Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Hi, I purchased a new monitor (Dell Ultrasharp U2717D) for my Mini. Hooked it up and it was running fine but then I noticed it was off. It wont restart. The Apple logo/progress bar appears but it shuts down with about 1/4" left on the progress bar.

When I try to boot into recovery mode I get 2 flashing images. I cant get past this step. A Google search was unsuccessful.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Trvlngnrs

IMG_4146.png
IMG_4147.png

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Could the bottom image be the bottom of Apple's mouse and it wants me to pair it?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
top image is looking for a magic keyboard, bottom image is looking for a magic mouse.
The images mean that you don't have anything connected, either mouse or keyboard, and it shows you where the power switch on either the keyboard or mouse is located, in case that's all you need to do.
If you can't get past those icons, then plug in a wired USB keyboard/mouse.

Finally, the symptom (shuts off during boot, before progress bar fills in) is often a failing hard drive.
Do you have a hard drive, or do you have an SSD in your mini?

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
top image is looking for a magic keyboard, bottom image is looking for a magic mouse.
The images mean that you don't have anything connected, either mouse or keyboard, and it shows you where the power switch on either the keyboard or mouse is located, in case that's all you need to do.
If you can't get past those icons, then plug in a wired USB keyboard/mouse.

Finally, the symptom (shuts off during boot, before progress bar fills in) is often a failing hard drive.
Do you have a hard drive, or do you have an SSD in your mini?

Yes, However the top picture is depicting the new magic track pad as the computer is looking for a mouse (Look at the 5th image here so see the similarity). Either way the computer cannot see any any peripherals. Maybe try a different keyboard or mouse if you already have them plugged in, or if they are plugged into the monitor as your monitor supports, try plugging your keyboard and mouse directly into the Mac Mini instead. If you are using a Bluetooth mouse then now would be the time to turn it on and put the mouse into pairing mode, if any. Do the same for the Keyboard if asked.

Last edited:

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Got it, thanks guys!

I was able to boot up in recovery mode and reinstalled the operating system. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I have the 1.1TB Fusion drive... Is it one or two physical drives... in case I need to look at replacing it/them?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I don't think this has -anything- to do with the SSD or the HDD inside...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.