Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Hi,
With resolution set to 1680x1050 on the login screen does it still default to retina resolution and then once logging in the screen flickers as it changes to 1680?

Sure mine never did it before Yosemite...

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Hi,
With resolution set to 1680x1050 on the login screen does it still default to retina resolution and then once logging in the screen flickers as it changes to 1680?

Sure mine never did it before Yosemite...
Nope. Set it to 1680x1050 and logged out then logged back in. It just went dark very briefly and slapped me right back where I was in my work.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
"VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB"

And yeah, that is my experience too. I had Yosemite taking HDD times to boot during the first beta.

Thanks ! Well that is good that 10.11 is already faster than the first Yosemite beta :D

So it seems that metal may be supported on these 2012 machines, from what i read a few posts down.. I wonder if increasing the max VRAM from 1000MB to 1500MB has anything to do with metal?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Mine does indeed support Metal. HD Graphics 4000
YESSSSSSSSSS

THANK GOODNESS.

A long story, but my Macbook Pro 2012 got replaced with a retina pro under warn arty and I've sold that to a family member and re bought a 2012 Pro because the retina pro really doesn't suit me and it was a really hard decision to make as I was afraid something was going too be announced at WWDC which would have made me hate my decision even more :p

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Oh dude wtf I would have traded you my 2012 MacBook Pro for a retina :(((((( I love that machine so much.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Oh dude wtf I would have traded you my 2012 MacBook Pro for a retina :(((((( I love that machine so much.

Well, the price difference allowed me got get the 2012 with i7 + 1 1TB SSD and 16GB of ram instead of the i5 + 8GB of ram and 512GB of SSD.

I was allready outgrowing the 8GB ram in my old 2012 cMBP so getting stuck with 8GB of soldered ram would have killed it for me.

In the end its an upgrade. I get a i7 Mac (that comes close to the i5 that I was offered as a replacement in geek bench), I get an upgrade to a 1 TB SSD up from the 1 TB HDD in my old mac, and I get an upgrade to 16GB of ram from the 8GB in my old one.

I also use Firewire, Ethernet, the Optical Drive, The IR sensor and also I hate the force touch trackpad. It doesn't click how I like even with the clicking settings changed. Essentially, while the 2015 Macbook Retina is a nice machine, it wouldn't have fulfilled my needs.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Well, the price difference allowed me got get the 2012 with i7 + 1 1TB SSD and 16GB of ram instead of the i5 + 8GB of ram and 512GB of SSD.

I was allready outgrowing the 8GB ram in my old 2012 cMBP so getting stuck with 8GB of soldered ram would have killed it for me.

In the end its an upgrade. I get a i7 Mac (that comes close to the i5 that I was offered as a replacement in geek bench), I get an upgrade to a 1 TB SSD up from the 1 TB HDD in my old mac, and I get an upgrade to 16GB of ram from the 8GB in my old one.

I also use Firewire, Ethernet, the Optical Drive, The IR sensor and also I hate the force touch trackpad. It doesn't click how I like even with the clicking settings changed. Essentially, while the 2015 Macbook Retina is a nice machine, it wouldn't have fulfilled my needs.
Hahaha, that's funny. Truly different people :^).

Glad you are happy with your machine though!

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Hahaha, that's funny. Truly different people :^).

Glad you are happy with your machine though!

I will be happy when I receive it.

It truly killed me to turn down a brand new top of the line Retina Macbook, but it just would not have filled my needs..

I've found that ram seems to be more of a bottleneck than the processor, so I am fine with a Ivy Bridge i7 which is slightly slower than a Broadwell i5, as it means I have the ability to go to 16GB of ram.

Also in the end.. I was perfectly happy with mu i5 2012 cMBP - it was the perfect laptop for me and the plan was to eventually go to 16 GB of ram and a SSD, so it was actually a blessing to have it die, as I have ended up with an even better machine and the funds to get an SSD and more ram.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
It looks like Metal requires a GPU with OpenCL, meaning my model of 13" Pro (2011) is left out in the dark in that respect. Either which way, the system is still very responsive, more so then Yosemite. I have had a crash here and there, but I think that was because I did an over the top upgrade from 10.10.4 Beta 3. So far, after a clean install and using Time Machine to restore, it has been working like a dream.

FWIW, my 2011 MBP boots up El Cap faster then it did Yosemite and it has a Samsung 840 EVO SSD. I don't know why your boot up times are so slow. I just hope Apple will continue to support these models of Macs. They are still very capable but if the UI is built upon Metal in the future, we're *******.

randmanz

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
If you have any questions/requests you want me to try out, ask here.

Any major older apps not running? (Abobe stuff... Premiere Pro 6, PC CC version 14).

Any reasons to not go for it? (Mid '12 Pro with SSD and Cinema 30" display).

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Any major older apps not running? (Abobe stuff... Premiere Pro 6, PC CC version 14).

Any reasons to not go for it? (Mid '12 Pro with SSD and Cinema 30" display).
Everything I have tried with it has worked, especially on GM/Final public release.

I really don't see why not. ElCap has eliminated some occasional stutter I noticed on mid13pro with a really beefy external display. You will only notice improvements I would bet :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.