Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I was having problems initially, until I discovered how to enable the 5mhz AC band. Now my Air connects super fast all over the house. I'm getting excellent transmit rates and 5 bars.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
These positive reports about the new MBAs will never do. MR is about complaining, whining, and finding microscopic defects in obscure places on the device.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
No problems here.

Oddly enough on Friday afternoon I got a call from Apple support about the issue, yet I never reported any problem to them. The only thing I did was mention in the thread on their support forum that mine was working fine and the places I've connected. Anyone else get an out of the blue call from Apple?

cjhmr

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
I have had intermittent problems connecting to a router less than 6 feet away on my new MBA, whereas my iPhone and old 2007 MacBook worked fine.

When the issue was occurring, I noticed that only my network was showing up (although I couldn't connect to it), not any of the many nearby ones. When trying to connect to my network, I'd get an error message that said "Could not join "(network name)". A connection timeout occurred."

After trying the most common tips on the internet (creating a new location, renewing the DHCP lease, etc), nothing seemed to work. Then I unplugged my external USB 3 hard drive and the MacBook Air connected to the network immediately.

After searching a bit, I found an article that mentioned in some cases external USB 3 hard drives can cause interference with wifi. The drive was not only very close to the MBA, but directly in the line of sight between the router and the MBA. So I can still use the external drive, but I now have it located as far away from the computer as the cable will allow.

Problem solved! I wonder how many others with "MBA wifi issues" are having the same issue? Hopefully this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.