of 2000, how much would a 27" riMac cost?!)
For me, aside from the whole "not paying 2011 prices for 2011 tech at the end of 2012", the main thing is USB 3. I end up keeping my computers for longer than I would like to, and USB 3 storage is getting very cheap. I'd like to take advantage of that.
I'm not even too amped up on graphics, in fact I'm not even up to date about that at all. I'm coming from a 2006 iMac and everything would feel damn fast to me anyway. :D

Tanda

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I am hopping that Apple is not implementing retina on the desktop yet. I rather have the screen real-estate and performance.

I am still on my first Mac (MacBook Pro 17 - 2006) and now I am waiting for the next revision of iMac 27". If they mess up I will go for a refurbished 2011 model or a Hackintosh.

As long my MBP keeps working I am okay to wait.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Just a questions has the amazon US page ever shown - available in 1 - 2 month before? It's says this now for the base 21.5 and 2 others.

kyrrebs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Molde, Norway
Clearly Amazon has inside information about when the new iMacs are coming. I think this is a clear sign that we are going to be served a gem very soon :)

nicklaz0r

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
Sweden
We don't know how much different it will be, but we know they are doing something different with the glass, and that it had manufacturing issues, and it's coming.

Yesterday wasn't a big date. Yesterday was probably the one day you could circle on your calendar and say nope, DEFINITELY not this day. Adobe isn't going to talk about Acrobat Reader in a Photoshop event, and Apple isn't going to talk about Macs at an iPhone event. That they demonstrated anything at all happening on a Mac (new iTunes) is somewhat remarkable.

Similarly, watch for the iPad Mini event.. and then get about 2 weeks away from it. Sure, they might do one event with iPad Mini, 13" rMBP, new iMacs, and perhaps even revised iPads.. but that seems too unfocused for an Apple event. I find it far more likely that the 13" rMBP and the new iMacs will arrive silently in the night on a date where nothing relating to iOS is happening.

If you actually believe something stupid as an iPad Mini to be announced, you can kiss the 2012 iMac goodbye.

AlphaMF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
If you actually believe something stupid as an iPad Mini to be announced, you can kiss the 2012 iMac goodbye.

haha what :)? out of all posts of all times, this is probably the one which I understood the least :D

----------

Link here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=imac

Nice find! And no, I have never seen that and I have reguarly been checking iMac Amazon stock in .com, .co.uk, .de and .jp since early summer. :eek:

That is dangerously peculiar. However 3rd party resellers have been low on stock for a while. The apple stores on the other hand seem to keep supply up pretty well. Maybe they are centering all their iMacs to internal inventory.

It definitely interesting, good find!

shortie8512

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Guildford, UK
I'm hoping for a 27", a 24", and a retina 21". :rolleyes:

Retina for desktops is at least a year away, if not longer. Look at the price difference for the rMBP in comparison to the "normal" model ($400), now scale that up to 21.5" display and you'd be looking at more like $1000 price difference. The cost is too high, no one is making screens that size at that resolution and the graphics hardware required to cope with that sort of resolution (approx 3840x2160) if it even exists would cost a fortune too.

I think we'll see re-engineering/design in readiness to support retina when it becomes economically viable to offer an iMac with retina. I would like to see Apple support dual HD's as standard - a small SSD for the OS (say 60gb) and a secondary drive for everything else (ideally accessible so it can be replaced/upgraded easily). This would make sense and can be done without affecting the price of the iMac and provide an additional performance boost on top of a spec bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.