Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papakevin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
I have an older Macbook Pro, A1398 EMC2673 (2013) Core i7 which seemed to be working fine. Because I'm an idiot, I downloaded an update to the OS and installed it before I did a backup. Now it won't boot.

I can turn it on and get to the login screen. I put in my password and the status bar only makes it about 1/2 way before it shuts down. I've reset the NVRAM using the command, option P+R and pressed shift during boot up to try to get it into safe mode. When booting in safe mode, the status bar gets all the way to the right, freezes, not allowing me to access anything in safe mode.

I don't recall if I was running Sierra, High Sierra, or Big Sir, I just recall trying to update. I do have a new 14" Macbook Pro on order, but trying to get this one going to use while I wait. Any suggestions on the next steps are appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you boot to INTERNET recovery?

Command-OPTION-R
at boot.

This IS NOT THE SAME as "the recovery partition".

Give it a try and get back to us.

If you can get that far, you have several options in front of you.

But before I reveal what they are, see if you can boot to internet recovery, as above...

papakevin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
Fishrrman, thank you!!!

I had no idea that option was available and it solved my issue. I was able to access the web and successfully update the macOS to Catalina. My MacBook seems to be working fine now, so making a Time Machine backup now while I can.

Thank you again.... totally awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.